Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2024, 05:16 PM   #2361
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'll say this: It looks gorgeous.

However! I have found my interest in Star Wars significantly increased with the lack of Space Wizards and this show feels like it decided to lean in the opposite direction.

"MOAR SPACE WIZARDRY!!!"

Which...visually, can look pretty cool, I'll grant you, but there has to be more to it than that, otherwise its not going to hold up.

Apart from Andor it feels like they're just trying to make these shows look good rather than tell a good story. Is it like the 'Avatar Effect?'

"Most of our target demographic dont care about story and are easily distracted by explosions, lightsabers and shiny objects! MORE!!"

Fair I don't mind it if the focus is on making the Sith awesome like they are instead of the train wreck of the last movie of the Sequel.

I really want to see the Jedi enter every scene to a John Williams style version of the keystone cops scene.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 05:28 PM   #2362
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Fair I don't mind it if the focus is on making the Sith awesome like they are instead of the train wreck of the last movie of the Sequel.

I really want to see the Jedi enter every scene to a John Williams style version of the keystone cops scene.
Who are the known Sith during the time this show takes place?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:10 PM   #2363
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think its the end of the High Republic era a 100 years before the Phantom Menace.

In the new EU I'm not too sure who the master and apprentice would have been.

In Legends, Darth Tenebrus was a Master about 167 years before the Battle of Yavin and its likely that Darth Plagueis would have been the Apprentice, then Plagueis killed his master and took on Palpatine as his apprentice about 30 years before Phantam menace.

This series could screw up the time line unless they either break the rule of 2, as they could introduce Plagueis as the Master and this Acolyte as the apprentice, then the apprentice dies and Plagueis takes on Palpatine.

But the series takes place too far in the past for us to see Palpatine.

And the Acolyte can't rise to be a master because it would break lore.

If it is Plagueis it could be interesting, because he was a far bigger ahole the Palpatine.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:20 PM   #2364
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet, I absolutely cannot wait to read all the bitching and complaining you guys are gonna do about this show when it comes out!
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 06:21 PM   #2365
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Plagueis quotes

Quote:
“Evil? What is that? ...You said you were death itself. Are you evil, then, or are you simply stronger and more awake than others? Who gives more shape to sentient history: the good, who adhere to the tried and true, or those who seek to rouse beings from their stupor and lead them to glory? A storm you are, but a much needed one, to wash away the old and complacent and prune the galaxy of deadweight."

Quote:
“Where the Jedi courted power, the Sith lusted after it; where the Jedi believed they knew the truth, the Sith possessed it. Owned by the dark side, they ultimately became their knowledge.”

Quote:
“Consider the mind-set of the anarchist who plans to sacrifice himself for a cause.
For the weeks, months, possibly years leading up to the day he straps a thermal detonator to his chest and executes his task, he has lived in and strengthened by the secret he carries, knowing the toll his act will take. So it has been for the Sith, residing in a secret, sacred place of knowledge for one thousand years, and knowing the toll our acts will take. This is power, Sidious. Where the Jedi, by contrast, are like beings who, as they move among the healthy, keep secret the fact that they are dying of a terminal illness. The true power needn’t bare claws or fangs, or announce itself with snarls and throaty barks, Sidious. It can subdue with manacles of shimmer silk, purposeful charisma and political astuteness"

Quote:
Evil? What is that? . Are you evil, then, or are you simply stronger and more awake than others? Who gives more shape to sentient history the good, who adhere to the tried and true, or those who seek to rouse beings from their stupor and lead them to glory?

Old 03-19-2024, 09:31 PM   #2366
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I can’t stop laughing at this.

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 09:36 PM   #2367
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Carrie Ann Moss as a Jedi seems so obvious that it's hard to believe it's taken this long
What? Carrie Ann Moss? I missed that when I watched the trailer...

... now I re-watched it and I can't figure out how I missed that!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:23 PM   #2368
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think its the end of the High Republic era a 100 years before the Phantom Menace.

In the new EU I'm not too sure who the master and apprentice would have been.

In Legends, Darth Tenebrus was a Master about 167 years before the Battle of Yavin and its likely that Darth Plagueis would have been the Apprentice, then Plagueis killed his master and took on Palpatine as his apprentice about 30 years before Phantam menace.

This series could screw up the time line unless they either break the rule of 2, as they could introduce Plagueis as the Master and this Acolyte as the apprentice, then the apprentice dies and Plagueis takes on Palpatine.

But the series takes place too far in the past for us to see Palpatine.

And the Acolyte can't rise to be a master because it would break lore.

If it is Plagueis it could be interesting, because he was a far bigger ahole the Palpatine.
This would be potentially the first appearance of Plagueis then? Seems like kind of a big deal, no?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:25 AM   #2369
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Potentially, I mean the book was outstanding and Basically stated that Plagueis was around for the events of the Phantom Menace and Palpatine murdered him in his sleep on the night before he was going to become the Supreme Chancellor.

He was mentioned in the Phantom Menace novel as well when Sidious recalled lessons that were taught to him by his master.

Palpatine didn't lie at all when he promised Anakin the secret to saving the one he loved. Plagueis had figured out that secret and on the night that Palpatine murdered him, Palpatine wasn't convinced that he had actually killed him.

But while the secret was out there, It was basically lost, and that's why Palpatine worked to do the cloning thing.

Also Plagueis in the book about him went to meet Anakin at Padme's apartment because he was convinced that the force had created him in an act of revenge after the Sith threw the Force out of balance and moved it towards the darkside.

Just for fun the exert when Palpatine murdered his master.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:18 AM   #2370
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if you're expecting Darth Vegas in the show, you're probably setting yourself up for a letdown.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:40 AM   #2371
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There’s too many damn “Darth’s”. Do they just hand those titles out to any hopeful Sith contender??
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:16 AM   #2372
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were Sith, I'd take the name Darth, so when I'm badass enough, I can be Darth Darth.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:20 AM   #2373
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If I were Sith, I'd take the name Darth, so when I'm badass enough, I can be Darth Darth.
There's an allergist in town named Doctor Doctor, so Darth Darth isn't that big of a leap.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:21 AM   #2374
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
There's an allergist in town named Doctor Doctor, so Darth Darth isn't that big of a leap.
Did he give you the news?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 04:52 PM   #2375
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
There’s too many damn “Darth’s”. Do they just hand those titles out to any hopeful Sith contender??

There aren't all that many Darth's after Darth Bane created the rule of 2. I mean over 2000 years there were maybe 2 Darth per generation.

The interesting part of it was before the rise of Bane, there would be thousands of Darth's as they would tend to form an army of them. The title had no meaning as you'd basically have Darth Janitor sweeping up in the cafeteria.

Then Bane stated that Darth should be a title that was given to the most powerful of the Sith Lords both as a reward and a warning as taking up the title put a target on your back.

The last Sith in legends to raise an army was Darth Ruin, who was a extremely egotistical former Jedi who actually created order 66 before it was a thing, and used dissatisfied Jedi to kill their masters. Then he made the Sith order all about himself and changed the Sith Code.

There is no passion…there is solely obsession.

There is no knowledge. There is solely conviction.

There is no purpose. There is solely will.

There is nothing… Only me.

So of course all the other Darth just jumped him and killed him.

What I found stupid in the sequel trilogy was the whole idea of a Sith Eternal cult. The idea of which goes against the whole nature of the Sith. Palpatine in the PT was using people for the sake of using them, and they never knew he was a Sith Lord and he wouldn't want them too.

Most people in the pre empire and empire didn't even know he was a force user. I think there were only three or four, and his apprentice was one of them. Tarkin didn't even know originally.

Everyone just thought he was originally this heroic public servant dedicated to democracy and saving the republic and turned it into the empire for the good of all. And he was so wise and smart that he had a powerful force user to act as his second in command.

With the Sith eternal there was too much of a chance of betrayal and exposure.

And it looked stupid.