Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Secret Invasion - Spoilers

Now that the series is wrapped figured it'd be good to have an open spoiler discussion. Spoilers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Yeah. Looking back on the 1st episode it know seems weird that they would:

Spoiler!

for a series with no real consequences and nothing really happened. Feels a bit to me like when they just took out Klaw for no reason. Although maybe Klaw is coming back for Secret Wars somehow?

When first reading this I was like "Klaw was in this?" and was very confused.

Yeah so things felt very weird in this series. Like I said in the other thread, it seemed afraid of being too high stakes with characters, knowing it's not a big tentpole feature film release. But the material requires high stakes in order to sell the premise. Would have been much more interesting in major characters had been Skrulls for literally all of their time in the MCU, but they could play at that level.

Weird budget constraints made this feel super odd sometimes. The President is attacked and he's in a room with one other guard and a doctor? A lot of the same sets. Most of the money seemed to be spent on the cast and the Skull transitions (which did look great).

Does anyone else thing Ben Mendelshon has an Elmer Fudd type drawl sometimes? He's an alien so I buy him being a little weird, but overall Talos was pretty wasted.

Confirmed: Extremis heals all wounds except through the chest.

So now G'iah is also Captain Marvel++?

I was impressed by Kingsley Ben-Adir's cajones shouting in Sam Jackson's face and grabbing his head. Good on ya.

I liked G'iah and Varra protecting the house, that was a fun little action scene. I liked most scenes with Jackson and Varra. Coleman was a stand out when she showed up. I thought they did a great job of sort of making you forget about her and then OH there she is. I liked the sort of blending with the "Lizard people" conspiracy a bit, I'm not sure if that whole thing pre-dates Skrull publication or not, but it's kind of a funny connection I think they could have played up a little bit more maybe with a conspiracy theorist element somewhere. And again, would have held better if the people who were Skrulls weren't just imprisoned somewhere but had actually been Skrulls for like 30 years. Probably could have been built up as a bigger mainline Avengers story, so it feels a little flat on this format, like most of these shows have really.

4/10
Old 07-28-2023, 08:15 PM   #2
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said it in another thread: this had the potential to be the MCU's Andor. It wasn't.

It was OK...not great, not bad, and the only needle it moved was introducing another overpowered superhero. By the way, that whole sequence involving the "Harvest" and CGI fight was absurd.

People referred to it as Old Man Fury, which it kinda was but even if you consider that premise it should have kicked ass. Nick Fury is and has been a great character in the entire run, and they had a real chance to give that character the bad-ass semi-send off he deserved. Felt like they fumbled that.

The best thing MCU has done this phase was wrap up the Guardians, which sucks because that arc is done. There are some characters I'm still interested in at this point (Shang-Chi, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Loki & Mobius) , and I'm cheering for a fun Thunderbolts movie, but they are running out of momentum.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:00 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

At this point the only thing that can save the MCU IMO is if they stick the Fantastic 4 and X-Men reboots. None of their current roster can carry the franchise like RDJ and Chris Evans did, but there are plenty of characters that could if they stick the castings
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:37 PM   #4
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge disappointment. I'm a big MCU fanboy who has watched every movie, streamed every Disney+ show, and even wear a Thor L&T hat with pride and I can't find anything redeeming about this turd. With Ant Man this is the nadir of the MCU and, unlike their previous low point after Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, I can't see much coming down the pipeline to improve things.

I started listing out everything I disliked about the series but it was becoming a bit ridiculous. So much bad writing from the stupid plot to the dumb characters. Like half the time the villain want to kill Fury but then he wants him alive? Also Fury was an idiot giving up the DNA and then he leaves the earth a mess. Made me think less of a previously awesome character. Thought there was a big twist coming to redeem everything and instead we got an lame CGI fight that broke the universe power levels.

The rush to put out content for Disney+ when the post End Game MCU should have been scaled back is really hurting product quality. Secret Invasion could have been an Avengers movie.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a pretty big MCU defender and I thought I was bad, even if you forgive them for being boring, it hurt the overall narrative of the MCU. I like the Eternals, I like the Ant-Man series, hell I even really enjoy Hawkeye. But I think fundamentally they need to stop dipping there toe in water that requires so much ret-conning.

I think I mentioned it here before, but I think the MCU was in the perfect position to do a current timeline Secret Invasion, and instead they changed 25 years of known history.

Story should have been something to the effect of;
1995 - Cpt Marvel and The Skrulls leave C-53 with light speed engine
2018 - Nick Fury pages them and they come back.
2018 - Half the people on Earth are missing, so the Skrulls assume famous/powerful identities
2023 - People return, and Skrulls self-justify kidnapping them to cover up the past 5 years, and continue their project of occupying earth.
2024 - Rumors are swirling about weird things that happened with these people the day of the un-blipping, in steps Nick Fury to investigate who because disappointed in is old Friend Talos when he discovers what has happened.

Short term, contained to it's own time-line, woven into the pre-existing stories instead of re-writing them.

I really fear what they are going to do to justify that Magneto, Xavier and Wolvernie are 90 years old and have existed in the MCU all along, when really what the current story demands is that mutation is a new problem that has quietly been bubbling under the surface for 25 years since people now in their 40s became teenagers.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #6
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not a comic guy but have watched 98% of the MCU movies and shows. I dont know the characters outside of what's been in the various MCU movies and shows. My opinion on this one is that it was dumb. I hated the ending. The world is now in terrible shape and Fury just bails to work on SABRE. Why would the Skrulls continue to help on a planetary defense system if that planet has a bunch of vigilantes killing Skrulls and a president encouraging it?

The way I understand it is Captain Marvel is so powerful that the problems on Earth and related planets could be solved in an instant so it has to be hand-waved away that she's busy dealing with worse/bigger things elsewhere in the galaxy and that we probably got this.

In all her travels, she couldn't find a planet for the Skrulls, or was she not really looking? Either way she is either apathetic or incompetent. Captain Marvel sucks.

Now G'hia is Captain Marvel^10? I guess the world is safe now from anything we could encounter? Why are they going to make any more movies? Everyone will just be asking 'Why dont they just send in G'hia?'.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 12:58 PM   #7
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
So much bad writing from the stupid plot to the dumb characters.
Not so much "bad writing", as no writing. Somehow 250M spent on this but they were making it up as they go, and did so while the writer's strike was occurring.

https://www.insider.com/marvel-secre...terview-2023-7
Quote:
"And I think as we are editing, we're still finding the story. We were finding the story on episode six up until episode one had already aired."
It was so dumb. So very dumb. I could pick apart everything in that finale and how stupid it was, but the MCU already did in She-Hulk's finale where they joked about how terrible it would be if the bad guy got super powers from DNA and it resulted in Marvel's classic same-powered villain vs hero. So of course they did that in Secret Invasion just to mock us idiots who have stuck around.

But can we talk about "The Harvest"? Like other than everything about it, the way Fury kept the DNA of all the superheroes and villains was just to put them all in the same vial? Lol.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #8
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the "Will I Ever Re-Watch That" scale the answer is no.

There was just nothing outstanding about it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 01:55 PM   #9
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

krustysimpsonswthwt.gif

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote