Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #41
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
We've recently contacted a local guy, Dean Halstead, who makes custom mattresses and he is The Mattress Underground personified. So we'll be consulting with him to see if there is a fit and if so, we'll work with him to create our new mattress.
Ended up going with Dean. He came over last week with a body mapping device that he used to see how we sleep and measuring pressure points on our bodies when lying on a mattress surface. It was a pretty crazy process, but the methodology made sense.

The experience with him thus far has been stellar.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #42
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have been on a Douglas bed for about 4 months now. I hated it for the first week or 2 and told the wife I was going to send it back, but now I love it. Its almost like my body had to adjust and get used to it. Now, I couldnt recommend the Douglas bed more.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #43
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

A good sleep is so important for your overall health and efficiency, that I believe anything you do to improve it will pay big dividends. Many people will spend upwards of $30 to $40,000. dollars on a car they spend less than an hour a day, and cheap out on a mattress they spend 8 hours a day on.

Back in the 70s I found that the best mattress was a pocket coil type made by Simmons. You can pay a little extra and get a quilted top. Sears used to have them on every so often for 50% off and I made sure my whole family had one. I don't know who has them these days, but they used to cost about $2.000. for a king size (including box springs).

If you can afford it, a down filled comforter (+/- $1500.) and pillow (+/- $300.) are also nice additions.

Last edited by flamesfever; 08-12-2020 at 11:11 AM.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:16 PM   #44
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Ended up going with Dean. He came over last week with a body mapping device that he used to see how we sleep and measuring pressure points on our bodies when lying on a mattress surface. It was a pretty crazy process, but the methodology made sense.

The experience with him thus far has been stellar.
Got the mattress. It's an ugly mofo, but he warned us it wouldn't look pretty. He said it might take a few weeks to get accustomed to it, but so far it's been pretty damn comfortable sleeping in it. Was it worth $4k? Maybe. I'm sure half that will still buy a frickin' comfortable mattress, but we also elected to pay a premium for natural materials, Canadian sourced materials and Canadian craftsmanship. Basically if I wanted to, if I were so inclined, I could compose the whole thing aside from the springs.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 10:22 PM   #45
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still loving our Silk & Snow mattress.

You could spend years reading reviews between "internet" mattresses (aka foam based), but honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them compared to traditional innerspring mattresses. There is a reason even the worst foam mattress has better satisfaction ratings than the best innerspring mattress.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:27 PM   #46
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Do you have the hybrid or foam?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:14 PM   #47
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just got a Puffy King Size mattress from the web. So far its a lot better than my old bed, my tossing/turning used to bug my partner but now she doesn't feel me move. I was worried about the 'memory foam style' mattress but so far its great... my sleep statistics through my watch show I'm sleeping 0.5 hours more a night.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #48
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We are needing to replace our mattress. Looking at maybe a foam one this time but I have heard that the edges collapse easily, is that the case or not? Anyone have direct experience? I dont think I have fallen out of bed since I was a young kid but dont feel like starting that again now.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #49
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not an issue sleeping. If you sit on the side of the bed it squishes more, but not a big issue there, either. Slide back a bit.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #50
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's the recommendation for a king size with different firmnesses on each half?
I swear there was a mattress-in-a-box company that did this but I can't find it...

Last edited by jwslam; 10-26-2020 at 08:09 AM.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:14 AM   #51
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
What's the recommendation for a king size with different firmnesses on each half?
I swear there was a mattress-in-a-box company that did this but I can't find it...
If you have some $$$ to spend, Black Sheep Mattress here in Calgary does kings with separate firmness.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #52
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
6000 on a bed? Nice.

Can I borrow have some money?
I find it funny that some people think like this. You would not question if he spent 6000 or more in household renovations or much more on a car but that is a lot of money for something you will spend a quarter of your life on that directly impacts your quality of sleep which in turn impacts your health and productivity? One of my golden rules has always been never skimp on a mattress.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:21 AM   #53
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

We had our king bed custom-made here in town by Halstead Sofa and Mattresses. We love it, we were able to customize the base for each of us and choose the mattress type itself.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:36 PM   #54
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Novosbed does this (sort of) by providing toppers to either make the mattress firmer or softer on each half.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote