Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2024, 09:22 AM   #5521
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

S3 interior is miles above the Golf R imo. You do need the fully tarted up top trim, though. I really like those, but no cooled seats? I'd lean Golf R for that reason alone, but you take a kick to the nuts on interior quality and ergonomics with the all-capacitive touch/no hard button situation. If hatch and cooled seats aren't must haves, then S3 all the way.

Lexus does nothing for me. They feel like you're walking into a dealership and vehicle 10-15 years out of date. I'd happily pay $10k more to get into an R or S3 over that.

Have you thought of a Stinger or G70. I went straight from Audi to Genesis when I was looking at different vehicles last year and was like, fk...guess the Audi is off the table.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 10:10 AM   #5522
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

How different is the G70 from the G80? The G70 seems more like what I would be interested in, but I always hear now nice the G80 is.

No BMWs in that mix?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #5523
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Need a new car budget is $55,000
Looking at…
-Golf R 2024 New
-Audi A4 2024 Lightly used 14k
-Audi S3 2023 Lightly used 5k
-Lexus IS300 2021 Lightly used 24k and $10,000 cheaper
Or..?

Any insight/ experience on these cars?
Also has the VW fixed its infotainment gremlins?
If practicality matters, I'd go Golf R all day.

For driving enjoyment, I'd go older and get an S4 or an RS3 if that was somehow possible instead of any of those Audis on your list.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #5524
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
If practicality matters, I'd go Golf R all day.

For driving enjoyment, I'd go older and get an S4 or an RS3 if that was somehow possible instead of any of those Audis on your list.

S4 and RS3 are great options it’s just that if i go that route then the cars would be of higher kilometres and out of warranty.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:21 AM   #5525
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a long term owner of a B8 S4 6MT and love the AWD system. Never used my warranty, but I think the manual is simpler than the DSG auto. highly recommended to go this way. the RS3 will be an exciting, nice go-kart though
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 11:30 AM   #5526
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
How different is the G70 from the G80? The G70 seems more like what I would be interested in, but I always hear now nice the G80 is.

No BMWs in that mix?
I don't fit in the two BMWs that interested me, unfortunately. The M2 is tiny and the three series' B pillar protrudes into the car super far right where my shoulders are (I sit beside the b pillar in cars). This causes me to have to lean toward the center of the car. Since I'm not a gymnast it's off the table for me.

I like the G70, but I think I like the Stinger more. Stinger has a hatch and two analog gauges with a digital screen between them. The G70, on the other hand, has 1/3 analog and 2/3 digital. I had a hard time liking that for some reason. G70 has options for days, super cool paint color options great warranty and is just generally pretty awesome. Love the exterior styling as well. I bet a used one would be a pretty great deal.

G80 is great, but then you are into a bigger car. More luxurious, more refined, nicer finishing, better tech...just overall awesome, but it's not a small car.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #5527
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't had chance to watch this yet, but #### me the thumbnail profile isn't looking good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 01:55 PM   #5528
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That thumbnail really has those wheel wells looking like giant chasms with those black fenders.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 02:29 PM   #5529
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I saw a younger looking guy in a murdered out Rolls Royce Spectre on Macleod today. At first I thought it might be a modded Chrysler 300. That's a lot of money to look that bad.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:56 PM   #5530
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I saw a younger looking guy in a murdered out Rolls Royce Spectre on Macleod today. At first I thought it might be a modded Chrysler 300. That's a lot of money to look that bad.
I think the Spectres look fantastic, but murdered out is a bad look on any car, especially a Rolls... Chrysler 300 indeed.

Edit - I think I found pics of it... Not how I'd spec it and yes, 'murdered'

Last edited by you&me; 04-12-2024 at 03:03 PM.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:08 PM   #5531
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I think the Spectres look fantastic, but murdered out is a bad look on any car, especially a Rolls... Chrysler 300 indeed.

Edit - I think I found pics of it... Not how I'd spec it and yes, 'murdered'
I think they normally look great too. Oh well. Probably an Oilers fan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 05:38 PM   #5532
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm too poor and will always be too poor to fully understand the desire for driving a rolls Royce. Let alone murdering one out.

I like Rolls Royce, all of them, they're a statement to proper coach builds. But I could never justify owning one to drive it. Don't have a need for a free umbrella or the attention it would draw.

I get it, they're the tippy top of rolling status symbols, but I'll take a Good GT or GT-R over one any day. And if I wanted to do a little Weiner swinging , I'd rather get a Bentley. At least it's a driver's car.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:59 PM   #5533
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm too poor and will always be too poor to fully understand the desire for driving a rolls Royce. Let alone murdering one out.

I like Rolls Royce, all of them, they're a statement to proper coach builds. But I could never justify owning one to drive it. Don't have a need for a free umbrella or the attention it would draw.

I get it, they're the tippy top of rolling status symbols, but I'll take a Good GT or GT-R over one any day. And if I wanted to do a little Weiner swinging , I'd rather get a Bentley. At least it's a driver's car.
The Spectre is a coupe so it's not the typical Rolls catering to the guy in the back seat. I would hope it's more driver focused but I haven't look into it.

If I had that kind of money I don't think I'd buy one either. It's very unlikely I'll ever find out for sure. I'd be more than happy with Sliver's G80. Even that is only a dream for now.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:12 AM   #5534
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought the dream was to be Driven in a Rolls...not driving one yourself...

And dont forget the Grey Poupon...
Old 04-16-2024, 01:41 PM   #5535
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking for recommendations for car audio in NW Calgary. Have a 2014 GMC Acadia. The infotainment system has crapped out (which appears to be an issue with the unit based on an online search). Keeping the vehicle until it dies (just had head gasket replaced a year ago so engine was inspected, repaired and given the thumbs up) so I'm looking at replacing the unit. Don't want anything fancy. Just a unit that will be compatible with the back up camera and have Air Play capabilities.
Any suggestions for companies that could take care of this for me. There is no way I could do it myself so looking for a place that has sales and service.
Thanks in advance.
Dentoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 09:54 PM   #5536
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Beater update: 32 months, third winter with my <1000 beater truck. Daily all winters, weekend errands in the summer. All work done myself:
4x Converter Flush (T/C issue) ~$100
Exhaust crossover tube ~$10 and a lot of time
Ball Joints/U Joints ~$300
Callipers/Pads ~400
Radiator~300
Accessory drive pulleys and related ~80
Battery 200
Plus a ton of fixes either free or cheap but at the expense of time (rebuild 4x4 hubs, rehang/welding exhaust, wiring harness repairs, wiper motor, switches, turn single stalk etc etc etc.

Honestly, if you’re mechanically inclined and don’t absolutely need your vehicle to work at all times, sure I suppose a beater is sort of cost effective.

But I can’t even begin to calculate what it would cost someone to maintain and older vehicle to any reasonable degree. You’d have far more into this truck than it’s worth, and you’d be out of a vehicle every time.

But, this trucks been awesome man.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:18 PM   #5537
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Looking for recommendations for car audio in NW Calgary. Have a 2014 GMC Acadia. The infotainment system has crapped out (which appears to be an issue with the unit based on an online search). Keeping the vehicle until it dies (just had head gasket replaced a year ago so engine was inspected, repaired and given the thumbs up) so I'm looking at replacing the unit. Don't want anything fancy. Just a unit that will be compatible with the back up camera and have Air Play capabilities.
Any suggestions for companies that could take care of this for me. There is no way I could do it myself so looking for a place that has sales and service.
Thanks in advance.
Define fancy?

For $100-350, you can get dash top smart screen that have wireless Airplay, built in speaker and aftermarket back up camera. No need for an installer.

https://a.co/d/d0bsLtu

If you need integrated, that might be different.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 08:08 AM   #5538
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Define fancy?

For $100-350, you can get dash top smart screen that have wireless Airplay, built in speaker and aftermarket back up camera. No need for an installer.

https://a.co/d/d0bsLtu

If you need integrated, that might be different.
I would prefer integrated but I will look into this as an option
Dentoman is online now   Reply With Quote