Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #1681
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Please tell me they'll feed the GPS data into Google Maps.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #1682
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Or, at the very minimum, have a custom built app that uses the GPS data as is comparable in functionality to Google Maps
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #1683
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No, at least not with current policies/operations. Calgary Transit supplies schedule information to Google Maps on a quarterly basis to coincide with seasonal schedule changes. I get the impression there's some static in this exchange too as not all of it ends up being accurate or sometimes there is a delay in getting it to Google/them handling it in time for the actual schedule changes.

Don't get your hopes up, but a re-examining of the Trip Planner (a proprietary software that uses Bing for its mapping interface, and which would be integrated with the real-time information once it comes online) might be in the works. The Calgary Transit Customer Advisory Group has been quite vocal about this issue since its inception and finally some attention to the matter has been peaked as a result of the group's presentation to Calgary Transit Senior Management Team a couple months ago. We'll see what comes of it.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #1684
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Or, at the very minimum, have a custom built app that uses the GPS data as is comparable in functionality to Google Maps
Nope, it would be silly to re-invent the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
No, at least not with current policies/operations. Calgary Transit supplies schedule information to Google Maps on a quarterly basis to coincide with seasonal schedule changes. I get the impression there's some static in this exchange too as not all of it ends up being accurate or sometimes there is a delay in getting it to Google/them handling it in time for the actual schedule changes.

Don't get your hopes up, but a re-examining of the Trip Planner (a proprietary software that uses Bing for its mapping interface, and which would be integrated with the real-time information once it comes online) might be in the works. The Calgary Transit Customer Advisory Group has been quite vocal about this issue since its inception and finally some attention to the matter has been peaked as a result of the group's presentation to Calgary Transit Senior Management Team a couple months ago. We'll see what comes of it.
There's definitely an issue with the data hand-off to Google Maps, but Google does handle real-time data in other markets. There's no reason that Calgary shouldn't get the same. Better to fix the bugs with Google than to go back to Trip Planner... that thing was awful. The path-finding algorithms sucked, the interface was garbage, it didn't have Google's mobile support, etc. I think there's about a 90% chance that if we don't use Google it will turn out like Apple Maps or Connect.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #1685
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Tuscany station looks really far along considering it's not due to open for another 14+ months. I don't think any work has started on the park and ride lots or anything though. Still, I hope it opens sooner than planned.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #1686
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

How well would the GPS work in the 8 ave subway?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #1687
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
The Tuscany station looks really far along considering it's not due to open for another 14+ months. I don't think any work has started on the park and ride lots or anything though. Still, I hope it opens sooner than planned.
Saddletowne Station was complete at least 14 months before it opened. I think they like to have things done really early.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #1688
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
There shouldn't be a need to run locations of trains off of a GPS based system when it is running on a fixed track with no public access and underground sections. The same result (tracking) can be achieved through a series of sensors along the track way to detect the cars with a central processing system to track the location and speed of each train.

In other words, GPS doesn't work too great underground....yet.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #1689
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
I remember that Crowfoot looked complete months in advance, but as I understand it, there is a fairly long testing period to add-in as well. But would I welcome an early opening date? Absolutely.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #1690
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
About as well as the current system works on 7th....

Quote:
Nope, it would be silly to re-invent the wheel.

There's definitely an issue with the data hand-off to Google Maps, but Google does handle real-time data in other markets. There's no reason that Calgary shouldn't get the same. Better to fix the bugs with Google than to go back to Trip Planner... that thing was awful. The path-finding algorithms sucked, the interface was garbage, it didn't have Google's mobile support, etc. I think there's about a 90% chance that if we don't use Google it will turn out like Apple Maps or Connect.
Don't expect much from the people who
1) Remade their website, and somehow made it even worse to use for mobile users.
2) Can't create a map using common tools that displays correctly in any browser.
3) Can't keep track of which train is arriving at which station with their new "real time" tracking system.
4)Still can't get teleride to distinguish between arrival and departure times for bus stops.
5)Reserved parking system runs on a wing and a prayer
6)Email alerts for major disruptions not being delivered for 1-3 hours after the disruption occurs.
7) Connect
8)The CTrain real time signs still not being timed correctly to deliver the messages they try to send.

8 is sufficient for you to understand the problem. The tech group at Transit is probably one of the worst in the city. Everything is late and everything sucks.
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NuclearPizzaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #1691
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccalus View Post
There shouldn't be a need to run locations of trains off of a GPS based system when it is running on a fixed track with no public access and underground sections. The same result (tracking) can be achieved through a series of sensors along the track way to detect the cars with a central processing system to track the location and speed of each train.

In other words, GPS doesn't work too great underground....yet.
Yeah, I should have elaborated, but this is one of the reasons why I said that the article I linked above was poorly written/researched. The writer (and perhaps the people feeding her the information) seem to use "GPS" as a catch-all term for real-time information data collection systems. Currently, the LRT is indeed on an RFID system.

The headline is a bit off as well. The real-time information systems won't, on their own, reduce wait times, they will just make them more accurately and easily known and thus more bearable.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #1692
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
The headline is a bit off as well. The real-time information systems won't, on their own, reduce wait times, they will just make them more accurately and easily known and thus more bearable.
Well, they would reduce the time spent waiting at bus stops, because if you know accurately when it's coming you can time your exit.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #1693
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a link to a survey about the Northwest Hub study. This deals with the area encompassing the University of Calgary, Foothills Hospital, Alberta Children's Hospital and University Research Park.

http://itsyourhub.ca/

The survey asks/primes you about several different ideas for improvements to transit service and mobility in this area.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1694
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Is there a concrete date for the re-opening of Chinook station? I know it was "August", but nothing more specific. How far along has work progressed there?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #1695
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering the same thing. I drove by it yesterday and it seemed that most of the new platform has been completed as well as the new bus shelter.

Also, I wonder how they are going to make 39th Ave 4 car stations, it seems like they may be challenged with a lack of space
Lil Pedro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #1696
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I drove by it yesterday and it seemed that most of the new platform has been completed as well as the new bus shelter.

Also, I wonder how they are going to make 39th Ave 4 car stations, it seems like they may be challenged with a lack of space
I use this station everyday and always thought that there might be enough space at the south end of the platform. It'll be a tight squeeze but just by eyeballing it, it looks big enough. The only other choice l can think of is building an entirely new platform on the north side of 39th.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #1697
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My guess is they have to close 39th avenue or they build it north of it like Huntingwhale said. Both have issues. If you build it on the north side of 39th you close off that little one-way alley the buildings on the west side of the line use. Doesn't the Days In use that alley into their parking Garage? or is that the next block up?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #1698
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

An idea that has been floated for 39th Ave is to move it closer to Mission Road, and then the city would also build a stop at 50th Ave.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #1699
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post

Transit operator here, when they first started construction on Chinook, they were estimating 8 months, so if that holds true we would see the new Chinook open mid September. Personally I haven't heard any updates (they don't keep us well informed on these things plus I am out on short term disability right now), but I wouldn't be surprised to see the project run longer than they initially anticipated.

As for 39th ave station, I have no idea what their plans are, but I do believe there is enough room on the south side of the station as Huntingwhale alluded to.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1700
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The projected opening date for the new Chinook station has always been August, and IIRC they gave an update recently they were on schedule.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings