Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #101
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
May 2013. Book it.

Personally I could care less, never played any of them and won't be playing this one.
you should try caring about this thread as much as you care about GTA
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #102
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For those who actually believe Los Santos will be the size of Red Dead, GTA IV and San Andreas combined, be prepared to not see this. There is no way the game will be this big.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #103
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
For those who actually believe Los Santos will be the size of Red Dead, GTA IV and San Andreas combined, be prepared to not see this. There is no way the game will be this big.
Why do you think that? The art director was interviewed for the new game and said... "Los Santos is bigger than the worlds of Red Dead Redemption, San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, with room to spare. This expansive environment includes beachfronts, wine country, a large wilderness area surrounding a fully explorable Mt. Chiliad, a Salton Sea region, a military base, and of course the sprawling sub-urban hills leading up to the bustling centre of Los Santos. Bring your scuba equipment, too, because you can even explore the fully detailed ocean floor along the Los Santos coastline."

Seems like he'd know what he's talking about as he worked on the designs for all games mentioned.

Also, check out this excerpt from the Gameinformer article. Hard not to get excited after reading it.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Rhettzky; 11-09-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Rhettzky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhettzky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #104
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope they remember to make it fun this time. GTA4 had some of the most repetitive and annoying gameplay I've ever experienced, it was either: kill some drug dealers or run some errands. All the inventive and crazier missions from the previous games seemed non-existent and it felt like the game took itself waaaaaaaaay too seriously. I got about 10 hours in before I stopped expecting it to turn into a fun game and haven't played again.

Then I played Saints Row 3, a GTA imitator that was about a million times better than GTA5. They understood that fun is being able to dress up like a superhero, throw someone off a building, parachute down after them and then beat their corpse with a giant purple dildo. I had more fun in the first 30 minutes of this game than I ever did in GTA4.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #105
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Also, check out this excerpt from the Gameinformer article. Hard not to get excited after reading it.

Spoiler!
Ya, if anyone's interested in reading the entire 18 page article that excerpt's from, that's what that 2nd link is in my last post, in the edit. Just looked back at it and realized I didn't make that very clear.

Hilarious how you can actually give people the finger in this, and depending who it is, they'll react differently.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #106
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I hope they remember to make it fun this time. GTA4 had some of the most repetitive and annoying gameplay I've ever experienced, it was either: kill some drug dealers or run some errands. All the inventive and crazier missions from the previous games seemed non-existent and it felt like the game took itself waaaaaaaaay too seriously. I got about 10 hours in before I stopped expecting it to turn into a fun game and haven't played again.

Then I played Saints Row 3, a GTA imitator that was about a million times better than GTA5. They understood that fun is being able to dress up like a superhero, throw someone off a building, parachute down after them and then beat their corpse with a giant purple dildo. I had more fun in the first 30 minutes of this game than I ever did in GTA4.
and Saints Row got the whole "vehicles that are fun to drive" concept down way better than GTA ever has
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #107
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My guess is the cities will be roughly equivalent to how San Andreas was structured, but the surrounding areas will be where the mass comes from. I don't actually like cities that are too big (Liberty City remains my favourite) because half the fun of the games for me is jumping in a car and going wherever I want without needing the map. A lot of time in San Andreas was spent broken up for me as I checked the map almost constantly.

I agree that 4 took the realism a bit too far. Personally I feel Vice City was the best at getting the missions to be a balance of realistic and fun. San Andreas was cool, but it got a little silly. 4 was like being an actual hit man, which was cool, but by the time you go on your 30th mission to assassinate somebody it got a little tired.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #108
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
and Saints Row got the whole "vehicles that are fun to drive" concept down way better than GTA ever has
The first GTA 3 seemed to have that. You worked your way up from the inner city cars which sucked so that when you got the sports cars you really noticed it, and they were crazy fast. Also the first time you jacked a bus, or a semi, it was a big deal. Also, grabbing a tank was like 'holy s*** I have a f****** tank!'.

I have noticed the vehicles since then have been less and less fun, especially in 4. I don't know if it's cause we're used to them, you can get them earlier and easier, or if they've actually made them too realistic now. Probably a bit of everything.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #109
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Even in sleeping dogs I found it enjoyable to drive across the map. In GTA 4 after a while I just took taxi's all the time.
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KOgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #110
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

GTA4 had a good selection of motorcycles though.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:27 AM   #111
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

4.5 hours until Trailer #2 is released.

Can't wait!!
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #112
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy crap, new trailer looks awesome. This game is going to be epic.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #113
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is gonna be fun.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #114
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

MOAR!

This looks epic
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #115
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for this game. After a whole year of complete silence, nice to see the marketing push finally get going this week. Tells ya we're finally getting close(ish)!
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #116
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Michael's going to be new favourite GTA character, I can already tell. Also, this is going to look some pretty with all the settings turned up to high once it's finally released on the PC!

Last edited by HPLovecraft; 11-14-2012 at 10:58 AM.
HPLovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #117
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
Even in sleeping dogs I found it enjoyable to drive across the map. In GTA 4 after a while I just took taxi's all the time.
Me too, but I found driving around got tedious in every GTA game and loved the option to just go where you needed to go quickly. Although it would suck when you weren't careful and got dropped off in the middle of nowhere with no cars in sight.

Loved GTA IV, but not as much as San Andreas. Either way it's going to be an awesome game.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 AM   #118
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

In case anybody still hasn't seen it:

It really looks like they took some direction from people who felt 4 was too boring and repetitive. Fighter jets and train crashes? I'd buy that for a dollar.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #119
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

As long as I don't have someone calling me every 5 minutes to go bowling.

Man that song alone makes me want to buy the game, what song is that.

EDIT: NM I'm an idiot.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #120
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope you can still cause mayhem by driving a fire truck the wrong way in downtown or on fireways again. That is so much fun to do in GTA 4.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote