Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2023, 08:08 PM   #1
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default One Piece (Netflix)

There are very few things (A Flames Cup Run, Getting Married, Having a Baby, or winning a lottery) that could get me as excited as the accuracy-to-source material that it looks like this is going to have. Oda (author of the source material) has been incredibly hands on. Last time I was this hyped for an adaption of something I already followed was when Game of Thrones started.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they feel the need to create live action versions of anime? I'm not a big anime watcher but I haven't heard of a good live action version of an anime yet.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 03:48 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'll give this a bit of a watch but I'm 99.9% sure it can't live up to the source material. There's just too much that is awesome animated but is terrible when you try to make it live action.

EDIT: I've never watched One Piece and I watch lots of anime so I won't be influenced by knowing the source material or "oh look there's that thing or scene from the anime!"
Old 07-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #4
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Why do they feel the need to create live action versions of anime? I'm not a big anime watcher but I haven't heard of a good live action version of an anime yet.
Speed Racer movie is about the only one.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2023, 08:56 AM   #5
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The Rurouni Kenshin live action films were pretty well-received, as was Nodame Cantabile. I never watched them.

Great Teacher Onizuka is a classic, whether manga or live action. In this triad, the anime is actually the black sheep.

I had a blast with the Chihayafuru live action film. Although the anime is to me the best version of it.

Kimi wa Pet was really good, too.

Hana Yori Dango 2006 was amazing... so good I never wanted to watch or read any other version of it (and between the manga, anime, and dozens of K-drama versions... that's a lot)

Apparently, Hikaru no Go's chinese live action adaptation was 10/10

As far as your overall point though - I think adaptations tend to flop for largely the same reasons, whether it's an adaptation of a manga like One Piece or a novel series like The Witcher:

- writers taking creative liberties because they simple don't know the source material outside of reading a few summaries
- writers trying to appeal to the culture of their target audience and over-emphasizing some parts while under-emphasizing others
- producers completely re-structuring the source material in order to fit into a watchable format (this even applies to something like the Lord of the Rings movies - three movies does not cover three books!), and often skipping key character development and plot exposition to make sure a few "iconic' scenes can all be squeezed in
- final cut editors removing dialogue-heavy scenes in favour of more action
- poor special effects due to budget limitations
- make-up and costumes that don't quite bridge the muted look of reality with the loud look of another medium
- just the wrong directors for the tone of the material
- deviations from the an incomplete source material when caught up

I don't think any of the above complaints are unique to adaptations of manga. But they're also things that good adaptations can account for. One of the reasons the Marvel Cinematic Universe is so successful despite, really, being comic book super hero movies/shows, is because a lot of the creative decisions are kept well in check.

Eiichiro Oda's heavy involvement in this one, as well as the format (a big-budget streamed TV series, with season one probably covering the East Blue Saga (the first ~100 chapters in a 1000+ chapter manga) gives me a lot of optimism. Sure, maybe some of these super powers even look cheesy in the trailer (I mean, the main character is Reed Richards minus a couple hundred IQ points) but it's not really what makes One Piece special. One Piece is special because of its top-tier worldbuilding, its impeccable theming of its story arcs, its emotional character development, and generally consistently fun adventure vibes.

If it succeeds in bringing in more fans, I'm all for it. Especially considering the biggest reason people give for not watching the One Piece anime is "not liking the art style"

Now, video game adaptations are another story, because a lot of what makes a good game doesn't translate into what makes a good passive medium like TV or cinema, but I don't think that's relevant here.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:19 AM   #6
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It’s not only Netflix that screws the pooch on live action remakes. The Diamond is Unbreakable live action movie was abysmal
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dropped out of reading One Piece during the sky island arc, it was good but it felt very similar to the previous story arc so I lost interest. Does OP stick with the "crew arrives at new island, gets entangled in their affairs, saves the day and moves on to the next one" formula? I feel like I'm missing out because they've really only started the world-building OP is famous for, but I can't handle repetitive story arcs.

Maybe Netflix has failed so much with live action adaptations that they've learned their lessons? Or maybe this is the last of the mega-budget streaming shows? A few years ago all the streaming platforms seemed to want high-budget prestige shows to anchor their services, but very few of the shows seem to be doing well.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:51 AM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It's not too hard to see why they are dong live action adaptations. Disney is doing the same thing with their classic animated movies.

The kids that grew up with this content are now income earning adults. Studios are just trying to cash in on the nostalgia.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote