Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #21
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

I read this. Immediately thought of 2003/04 when Darryl made the team stay at a hotel even for home games .

This kept that very close team together and the result was pretty fantastic. Yeah way different circumstances now but thats where it took me.

Go flames bubble Go!!!!
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:51 AM   #22
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Also...12 teams per city = 6 teams/3 games a day. 1 round robin game and 2 play in games.
Yeah forgot all about the round robin games. Scheduling could get very interesting! I can't imagine they're planning to use other facilities such as Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall.
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #23
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Yeah forgot all about the round robin games. Scheduling could get very interesting! I can't imagine they're planning to use other facilities such as Northlands/Skyreach/Rexall.
No way they would use 2 facilities...that just doubles the amount of testing on anyone associated with the actual games. Arena personnel, off ice guys, etc should all be limited to 1 group which limits outside forces derailing the whole thing by introducing the virus inside the bubble.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #24
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the hotel staff also in the bubble ?
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #25
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

They do have the Downtown Community rink that is essentially an extension of Roger's arena. So maybe they look to have the late play in game there on the days that will have the round Robin games.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #26
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Are the hotel staff also in the bubble ?
Yes....read the whole thing it's pretty impressive. All bases covered
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

At roughly 1000 tests/day per location that puts a pretty big strain on lab facilities. I'm assuming it would be the same lab that does all the other tests in Alberta which had been doing 5000-7000 tests per day IIRC. So we are potentially adding 20% to that total which is the same as asking public testing to be reduced by 20% if the labs are running at max capacity. Wonder if the league is arranging for it's own testing and testing facility? Otherwise this does put a strain on public testing.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:21 AM   #28
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
At roughly 1000 tests/day per location that puts a pretty big strain on lab facilities. I'm assuming it would be the same lab that does all the other tests in Alberta which had been doing 5000-7000 tests per day IIRC. So we are potentially adding 20% to that total which is the same as asking public testing to be reduced by 20% if the labs are running at max capacity. Wonder if the league is arranging for it's own testing and testing facility? Otherwise this does put a strain on public testing.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw (Alberta's MOH) has indicated clearly that whatever the NHL is doing would not remove capacity from the health system, or cost the Province anything.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #29
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Dr. Deena Hinshaw (Alberta's MOH) has indicated clearly that whatever the NHL is doing would not remove capacity from the health system, or cost the Province anything.
Maybe an Independent Private testing company will be able to answer Nicholson's question of what is in the water in Edmonton that causes the players they sign to become no good.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:48 AM   #30
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
> Bubble life: Players will be living in single occupancy rooms, no roommates, with each team assigned designated floors. Players are not permitted to enter each other’s rooms. Housekeeping will be provided every third day. Hotel bars and restaurants will be open and available in the bubble, provided social distancing is followed.

Players will have access to hotel pool and fitness centre. Each club will be provided with a designated meeting space in the hotel. Each person will also have access to contactless room service delivery, as well as delivery from local restaurants available for pick-up.

The NHL is also planning for league-approved “excursions” both inside and outside of the bubble. Think designated tee times at a local golf club, etc. All transportation will be provided to/from the excursion and social distancing, face coverings and personal hygiene measures will be mandatory.

I'm curious how this will work. It's not like teams just show up at the rink beer league style and then leave after the game is done. Don't players normally ride the bike after games? And will there be facilities for the scratches and other players to lift/work out as well? No way a bunch of NHL hockey players are cramming into the hotel fitness centre, let alone multiple teams within the same hotel.

Also, with the NHL able to move games at any time, I could easily see Calgary being a plan B option -- at least for games.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:57 AM   #31
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

That definitely sounds like it would be a hard couple months to be part of that can't blame people for opting out
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No way they would use 2 facilities...that just doubles the amount of testing on anyone associated with the actual games. Arena personnel, off ice guys, etc should all be limited to 1 group which limits outside forces derailing the whole thing by introducing the virus inside the bubble.
Even if they play every game in one arena, they'll still need multiple crews because you can't expect the same crew to be putting in potentially 12+ hour shifts every day.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #33
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by tvp2003; 07-06-2020 at 10:20 AM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully we don't wind up with AHL rosters competing for the Stanley Cup
Old 07-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #35
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Even if they play every game in one arena, they'll still need multiple crews because you can't expect the same crew to be putting in potentially 12+ hour shifts every day.
Tell that to rig workers
Old 07-06-2020, 12:17 PM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Didnt hear that..thanks.

So game times will have to be allotted something like 12, 4, 8?
Continuous OT will have something to say about that. At least after the play in round.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:26 PM   #37
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rishaug reported they are using six rinks. Presumably a couple for games and the others for pratices.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278370434715512832

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would be fun to watch NHL games from the little community arena.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #39
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder how they'll manage arena advertising. Only way to keep sponsors local to each team happy, is to use electronic billboards. They could only change the physical sticker billboards overnight - which the bubble would complicate if done by outsider
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #40
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Rishaug reported they are using six rinks. Presumably a couple for games and the others for pratices.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1278370434715512832
So that means that rec centre is off limits to the public.

That place isn’t that close to downtown either, it’d be the equivalent of going from the Saddledome to Winsport.

A lot of logistics for sure in all of this, with the time needed for cleaning every facility and dressing room, with each team wanting practices daily, and moving stuff in and out of those facilities, the hotel etc.

I wonder if they’d even do a game day skate at the rink they are playing in, instead, having game day skates at one of the other rinks, to prevent that continual cleaning at the main arena. But 60 minutes of driving time round trip to and from the rec centre rinks doesn’t sound like an ideal game day routine either.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote