Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2021, 03:45 PM   #3861
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
That's gone the way of the dodo bird. Montoyo's using the no third time through the order strategy so be prepared to be frustrated.
Baseball is run by such a bunch of sackless nerds.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:31 PM   #3862
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Baseball is run by such a bunch of sackless nerds.
Agree. If managers don't have a feel for the ebbs and flows of a game, and start pulling pitchers while they are sporting a no-no or a perfect game, there's going to be a revolution.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:03 PM   #3863
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ya there has to be some sort of discretion involved with this third time through the order theory, especially seeing as the Rays lost the WS by being dogmatic on this philosophy. I think it made the most sense in a shortened season when you had expanded rosters, but in 162 games I can't see this being sustainable.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:30 AM   #3864
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Ya there has to be some sort of discretion involved with this third time through the order theory, especially seeing as the Rays lost the WS by being dogmatic on this philosophy. I think it made the most sense in a shortened season when you had expanded rosters, but in 162 games I can't see this being sustainable.
6 man rotations The 6th day being a bullpen day

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:12 PM   #3865
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...3bu-story.html

Quote:
I’m told the six years/$150 million the Jays gave Springer particularly consternated other clubs since, despite bidding against themselves once Steve Cohen and the Mets reportedly dropped out at six years /$120 million, the Jays still gave Springer the number he was asking for.
Quote:
is speculation that Rogers Communications, which also owns the TV and radio rights to the Blue Jays games, forgave the rebate owed them by the team for the loss of all the games last year, which was as much as $75-100 million. If so, that would be considered outside revenue, and it’s understandable if the rest of the teams in baseball — particularly the large market clubs like the Yankees, Mets, Phillies, Red Sox and Cubs who will be paying revenue sharing in 2021 — could be feeling they have subsidized all this Blue Jay spending this winter.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #3866
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It’s not like the Jays are the only baseball team who also owns their tv broadcaster. See Yankees for example and a few others.

Edit: plus I don’t think the Jays are getting revenue sharing, I guess they could argue the Jays should put more in revenue sharing themselves. I don’t expect much to come from this but who knows.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:54 PM   #3867
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Robert Murray of FanSided is reporting that the Jays are looking Trevor Rosenthal. He would really help solidify the bullpen. Between him and Yates, the 8th and 9th innings would be locked down.

Rosenthal averaged 98mph on his fastball last year, as long as his control stays he is a very good high leverage reliever.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:17 AM   #3868
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rosenthal is also 12.1 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in his career. He also has 132 career saves. Exactly what you want coming into high leverage situations.

Yates
Romano
Rosenthal
Dolls

Could be a pretty sweet set of late inning/high leverage relievers. Hopefully the signing happens.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 02-01-2021 at 04:43 AM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 03:23 AM   #3869
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cry me a ####ing river. The richest ownership in the sport is throwing some money around.

I thought the goal was to win.

Oh right, this is baseball. The goal is to pay another team $50M while the star you developed wins them playoff games while you hoard all those sweet, sweet Top-100 prospects who aren’t as good as what you already have.

Say what you will about Gary, if any NHL owner tried to pull the #### that half the MLB views as standard operating procedure, he would make them sell their team.

Absolutely embarrassing. I don’t even really like the Springer signing that much, but I’m tempted to buy t-shirt to reward Rogers for the effort.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 02-04-2021 at 02:52 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #3870
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Even if you don't like the Springer signing on it's actual player ability, you should like it because it means big daddy Rogers has opened up the vault again.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2021, 08:11 PM   #3871
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jays signed Francisco Liriano, and will be a non roster invite to spring training. He's a reliever at this point.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 PM   #3872
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me wants to see the Jays throw some money at EE for a show me contract. He’s still unsigned(afaik) and could platoon 1B/DH with Vladdy and Tellez. Especially if Vladdy wants reps at 3B and Im still not sold on Tellez as a big leaguer.

Of course this is being said with some nostalgia in mind,because Id love nothing more than watching Tellez hit moon shots. It’s just the parrot. How dope is that ####ing parrot?
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:27 PM   #3873
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Part of me wants to see the Jays throw some money at EE for a show me contract. He’s still unsigned(afaik) and could platoon 1B/DH with Vladdy and Tellez. Especially if Vladdy wants reps at 3B and Im still not sold on Tellez as a big leaguer.

Of course this is being said with some nostalgia in mind,because Id love nothing more than watching Tellez hit moon shots. It’s just the parrot. How dope is that ####ing parrot?
I love EE, and I would cry tears of nostalgia to see him back. But, not at the expense of Vladdy seeing 3B time.

If Tellez ends up being part of a trade package to improve SP, then by all means let’s bring in EE.

But this team can not house EE, Tellez, and Vladdy all at once
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 03:56 AM   #3874
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Jays already have enough guys to DH on the regular with Tellez, Vladdy and pretty much 4 every day outfielders. Plus, if Kirk stays in MLB he's another guy that they should try to get more ABs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #3875
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Jays signed Francisco Liriano, and will be a non roster invite to spring training. He's a reliever at this point.
Yes... he throws with his left hand and has a pulse so I wouldn't wager against him making the roster. He was effective enough the last time he played (opted out last year IIRC). I think that pretty much finishes off the bullpen since the only thing it needed was an additional lefty.

Still gotta get another quality arm for the rotation.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #3876
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rays signed Archer for 1 year at $6.5 million.

Watch him have a bounce back season now because...Rays.

There's also rumors out there that the Rays are in talks with Ozuna.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #3877
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take Archer for more money. Man he was good and at $6.5MM that's a damn good gamble.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:34 PM   #3878
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Bauer is getting close to a decision. His agent tweeted it's down to 2 teams.

Sounds like Mets/Dodgers, maybe the Angels swoop in?

Imagine a Mets rotation with Bauer and Thor healthy...

DeGrom
Bauer
Carrasco
Syndergaard
Peterson
Old 02-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #3879
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Sounds like Bauer is getting close to a decision. His agent tweeted it's down to 2 teams.

Sounds like Mets/Dodgers, maybe the Angels swoop in?

Imagine a Mets rotation with Bauer and Thor healthy...

DeGrom
Bauer
Carrasco
Syndergaard
Peterson
They have Stroman too who signed a 18 million dollar qualifying offer for this season. So unless Carrasco or Syndergaard aren’t healthy enough for a rotation spot, I can’t see them still being in on Bauer can they? If so that’s crazy money being spent by Cohen. Holy Moly.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:28 PM   #3880
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
They have Stroman too who signed a 18 million dollar qualifying offer for this season. So unless Carrasco or Syndergaard aren’t healthy enough for a rotation spot, I can’t see them still being in on Bauer can they? If so that’s crazy money being spent by Cohen. Holy Moly.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1357469503706267653

A lot of moolah alright.