Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #21
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Or for that crowd, Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Giordano and Andersson
Well at least they still haven't found out about Lindholm.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #22
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a really strong feeling that Johnny won't play. I really hope I'm wrong about it. I wonder if there are any upcoming UFA's who opt out of playing for their current team. Say Hall didn't wan to play for the coyotes and goes straight to becoming a UFA, it wouldn't hurt his value but what about lesser UFA's. Say a guy like Galchenyuk doesn't come play, will that hurt his chance of a contract in November?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #23
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Won't lie, I'm a little concerned about the guys who aren't in Calgary yet.
Is there a list of missing players? Where are they and what are they doing?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #24
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

No official list, no.

Just players who haven't been mentioned as being around yet, though this is a volunteer phase.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #25
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny (father's health) and Brodie (Wife's health) are two in particular I could see opting out.

No one should be judged for opting out.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nah. It's bad enough with the Oilers having McDavid and the Leafs being the Leafs. Another league star in Montreal and the Flames may as well be showing up on milk cartons at Rogers and TSN studios. I don't want to see any Canadian team outside of the Flames get him.
We'd actually need to start a calgary centric sports network to even have a hope. Maybe Shaw could get on it?
Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #27
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
We'd actually need to start a calgary centric sports network to even have a hope. Maybe Shaw could get on it?
Shaw can't get the services they have now sorted out. Nevermind start a new network.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:08 AM   #28
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny (father's health) and Brodie (Wife's health) are two in particular I could see opting out.

Players are people too. They're under a lot of pressure to return. Let's make sure we show respect and class if/when players opt out.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #29
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder if Gaudreau could...not sure what the condition of Gaudreau's dad is after his health scare a couple years ago, and if his dad would be at higher risk to COVID.

Quote:

What Monahammer said.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #30
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

In Gaudreau's case I would think if he planned on opting out he wouldn't be here at all.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #31
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I get this but I don't. What really does your fathers health have to do with you living and playing in a bubble as a professional athlete? You will be getting tested daily, if you test positive self isolate, don't go visiting with your dad, pretty simple, same with your wife. In fact being tested everyday is the safest, most effective way to keep others safe!!! If you are living in the bubble, you are not going to transmit to a family member and once you're out of the bubble, self isolate, get tested and take appropriate action if necessary.

Those who opt out for health reasons better live in self isolation until a vaccine is administered.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 07-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #32
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

As others have said, I suspect a very low number of players league wide opt out. Less than 10 IMO. The Flames would be extremely unlucky to have more than 1 and I predict zero.

You're not endangering your family by playing, you are agreeing to be separated from them for an extended period. Should an emergency arise, you can leave. You're not on the space station.

I'm certainly not going to pass judgment on anyone 's decision.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau's dad would tell Johnny to go and play, and that "I'll see you in a couple months" and would hope it would take a couple months because that would mean a long playoff run for his boy.

Brodie will probably be there too, but his case is different as it's actually his wife with the health conditions and not many people would or should be ok with not seeing there spouse for that long.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #34
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If the bubbles were in America, I'd guess there would be many. But in Edmonton... few, if any.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #35
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
As others have said, I suspect a very low number of players league wide opt out. Less than 10 IMO. The Flames would be extremely unlucky to have more than 1 and I predict zero.

You're not endangering your family by playing, you are agreeing to be separated from them for an extended period. Should an emergency arise, you can leave. You're not on the space station.

I'm certainly not going to pass judgment on anyone 's decision.
Agreed. Safe to say that these guys are going to be tested more in the the first week or so then they have the past 4.5 months and my guess is they haven’t been holed up at home those 4.5 months either away from everyone.

Before they go back to family, I am sure they’ll be tested again, multiple times, and then practice the same self isolation they would’ve anyways, before seeing family members.

But yes, if there’s any trepidation on playing, for whatever reason, best not to. Besides of course medical issues or whatever physical health concerns a player may have externally for him or family, frankly, if you are not 100% in your mind committed to playing, your play will reflect that and thus doing yourself and your teammates a disservice.

Last edited by browna; 07-06-2020 at 01:08 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #36
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I get this but I don't. What really does your fathers health have to do with you living and playing in a bubble as a professional athlete? You will be getting tested daily, if you test positive self isolate, don't go visiting with your dad, pretty simple, same with your wife. In fact being tested everyday is the safest, most effective way to keep others safe!!! If you are living in the bubble, you are not going to transmit to a family member and once you're out of the bubble, self isolate, get tested and take appropriate action if necessary.

Those who opt out for health reasons better live in self isolation until a vaccine is administered.
I agree- my thought is actually that these players may not wish to be separated from family members who could be in more jeopardy during this time in case those family members were to contract the virus or something while the player was away.

i.e. if Mrs. Brodie has to operate more in the community (and potentially increase her risk) because TJ can't be there to support her, that may weigh upon his decision.

There could be other players in this scenario, or they could just have fear for their playing futures, etc... The point i was trying to make is that there could be extremely relatable reasons for some players to opt out, but even if no reason is given we should refrain from judgement or commentary about those decisions.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #37
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bet there is some serious peer pressure from teammates and that as a result, we won’t see many back out.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #38
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It'll likely only be players with circumstances where there is an ongoing health issue within the family that requires their presence like a terminally ill loved one.

Let's face it, they'll all be sacrificing girlfriend/wife time.

Covid safety concerns in Edmonton is an excuse that won't fly. You're safe there than wherever you're flying in from.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #39
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Goalies.

Because goalies are weird.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #40
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Goalies.

Because goalies are weird.
If only Tim Thomas were still around. He'd have been out there two months ago protesting that the barber was closed
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote