Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #3881
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s bananas. It’s like they’re playing be a GM mode in the show right now. Although I can’t see how a guy like Bauer, who wants to pitch in a 4 day rotation, would feel in a rotation like that. That’s also a lot of personality for one pitching staff. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #3882
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357757577715732484

lol

Come on you doosh, get it over with. Pretty full of himself.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #3883
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1357777208710938624

Thank goodness that's finally over.

Glad he's in the NL. Smart move for him if he wants to win.

Now I hope the rest of the pitchers start falling like dominos.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #3884
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good thing for the Mets that they traded for Lindor & Carrasco I guess, because they sure got clowned by all the big name free agents.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #3885
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mets actually were pretty reasonable with their spending. They made the decision to not go all out and overpay, which I can’t critique them for. The other teams were just willing to overpay and it very well may hurt them in the future. Who knows.

As for Bauer, pretty crazy to have two of the best pitchers around. I’m glad to a large degree he didn’t come here. That ego.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:03 PM   #3886
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NL West between Padres and Dodgers is going to be like a steel cage death match
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #3887
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
As for Bauer, pretty crazy to have two of the best pitchers around. I’m glad to a large degree he didn’t come here. That ego.
Honestly I don't care much about the ego... I kinda like guys with some swagger. What I don't like is the fact that he pairs that ego with being a giant ####### and from a performance standpoint he's not a team player. To clarify on that last bit... teams invest heavily on, and employ a lot of people (statisticians, Kinesiologists, doctors, trainers, etc. etc.) to coax maximum performance and durability of performance out of these people and Bauers always been like "nah, Imma gonna do my own thing".

I'm glad he's signed into the National League (because issues aside he's a really good top tier pitcher), and I'm glad he's signed in general because it'll get the market moving on the middle tier of starter from which I hope the Jays can pluck someone good.
Parallex is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 01:15 PM   #3888
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, you gotta think that the Dodgers buttholes were puckering looking at the Padres roster. So they needed to make some moves themselves to provide relief.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:41 PM   #3889
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This deal has the Dodgers over the luxury tax threshold. I wonder if they'll be looking to clear some salary by moving Price? Maybe the Jays could get a prospect for taking him on, and he'd still likely be their 2nd best starter at this point.

Not many teams out there looking to take on salary right now either.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #3890
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

Bauer will make $45 million in 2021.

That's more than the Indians, Pirates and Orioles entire payrolls, about the same as the Marlins entire payroll, and only $5 million shy of the Rays payroll.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #3891
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This deal has the Dodgers over the luxury tax threshold. I wonder if they'll be looking to clear some salary by moving Price? Maybe the Jays could get a prospect for taking him on, and he'd still likely be their 2nd best starter at this point.

Not many teams out there looking to take on salary right now either.
I would have to think that the Dodgers would eat a significant amount of Price's salary to move him. I would take a long look at him if I was the Jays. He is 35 and didn't pitch last year, so who knows what he will be over the next two seasons. If you can get him for $10m a season it's worth a look
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 03:11 PM   #3892
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Bauer contract. I can't even...Like wow. Opt out after the next 2 seasons at 40+ per. Basically the Dodgers are going to be paying him 1.5 million per start... Bauer's good, he won the Cy Young after all, but his career hasn't been strong enough to completely bend a team over like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 01:17 AM   #3893
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That Bauer contract. I can't even...Like wow. Opt out after the next 2 seasons at 40+ per. Basically the Dodgers are going to be paying him 1.5 million per start... Bauer's good, he won the Cy Young after all, but his career hasn't been strong enough to completely bend a team over like that.
I don’t think the Dodgers care - to them, it’s a 2 year deal for a 30 year old pitcher who can help them win another Word Series.

It’s only money to them. And way less risk. They’re probably looking at Cole’s $300m deal and going “wait, you only want $102, and really only $80? Where do we sign?”

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 02-08-2021 at 01:19 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM   #3894
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have seen a few reports that the Jays are looking at Marwin Gonzalez. Not sure I get that target, can play all over the diamond which is great, but he can't hit without a garbage can. I would rather save the money and just go with Espinal as the utility guy off the bench.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #3895
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, in the case of a couple of injuries happening, I'd way rather trot Marwin Gonzales out there every day for a while than Espinal. Probably not going to cost much either, to be honest. A few million maybe? On a 1 year deal? Chump change in MLB, and not binding what so ever. He'd also bring that switch hitting element off the bench, and a veteran presence, where as Espinal only brings another (weak) right handed bat, and almost no experience at all.

Marwin is an actual proven MLB part time / bench player. Espinal is at best AAAA, and I'm not sure he'll be anything more than that.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 02-08-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 10:08 PM   #3896
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Title: Changes to baseball may reduce MLB offenses in 2021

https://theathletic.com/news/mlb-bas...e/XgqBpvAcNP49

Stupid app won’t let me copy anything, so here goes.

Quote:
in an attempt by MLB to reduce the source of rising home run rates league wide in recent years, the construction of baseballs will change slightly, multiple sources confirmed to the Athletic

The Athletic obtained an internal memo MLB sent Friday to General Managers, Asst General Managers, and Equipment Managers outlining minor changes that might reduce offense slightly in the 2021 season

(Snip)
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:15 AM   #3897
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean that there won't be that red bouncy ball centre that all of the pitchers were complaining about the last couple of years? Good. Fewer blisters for starters, too.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:16 AM   #3898
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like it I think.

I don't think it will hurt the Jays hitters too much, most of them absolutely mash. Plus, it might actually help the pitching staff as a whole.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #3899
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://stoeten.substack.com/p/rumou...onday-february

Athletic article is paywalled, but Stoeten posted some about it in the above link. Basically ball is slightly smaller but also slightly deader. Should be roughly 5% less HRs from some estimates.

The only Jay batter I worry about is Biggio and Gurriel. The other Jays hitters smash the crap out of the ball. Biggio and Gurriel are our worst fastball hitters and Biggio had a number of home runs barely clear the fence.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:51 AM   #3900
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know I might be in the minority on this, but I would love baseball to go back to the days of stolen bases, hit and runs, sac bunts and sac fly's. Having every hitter just go up there and swing for home runs and strike out more often than not really makes it a less interesting sport to watch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post: