Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #2921
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I mean the Rays will be annoying because they’re the Rays but other than Lowe no bat on that team scares me. They are also full of a bunch of good pitchers but Snell is not as good as he used to be. Certainly no rotation like Cleveland or an ace like Cole. So I don’t see the Rays overpowering the Jays which hopefully gives a chance for Toronto to hang in there.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:46 PM   #2922
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I believe they can do some damage. And I really like their chances against the Rays.
What do you see those chances as? 50:50? 60:40 Rays? I know they played them tough, more than most teams, I'm just curious what the relative chances are. Rays are a pretty strong team with few holes.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:53 PM   #2923
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the Rays are the favourites, and have deeper pitching,.

But if I were handicapping the series, I wouldn't put it at much more than 50/50. The Jays certainly have the starting pitching for a 3 game set. And their bullpen is as good as Tampa's. They are young and inexperienced, but now that they are mostly healthy again, their lineup is decently deep.

As I posted before, they were 3-4 in the 7 games in Tampa, outscored by a single run. And 2 of the 4 losses were in extra innings. And the Jays are a better team now than they were then.

I will be putting money down on the Jays to take the series.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #2924
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the 3 game format definitely helps the Jays more than it helps the Rays. We can better hide our lack of pitching depth.

Plus all the pressure on the higher seed to not slip and have the season end in a snap.

But, it’s in Tampa, and the Jays have been considerably better in Buffalo this year than theyve shown on the road.

I’m 50/50. Which I’ll definitely take
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #2925
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazingly, the Jays are #2 in the AL in runs scored. After that slow start they had, that's pretty amazing.

They are 10th in ERA, but I think that's largely because of one series against the Yankees. And the playoff pitching staff doesn't have the weak links that the regular season group had to deal with.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #2926
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marlins beat the yanks in extras tonight. Still hope to pass them
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #2927
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

In their first 13 games, the Jays scored 29 runs (2.23 runs per game)

Since then, they have been the top run-producing team in the AL, scoring 263 runs in 45 games (5.84 runs per game)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #2928
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now that the chance of finishing ahead of the Yankees has been increased (25% chance now by my math, need 3/4 total outcomes), I’m honestly not sure I rather face the 4 seed.

4 seed will either be Twins, White Sox, or Cleveland.

Tampa almost seems like the Devil we know versus the one we dont
Old 09-25-2020, 08:58 PM   #2929
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I dont want any part of Clevelands 3 starters. Bieber, Plesac and Carrasco is gnarly.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #2930
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and this is interesting.

White Sox are 13-0 this year against LH starters. Which somewhat neutralizes our Ryu advantage.

Tampa is just 9-8 against lefties
Old 09-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #2931
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add me in the "I don't mind playing the Rays"

They have a bit of lefties, and the Blue Jays have liked being the underdog this year.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #2932
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think we have the ability to beat anyone on any given night. Through our first two series against Tampa we were still finding ways to lose series. We were 7-11 on the year and had gone 0-4-2 in our 6 series (I am counting the 4 games against Washington as all 1 series as they were consecutive days and all played in Washington despite 2 being "home" games).

Since we got our first series win in Baltimore? 24-16 and have gone 7-2-3 in our 12 series played. The only two losses being that epically terrible stretch against the Yanks and Phils. Tampa in that time, has gone 23-11 and while they two have had injury troubles, they have had their regular off days to keep their bullpen rested.

Tampa also has yet to see Walker and Ray as members of the good guys.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:06 PM   #2933
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Ryu was a little sore after yesterday, and Walker’s abbreviated start tonight opens up the option of starting with Walker in game 1, and Ryu in game 2.

In a 3 game series, games 1 and 2 carry the same weight and you don’t need to worry about using that starter again until the next round. So, it’s sensible.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...nded-pitching/
Old 09-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #2934
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yanks down 3-0 early against the Marlins. If they lose and the Jays win tonight they will be tied but the Jays will hold the tie breaker. The Jays passing them is a very real possibility.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #2935
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Oh, and this is interesting.

White Sox are 13-0 this year against LH starters. Which somewhat neutralizes our Ryu advantage.

Tampa is just 9-8 against lefties
Yes, but along with Ryu, we will be starting 2 righties. And we only have 3 lefties on the entire staff.

Assume Ryu pitches 6 innings, Ray pitches 4 innings, and Borucki pitches 2 innings, that means there will be 15+ innings pitched by righties.

And Ryu is good against everyone, which means the Jays are way better against a team that has more right-handed bats.

In other words, you can make a case either way. But in a 3 game series, there is no time for stats anyway, it all comes down to execution.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:08 PM   #2936
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other issue is the fact that the Jays offense struggles the most against fastballs over 95 mph.

Who is loaded with fireballers? Tampa. Also, the Yankees' bullpen.

If we finish 5, the Yanks and rays play each other, and we don't see either until the ALCS.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:12 PM   #2937
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter at all - every team is good and you have to beat their best pitchers.

I really feel like the Jays are going to make some noise.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:33 PM   #2938
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If our streaky hitters all go on at the same time our lineup is super scary. But that’s very dependent on Grichuk, Vlad and Gurriel mashing. Bo and Teoscar to a lesser extent as they usually manage to do something even if cold.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #2939
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Yanks down 3-0 early against the Marlins. If they lose and the Jays win tonight they will be tied but the Jays will hold the tie breaker. The Jays passing them is a very real possibility.
So much for that. Yankees exploded.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #2940
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starting Zeuch instead of Shoe today.

Montoyo says all is well, nobody is injured and they are just keeping their options open for the playoffs.

Ryu, Walker and Shoemaker all will be available to start game 1 if they choose.