Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #221
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well

After 36 days of stress. 60 applications, 25 first interviews 20 seconds, 16 thirds and a final negotiation with the company I wanted, I received my verbal offer tonight with written to follow on Friday with a starting date of November 5th.

all I can say is thank god, I mean things can go wrong but I have a good solid offer, I have to get used to working from home, which is great for the following reasons.

Tax write offs for home office (I think need to research that). Savings of probably a bit more then $200.00 a month, a sharp reduction in expensive lunches. No more spending an hour a day on the commute. A new and really interesting job. A bump in pay.

Hopefully this will work out great.

I want to thank all you guys and girls for your support. After several months of some of the absolute most shytty things happening to me and my friends and family, it was a big weight off my shoulders to get some good news.

I've worked from home from 1991 until I retired earlier this year. The main thing is to be disciplined. That wasn't a problem for me, as I was always swamped with deadlines and I didn't have time to slack off. The biggest problem I had was to get away from the work. It's hard when you have your office in your house. I felt guilty if I wasn't working. Anyway, you have to find a balance between work and leisure. Also, it is super important to be organized.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 03:32 PM   #222
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Hey Captain, just a quick question from the beginning of your post. It has been a few years since I was laid off and as such on EI but how did you start to receive payment within two weeks if you received a severance package? I thought the Government pushed back the start of EI payments based on the value of your severance package? I recall when I was laid off and applied for EI it was quite a while before I started receiving payment because of severance although I applied right away.

I was bounced on the 12th of September and given what worked out to 6 weeks of severance on top of my normal pay on the 14th, if I'm doing my math right. I submitted my UI claim on the 14th. I received my first payment on the 26th of September.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:48 PM   #223
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was bounced on the 12th of September and given what worked out to 6 weeks of severance on top of my normal pay on the 14th, if I'm doing my math right. I submitted my UI claim on the 14th. I received my first payment on the 26th of September.
If you are given severance you can’t collect EI until the second week after you were terminated. Your six weeks would have ended today, assuming you were paid regular wages to Sep 14. Next week would be your one week waiting period. If you were still unemployed you could collect for the week of Nov 5-9, assuming you met all the criteria. If you collected EI before this time, something is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #224
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Then I'll take the wrong, I have no reason to be dishonest in any way. I was surprised that it arrived as quickly as it did.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #225
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

They’ll claw it back at tax time, probably.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:48 PM   #226
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

maybe, not worried about that.

When I entered my UI I gave them the severance amount as well as supplying my ROI.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #227
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Then I'll take the wrong, I have no reason to be dishonest in any way. I was surprised that it arrived as quickly as it did.
Yeah, I made a claim once where they gave me the money and then changed their mind about me being qualified. They took all the money back, plus I had to pay back what they gave to Revenue Canada on my behalf. It all evened out once I did my taxes, but being unemployed at the time, having to pay it back was worse than if they had just said no in the first place.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #228
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I would like to post a question here:

How long did it take you from the day your company left you to actually starting on a new job?

For me, it took an average of 4-5 months from the day I was laid off to the first day I started my new job...
13 months - laid-off in 2016 and starting new job in mid-2017.

Over that time several opportunities where I was to the point of process of final 2 candidates.

However also during the 13 months there were times where I was not getting any interviews either.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #229
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like I am out of the market now as well, received a formal offer today, at the place that I was hoping to get on with. A decent raise from what I was at before and also an opportunity for bonuses, that I haven't had in years.
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ooogabooga For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It feels good to see people finding work. Its still tough out there and there are a lot of people that are losing their jobs right now, but at the same time there is work depending on your field.

I woke up this morning with a bunch of interview requests and a couple of offers, and part of me felt good for sending them a nice email thanking them for their efforts but I've found work.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So I wanted to carry this on in terms of what I did and what worked and what didn't work. I'm currently helping a friend of mine who's going through some struggles, so this will help me get my thoughts straight

The interviews

When you set up your interview, and they send you a range of dates and times, absolutely take the latest slot that you can. Conventionally most people try to get in first. But I always like to be last because if you nail a good interview, they'll make you the benchmark for the people that come in earlier.

Absolutely google your interview(s), linkedin, google, at least get to know a bit about them. I interview with an alumni of my school which was actually kind of fun.

People ask me about dress. I've been shocked in this process in that the interviewers are decidedly casual, so after the first few interviews of severely outdressing my interviewers, I dialed it back a bit. I ditched the tie half way through for some interviews. I interviewed with a company that talked about their casual environment so I took the risk of not wearing a jacket.

Like I mentioned before, if you can devolve you're interview into a conversation you win. If you allow them to "Interrogate" you, you lose, you miss out on a chance of creating common ground. This is why you really have to research the company that your interviewing with and the person that you're talking to.

With the last few interview I managed to swing the interview to getting the company sold to me, I justified that as telling them that I'm particular about who I work for because I put my reputation on the line, and that I'm particular in the companies that I want to work for and have built my search around that. Usually that will get the interviewer curious about why you applied to them, make sure that you have an answer to that besides the free snacks line in their posting.

When they turn the interview over to you to ask questions, please make sure you ask good questions. One interviewer told me that it drove him crazy when people were either asking very few questions, or none at all. Remember my line about acting like you're an investor? This really comes into play. I'm in business development, so I asked questions around how the company supported business development. If they told me that 90% of their efforts were dialing cold calls, I was pretty much out. Its not that I don't like that activity, and I understand that it has to be done, but I was brutally honest with the math of dialer marketing with the interviewer and it allowed me to talk about other activities that I did.

Absolutely ask the interviewer what they like about the organization, and what they would change. You'll be surprised at the answer.

Absolutely ask about the onboarding process. This allows the interviewer to envision you working there.

Ask ask ask. Do not ask about comp in the first couple of interviewers, frankly they will get to it. But when they do, don't just blurt out a salary, ask him what they're commonly paying, ask about benefits and bonuses. Everything is negotiable if you're a strong candidate.

Ok, so you've reached the end of the interview.

Absolutely set bench marks, get dates or time lines for next steps. Set a follow up process. "If I don't hear from you, when do I call you questions" and make sure you're clear on call. Ask him what the next steps entail. If you're going to interview with someone else, make sure you get a name so you can get to work on your research.

Ok, I want to add this in. Unless you're in an art or technical field absolutely refuse to do a proof of concept or any other type of homework. I had one interviewer ask me for a 30 60 90 day sales plan. I refused and drop the company from my strong interest column. First or all, all it takes is one misstep to kill you in the process. B if they're that interested in working with you, doing something like this should require collaboration from the person that you're going to be working for. Homework is a dream killer in the interview process. Don't do it. I responded by reversing the question and asking for a sample of the companies 30 60 90 day sales plan, and he admitted that the established sales people really don't do it, so why should I? I have a 25 year track record of success and exceeding plan, and if we get to the reference stage you'll be able to ask them about that.

Then sum up the interview by asking how you did, did you miss anything that he really needed to check off. This allows him to admit to seeing faults that you can quickly explain or spin.

Ok, so you get done, when you leave make sure you go straight to your car or transportation, I had one guy sit in the lobby to watch me leave, so no fist pumps, or lighting a cigar, or sagging against a wall in exhaustion.

Ok so you're done. The second, and additional interviews follow the same pattern. Research come with questions, turn the interview to them selling the company to you. But before you get there.

24 hours after the interview send an thank you email. Make sure that its not just a thanks email. But re-iterate what you liked about the interview and the opportunity. From you're notes create 2 or 3 bullet points around why you're a strong fit for the position. Restate you're strengths to the position, and end positiviely.

If you've set your bench marks or next steps absolutely follow up with the interviewer so at least you'll know if you're going to the next steps. If you're not, absolutely ask for feedback on your interview so that you can correct any errors, if you have done a good job of setting a discussion, they'll tell you and they'll be honest about it. Leave it positive. You have nothing to lose. Also ask him if he knows anyone else that's looking for someone like you. If you get the next interview, ask him what the context of the next interview is going to be so you can preplan. review you're file of initial research on the company and what you learned in the interview so that you can start filling in the holes that you might have. The next interview is usually going to be tougher and less about personality and more about skills fit, so make sure that you review your skills story.

That's it for today, I'll keep going if you guys are interested.

Among the things that I want to cover off.

How to rank your opportunities.
You get an offer what to do
You get an offer but you are waiting for another opportunity.
What to do once you accept the offer.
Denying on purpose.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #232
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very helpful stuff, thanks Captain.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #233
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unnerving feeling of layoffs looming is awful. I haven't been through this in years and it's terrible. I'm a complete nervous wreck, wish me luck I make it through the cuts.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:22 PM   #234
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
The unnerving feeling of layoffs looming is awful. I haven't been through this in years and it's terrible. I'm a complete nervous wreck, wish me luck I make it through the cuts.
Good luck man, but you're right. I cant imagine that knife hanging over your heard just waiting for it to fall or not.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #235
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm safe for at least a month, depending on other variables
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #236
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Rhymes with?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #237
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Rhymes with?
Orange.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #238
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rhymes with?
A large local employer, couple thousand people. Sounds like 50+ laid off today

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 10-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:06 PM   #239
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rhymes with?
According to what I read on another site...

Exlax

I may be wrong.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:45 PM   #240
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
According to what I read on another site...

Exlax

I may be wrong.
Do you have a link I could see?

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed