Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2024, 06:55 PM   #3201
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
If your rad is top mounted, it is like you said the pump could be dead unless you are like my roommate and re-pasted his pump because temps were getting hot and neglected to see the caked on dust all over his rad -he is a engineer BTW-

If your rad is side mounted, make sure the hoses connect to the bottom otherwise there could be a air bubble blocking your pump. The bubble will get larger over time as some of the fluid will escape through evaporation and when the bubble reaches the pump you will get thermal throttling.
Another reason I'll never go for liquid cooling of any kind in a PC build, more points of failure
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 07:31 AM   #3202
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Another reason I'll never go for liquid cooling of any kind in a PC build, more points of failure
AIO are foolproof liquid cooling with only 1 extra POF for an amazing amount of cooling. I wouldn't go full on liquid as I couldn't be bothered but i've never had an issue with mine in the years I have used it and before that I've replaced enough loud or dying CPU fans.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 08:17 AM   #3203
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I know the answer to this but want to vet it by some of the folks here....
  • Last night I playing FF7 Remake
  • Noticed a bunch of slowdowns and audio hiccups - just assumed it was the nature of the port and thought nothing of it
  • During a cut scene my computer just shut off
  • I thought it might be a power outage because of the wind but other devices were working fine
  • Turned the computer back on and wait for the boot up
  • Got into Windows and things were very choppy and slow to load
  • PC shutdown again for no reason
  • Turned it back on and loaded up HWMonitor and Task Manager
  • Task Manager showed the CPU (5800X3D) was running at 1.0 - 1.2 GHz and HWMonitor said that the temperatures were hovering at 90 degrees and this was just idle
  • Tried to load Steam and open a browser and temperatures stayed around 90 degrees but CPU speed dropped down to 0.86 GHz
  • Ran the AIO Cooler (Arctic Freezer II 360) fan at 100% but it didn't drop the temperatures at all
  • After about 10 minutes the CPU temperature jumped up to 3.2 GHz and the temperature (core) went to 100 degrees
  • Opened the case and felt the AIO hoses and one was hot and the other was cold (which I assume is correct)
So based on that, I'm guessing the AIO pump or something related has failed? I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure I should be at around 45-50 degrees at moderate load with an AIO and not at 90-100 degrees. Safe to say it's time to RMA or buy a new one?
Did you open up the bios and or hardware moniter and look at the pump speed?
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 10:28 AM   #3204
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
AIO are foolproof liquid cooling with only 1 extra POF for an amazing amount of cooling. I wouldn't go full on liquid as I couldn't be bothered but i've never had an issue with mine in the years I have used it and before that I've replaced enough loud or dying CPU fans.
What? Did you not read Meelapo's post at all?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 11:01 AM   #3205
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What? Did you not read Meelapo's post at all?
Yeah it sounds like a pump, I mean foolproof as in not leaking water everywhere, needing cleaning, etc. If your fan died you would be in the same situation, sure its cheaper and easier to replace a fan but it also runs louder and hotter. Air cooling works fine for most but if you have an unlocked processor and want to squeeze a little more power AIO is the easy way.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote