Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #61
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

And it looks BRUTAL!

You know the selection is going to suck when they don't even have a "new releases" section.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM   #62
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is zip.ca better than canflix?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #63
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I signed up for an account - free month.

What c.t.ner said is unfortunately quite true - the selection is a little lacking. Even some older titles that I searched for were not available. There are still thousands of movies on there, but I searched for a few things with limited success.

When signing up, it says that you can stream to Wii, PS3, iPhone, and your computer, and Xbox is coming "later this fall". I'm not at home right now, so I can't tell you whether the Netflix is actually on the PS3 video menu. I'll probably try the iPhone app at lunch. Streaming on PC seems good though.

Another slight annoyance is that it doesn't appear that you can save a list of things that you'd like to watch. I'd like to be able to browse the movies and make a list so that I can remember what I want to see.

So... slightly disappointed at the selection but optimistic that they'll get their stuff sorted out soon.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #64
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow...their selection is terrible!

Every new movie release (within the last month) I searched for, wasn't available.

PS3 Video Store >>> Netflix.ca

And I thought the PS3 Video store wasn't very good.....

Does anyone know how Apple TV compares? Does it have the best online rental library available to Canada?
________
CHILD WELLBUTRIN

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 AM   #65
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those with iPhones:

Google - 'netflix app' and then click on the first link. That will download the application for you to stream to your iPhones.

For some reason the app isn't available in the CDN iTunes store yet.

Crappy selection, but it will get better, and streaming to your phone on your commute in the morning is nice!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 AM   #66
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Until support for the 360 is available I won't even consider Netflix. Hopefully by then the library will have improved.

Still, there's something about the novelty of zip.ca that streaming Canflix (Props, boblobla) can't do anything about.

I'm skeptical. I'm afraid that I just cannot see enough incentive to switch. Yet.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #67
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
For those with iPhones:

Google - 'netflix app' and then click on the first link. That will download the application for you to stream to your iPhones.

For some reason the app isn't available in the CDN iTunes store yet.

Crappy selection, but it will get better, and streaming to your phone on your commute in the morning is nice!
I was able to find the Netflix app in the Canadian store, both via iTunes and on my phone. Maybe it just got updated?
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #68
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Until support for the 360 is available I won't even consider Netflix. Hopefully by then the library will have improved.

Still, there's something about the novelty of zip.ca that streaming Canflix (Props, boblobla) can't do anything about.

I'm skeptical. I'm afraid that I just cannot see enough incentive to switch. Yet.
I had Canflix for about 6 months and found the selection to be okay but the delay on new releases was unreal.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #69
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canflix is a real service? My apologies, I thought that was the nickname you were giving to Canadian Netflix.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #70
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
So... slightly disappointed at the selection but optimistic that they'll get their stuff sorted out soon.
We use the wii streaming on our tv and it's amazing. But yeah, when we were going through some basic titles, the Canadian version didn't have anything. Including some of the neat little b-rated knock offs like Transmorfers 2 and Paranormal Enitiy... It's a shame.

It feels like it took so long to make it's way to Canada and then they deliver a dud of a project. Down here we find that streaming movies is a bit of a let down, it's great for TV but it takes ages for new movies to be available in the streaming section.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #71
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this will change when the new copyright law reforms are passed and Canada is no longer the pirate haven it currently is. It's because of this lawlessness north of the 49th that Canada lags so far behind the USA. I imagine once this is solved, the government will move on to solve the problems currently plaguing the mobile telecommunications industry.

Right?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 AM   #72
Art Vandelay
First Line Centre

Exp:

Signed up for the free month. Obviously not having the latest movies is a bit of a downer. I guess it is only $8 a month and there are a lot of movies that I haven't seen before. I guess I'll see how much i use it before i decide to continue or not.

It is nice though to hit play on my iPad and it starts the movie within 20 seconds.
Art Vandelay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #73
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Loving Netflix so far. Not having the new releases doesn't bother me all that much; if it's new and I have to see it immediately I probably want to watch it on blu-ray anyway.

Great stuff for $8/mo.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #74
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
All this will change when the new copyright law reforms are passed and Canada is no longer the pirate haven it currently is. It's because of this lawlessness north of the 49th that Canada lags so far behind the USA. I imagine once this is solved, the government will move on to solve the problems currently plaguing the mobile telecommunications industry.

Right?

That reminds me, got to get on my MP, and MP Tony Clement's doorsteps and tell them Bill C-32 needs to be changed.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #75
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to find the silver lining, and so far the BBC selection seems positive. If you're of limey blood like me, or at least like British TV, this might help ease the disappointment. Lots of good wildlife documentaries (I could listen to David Attenborough all day), Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Little Britain, MI5. My Mum will be pretty stoked for Ballykissangel - terrible show.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #76
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Hey c.t.ner ... What's the situation for new movies in the states? How long do you generally have to wait?

I think for $8/month this is a great deal. Within 3 minutes I could see about 10 movies I'd like to watch. I understand some are disappointed but this is a massive step forward. Even look at what iTunes was last year and you can see Canada has come a very far distance. It will take some patience, but netflix will get much better.

To me the biggest disappointment is the lack of a queue. That's a pretty important step.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #77
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
To me the biggest disappointment is the lack of a queue. That's a pretty important step.
For the time being I am using a bookmarks folder in Firefox and I'm just dragging each movie/show page into that folder. I'm notorious for browsing, thinking that I'd like to watch something, and then forgetting.

It won't help me any on the PS3 or the iPhone, but it seems like the easiest way to save a list until the queue is introduced. I'm assuming that they will - I agree that it is pretty important.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #78
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im actually fairly impressed with the tv series selection...
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM   #79
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonebutedmonton View Post
Im actually fairly impressed with the tv series selection...
I have Mad Men season 1 & 2 shrinkwrapped on my shelf for watching as soon as I'm finished Lost, but seeing that they're available on Netflix, I might just try and rid myself of them.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #80
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Hey c.t.ner ... What's the situation for new movies in the states? How long do you generally have to wait?

I think for $8/month this is a great deal. Within 3 minutes I could see about 10 movies I'd like to watch. I understand some are disappointed but this is a massive step forward. Even look at what iTunes was last year and you can see Canada has come a very far distance. It will take some patience, but netflix will get much better.

Wo. Wo.. You don't have an instant queue in the Canadian version? That's pretty weak.

In regards to movies being added to the view straight away, they take a few months - up to a year - after they've been released. I may have mentioned this earlier, but we just got Iron Man and GIJoe added to our instant queue. For the longest time the Proposal was the only big movie on the "Instant option". For TV shows it's even shorter. We've been able to watch all the seasons of Bones, Veronica Mars, 24, The Wire, etc.

For 8 dollars a month down here, we get all of the streaming - including Wii, PS3 and Xbox streaming. But we also get a DVD sent in the mail. Which usually comes to us every 48 hours.

Anyways, I don't know how long it will take Netflix Canada to catch-up. I hope it is sooner rather than later, because right now I have a bad taste in my mouth from the Netflix launch.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote