Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I would prefer that media criticisms be posted in a separate thread. Just discuss the game.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
They are very broken. They area missing Shawnski's goal lights.

What happened to Shawnski?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #23
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they're fine. They're just like watching around a group of strangers at a bar or something. Some are complete morons, some are hilarious, some take it too seriously, some sit in the corner quietly and chip in a small comment occasionally.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM   #24
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
What happened to Shawnski?
No idea. But sure miss that damn red light.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #25
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

People are so sensitive about everything in today’s society, anything you say or do can offend someone.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #26
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I would prefer that media criticisms be posted in a separate thread. Just discuss the game.

I disagree. To me the GT is about the shared experience of watching the game and that includes the commentators if they say something noteworthy (good or bad) during broadcast. We don’t need the pointless rants though....
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 PM   #27
Iggy3x
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One suggestion that I have is maybe it can become a habit for someone to post "end of first", "start of second", "end of second" etc. I think that would help people who come late figure out where things are and easier for people to search the GT as well.
Iggy3x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy3x For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People have too much time on their hands organizing threads on the net. I'd suggest boot camp.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
They are very broken. They area missing Shawnski's goal lights.
Didn't Halifax Drunk used to do that too?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #30
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy3x View Post
One suggestion that I have is maybe it can become a habit for someone to post "end of first", "start of second", "end of second" etc. I think that would help people who come late figure out where things are and easier for people to search the GT as well.
If it was easy to include timestamps of where you are in the game when you send your message, I'd love that.

2-15:40 Monahan with a beauty!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #31
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Does anyone else think we can do a lot better with the game thread? Don't get we wrong - I like venting in the thread as much as the next guy (actually i probably like venting more than the next guy) and the current thread format is really great for that. But if I want to do any of the following, the game day thread falls far short:

1) Using the GT as a way to catch up on a game. If I tune into the game late, the GT does not currently act as a way to get a feel of what's gone down thus far. Even something as simple as "are we winning because of goaltening, luck, domination, refereeing, etc?" is impossible to decipher from the current thread.

2) Reading the thread posts while watching the game is impossible. You can not do all of the following in the GT: post in the thread, read the entire thread, watch the game. It's hard to just keep up with the thread and watch the game simultaneously - even if you don't post. That means most people are literally just posting in the thread and not reading more than 10-20% of the posts.

3) Have a conversation about the game as it occurs. There is just way too much noise in the thread to have any type of conversation - even one as simple as "was that a fair penalty call?". Its devoid of content. These issues get worse in the playoffs as the active user base swells.

Given the above issues, just curious if theres any appetite to change the format of the GT. Just spit balling here but an easy way to fix the issues is to put a "per user post limit" in the thread of say 5 posts a game. That would slow down the number of posts, increasing the quality of posting and allow for an actual discussion to take place.

Thoughts? Sorry in advance if the majority thinks this is a stupid topic.

With the pace the game is moving at, there is zero time to have some sort of coherent discussion in text form as it goes on, and I really don't think there is any way to "fix" that, and I don't think it needs fixing. I usually drop in at stoppages to provide my two cents whenever I have something to provide, and to read the most recent posts. Between periods there are some discussion going for sure, but otherwise I think it's more like blink and you'll miss it. I actually like how GT:s are more like a real-time commentary of the game and a reflection of the feeling of the fan base than a forum for discussion.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #32
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I used to think the GT was a pretty decent representation of the game until last year when I realized a lot of people either do not watch the game, or only see what they want to see

I used to use the gt to get a guage on how the game was going if I couldn't watch it but many posters here seem to see a completely different game being played 98% of the time so it's basically worthless from that standpoint
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #33
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

GT are what they are, I rarely spend much time in them but the people who post in them seem to like them.

The worst part of them is when we score and you get 35 iterations of “Johnny!!” in a row, but I don’t see any reason to put effort into changing something that doesn’t effect me. People like it the way it is, if you don’t like it, don’t go in it.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #34
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Didn't Halifax Drunk used to do that too?
Yes, and his post would always be first to acknowledge a Flames goal. No matter what.. not sure how he did it (kind of like Sureloss breaking news)
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #35
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think what would the OP is referring to is an "As it happened" type blog post, which would by necessity be separate from the GT.

These "As it happens" type pieces are done exceptionally well in the british press. Usually for sporting events, but also for any news.

These are basically a person posting about the event in real time in short 1-2 paragraph updates. Many of these are 'what's happening' but they also have recaps, share funny comments on twitter and people that email him during the course of events.

These are very popular and a great way to experience an event.

Here is an example from the Tour de France. You read from the bottom up: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/li...-stage-18-live. I didn't reread this As it Happens, so not sure if this is a good one, but most of the time I'll end up laughing out loud while reading along.

Last edited by marsplasticeraser; 01-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #36
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy3x View Post
With a link in the OP would be fantastic for that.

End of periods, goals, and "big events". All linking to the post # that is most relevant.

That would be great, but not sure if it could be automated. Probably a pain in the ass for someone to do by hand.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #37
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Yes, and his post would always be first to acknowledge a Flames goal. No matter what.. not sure how he did it (kind of like Sureloss breaking news)
Shawnski was the originator. The gif files were on a site he ran. I took up the flag for a while while he was on hiatus. I believe you are correct HD kept it going too.

The files were all by player number and you just had the template pasted into the quick reply and then just jammed in the player name and hit post. It was a game within the game because you could sometimes anticipate the goal. Like a cross crease 1 timer to Iggy you had typed in 12 and hit reply as the goal light went on.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
GT are what they are, I rarely spend much time in them but the people who post in them seem to like them.

The worst part of them is when we score and you get 35 iterations of “Johnny!!” in a row, but I don’t see any reason to put effort into changing something that doesn’t effect me. People like it the way it is, if you don’t like it, don’t go in it.
Guilty as charged. Though sometimes I try to throw something topical in as well, about the shot or the setup.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #39
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Living away from calgary for 20 years now (man i'm getting old, very fast), GTs are a way for me to catch the game with other flames fans.

Are they overly emotional? Over the top? absolutely.

I'm pretty sure my dumbest, most idiotic moments on CP have come there. However, i don't think it's broken. We all get overly emotional when watching a game and discussing it in real time, in-personal or virtually.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #40
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
He was several time zones ahead so has a big advantage.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post: