Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #42
DoubleF
First Line Centre
 
DoubleF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Sounds like the DIY security monitoring systems are coming along nicely. It sounds like pairing up one of these systems along side with some windows laminate will be the best way to secure a home IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #43
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

For those interested Best Buy has a sale on Ring right now. Starter system as low as $160 down from about $260 regular price. I paid $220 just recently.

Great deal
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #44
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Going to this monitored system is going to save me $273/year on home insurance.

Also, I said monitoring was $10/month - that's USD, FYI.

I've also added a fire and CO detector for $49. I've put flood/freeze sensors in every bathroom, under the fridge (we have water to the fridge), under the kitchen sink/dishwasher, and in the utility room. Pretty stoked on how safe everything is feeling.

A couple of weeks in with this system and we're loving it. It is such an insane upgrade from a traditional alarm. Honestly, the fire and flood monitoring are probably more important than burglar alarm, and I didn't have either one of those before. I know three people that have had floods in the last year alone - one was the fridge and the other two were bathrooms. A flood is so upsetting and stressful. This could save my bacon.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #45
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I'm seriously going to have to give the Ring home alarm system a serious thought, especially if it's gonna pay for itself in two years of home insurance discounts.
__________________
If the Flames are playing, GO FLAMES GO.
If the Jets are playing, GO JE-... nm, ғ**ĸ the Jets.
GO FLAMES GO.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:13 PM   #46
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

I have had ring now for 1 month along with several cameras outside I got last year.

Works flawlessly. Just ordered a smart lock that works with ring so it will auto alarm and disarm when I lock the door. Plus Alexa has a feature that you can voice arm and disarm. Plus has break glass sensor when ring is armed.

I have sunk a bit into a full system, but for about $600 (Alarm and 3 cameras and 3 alexa devices) I have a fairly fortified home that is smart enabled.

EDIT: Just installed a compatible door lock. So now I have one touch setting the door and alarm. When I put my door code in to unlock it turns off my alarm as well. Fun stuff!

Last edited by OldDutch; 08-26-2019 at 02:40 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #47
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have had ring now for 1 month along with several cameras outside I got last year.

Works flawlessly. Just ordered a smart lock that works with ring so it will auto alarm and disarm when I lock the door. Plus Alexa has a feature that you can voice arm and disarm. Plus has break glass sensor when ring is armed.

I have sunk a bit into a full system, but for about $600 (Alarm and 3 cameras and 3 alexa devices) I have a fairly fortified home that is smart enabled.

EDIT: Just installed a compatible door lock. So now I have one touch setting the door and alarm. When I put my door code in to unlock it turns off my alarm as well. Fun stuff!
What model of lock? I can't help but notice that the Kwiksets that came with my Vivint system should work with Ring....

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...ith-Ring-Alarm

6 months left on the Vivint contract. Hopefully can file some of their holes in equipment by then - namely

- hidden door sensors (the strap on ones now are fugly)
- glass break
- garage door sensor
__________________

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 08-30-2019 at 12:14 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #48
OldDutch
First Line Centre
 
OldDutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North of the River, South of the Bluff
Exp:
Default

BE469 Schlage Century Lock with Z wave Plus

Got it on Amazon after confirming it would work in the ring app.

I had a 3 year Wiser lock that worked with Wink system and was Z wave plus. It did not work with ring however.

The lock was about $230 so I was ok with swapping out. With it Form the auto arm and disarm feature. Especially with kids.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #49
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

I purchased a Smart Wi-Fi plug only to be disappointed that it won't work with my router. I have Smart steering and the 2.4 only plug doesn't seem to want to talk to my router. any smart steering compatible or 5G compatible smart plugs out there?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #50
Diemenz
First Line Centre
 
Diemenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I purchased a Smart Wi-Fi plug only to be disappointed that it won't work with my router. I have Smart steering and the 2.4 only plug doesn't seem to want to talk to my router. any smart steering compatible or 5G compatible smart plugs out there?
Have no issues with Tp link plugs.

Try disabling airtime fairness on your router. That is an issue for Asus and a few other routers and smart devices.
__________________
PSN: Diemenz
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #51
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

The issue is that it's trying to connect to the 5G, or at least the router is trying to push 5G to the plug.

Someone suggested online to power down the 5G in a minimal power and go far from the router so that I'm only exposed the 2G and try that. Gonna be trying to get home

Busy driving around doing errands listening to sad music.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #52
Diemenz
First Line Centre
 
Diemenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The issue is that it's trying to connect to the 5G, or at least the router is trying to push 5G to the plug.

Someone suggested online to power down the 5G in a minimal power and go far from the router so that I'm only exposed the 2G and try that. Gonna be trying to get home

Busy driving around doing errands listening to sad music.
What plug? All my tplink had no issues connecting to my Velop same with my nest and wyze.
__________________
PSN: Diemenz
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #53
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Teckin

It's going back to Amazon
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #54
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback
 
oilyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SE Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Teckin

It's going back to Amazon
I have installed a few Meross plugs and switches from Amazon. They have all worked well
__________________
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is" — Jan Van De Snepscheu
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oilyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #55
White Out 403
In the Sin Bin
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I have installed a few Meross plugs and switches from Amazon. They have all worked well
Meross works like a charm!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:32 PM   #56
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sector 7-G
Exp:
Default

Lots of new announcements for the Ring ecosystem today:

- Cheaper stickup cameras
- Alarm retrofit for old *wired* systems (no vivint I'm thinking)
- Doggy GPS geofence tracking devices (this will sell a ton)
- Video doorbells that will answer in a "conversational manner"

https://shop.ring.com/pages/announcements


Here's hoping they put a simple feature to arm / disarm the alarm according to a schedule in the app, like every other system... Or a geofence if you really want to get out there....
__________________
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016