Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #6881
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Let's get some firings happening already, Gretzky GM and Gulutzan coaching please and thank you.
You shut your mouth.

Chia is the best GM we've ever had, and no need to rush GG back to coaching, he can take over in the off-season. Hitch is doing a bang up job right now.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #6882
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

This ched caller is salty.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #6883
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like Rob Brown, he's the only person that's not willing to tow the company line. I'm surprised they haven't replaced him yet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 PM   #6884
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rob Brown has the perspective of being a player, so i actually find him pretty good
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #6885
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would still have no problem bringing in Talbot next season. It Rittich can play 50 games, I think Talbot is a perfect stop-gap to play 30 games a season. Plus of course rejuvenating another former Oiler back to life is an added bonus! Prime Patrick Roy couldn't win with this team in front of him.
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 PM   #6886
Calgary_81
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Calgary_81; 01-21-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #6887
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_81 View Post
Going back to that topic about about realistic trade for McDavid, yes I do agree if a trade was to occur, it would have to an Eastern Conference team.

I wonder if the talent-rich Nashville would consider tearing down their well-built team to extend their compete window alot longer. They have the assests, but no way it would happen.

McDavid+Koskinen + Klefbom + 2019 first + 2021 lottery- protected 1st

for

Turris+Subban+Arvidsoon+Saros+2019 1st + 2020 1st
........out to lunch?
There were rumblings Nashville wanted to trade Subban because nobody liked him, especially Josi. But now it sounds like they've patched things up and Poile's gonna give this group one more shot. I think they lose out to Winnipeg in the quarters again.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 AM   #6888
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

NSFW Language:
https://twitter.com/leahflame/status...405004800?s=19
Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #6889
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland didn't play against the oilers due to an upper body injury. I wonder if he will be playing against the Flames?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:49 AM   #6890
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
There are entire rows of empty seats in the lower bowl.

Warms my heart.

There may still be drunk Flames fans lying under them.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #6891
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I really want the Oilers to trade RNH, Draisaitl, Larsson, Klefbom, and even McDavid because I think they're all really good players who I'd probably like on other teams.

On Edmonton, though... yikes. That place is an absolute sinkhole, it seems.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #6892
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two must-win games back-to-back at home to try to desperately hang on in the wild card race, of course the Oilers fails miserably in both. I love how this season is going so much.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:40 AM   #6893
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This gem from Spector gets posted regularly but looking at the calendar it is worth posting again. 2 years ago today the Oilers beat the Gulutzen Flames 7-3 and someone started to get cocky...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...attle-alberta/

Quote:
Edmonton officially passed Calgary Saturday night, in both the macro and micro sense of the word.
The Oilers moved nine points ahead of the Flames in the standings and will not be caught by their rivals this season. In the bigger picture, Edmonton is where Calgary was supposed to be by now, well on their way to being a top-10 National Hockey League team with an long and bright future.
Calgary has been the better franchise for many years. They are not anymore, and are firmly in the chase position from this point forward.

Quote:
The Flames are stalled for now, trying to figure out how to be any good in front of sub-par goaltending, wondering if leaders like Johnny Gaudreau and Sean Monahan are the real deal, truly able to carry this team beyond its current state.

Quote:
Calgary’s a wild card team at best now, while the Oilers are well in contention for the Pacific Division lead.
It’s a big change in Alberta, and it won’t be changing back soon.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #6894
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a brave kid at Rogers Place

Old 01-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #6895
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

@FireGilbert

and can't forget about this Dan Tencer tweet:

@dantencer
Quote:
Flames season about to start. Do you have your rearview mirrors dusted off, Oilers fans?
absolutely hilarious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 AM   #6896
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel bad for this Oilers fan

Quote:
A guy I know had two Oilers tickets in his truck lying on the dashboard this morning. He had to quickly run into 7-11 desperately needing to go to the washroom so badly he forgot to lock the vehicle. When he came back he was absolutely devastated and furious to see there were four tickets on top on the dashboard.
From r/hockey
Old 01-21-2019, 04:22 AM   #6897
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This gem from Spector gets posted regularly but looking at the calendar it is worth posting again. 2 years ago today the Oilers beat the Gulutzen Flames 7-3 and someone started to get cocky...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...attle-alberta/
IIRC wasn't that the game where Chad Johnson just let in a bunch of softies and we were still the superior team?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #6898
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post

And here’s an attempt at a trade with Florida who have much more in terms of NHL-impact assets:

To Florida:

McDavid + Lucic

To Edmonton:

Barkov + Ekblad
Top 2 prospects
2 first round picks

Am I way off-base with these kind of trades? I really don’t know TBH. I know Edmonton will never pull off a good trade and they’ll turn anything they get into garbage anyways because E=NG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BOOOOOO!!!

Barkov helps a team win a lot more than McDavid does. Puts up near a point per game, which obviously isn't McDavid level, but here's the thing: Barkov is an elite defensive forward who routinely plays the hardest minutes and often wins that battle. Connor floats on defense, full stop. Oh, and he wins faceoffs. Lots and lots of faceoffs. Connor still has his winger take draws for him. One last thing, Barkov is NEVER satisfied with his game, and is constantly working on things in the off-season to be a better player every single year. McDavid seems to have stagnated, meaning he isn't improving the deficiencies in his game the way he needs to.

I think Barkov is more of a franchise centerman than McDavid (yes I'm biased, but I just don't like McDavid's overall game). Plus, he makes just $5.9 million for another few years (and then I'm sure he'll get a significant raise) so his salary allows for more money to be spread around to other positions. Pretty important for a cash poor team like Florida.

I'd think long and hard about a 1 for 1 swap. Not sure I would do it, and I definitely wouldn't do any deal with Lucic included. Nobody would.

That's not even getting into Ekblad who is a solid average to above average defender who puts up points, especially goals. What are we getting back for our cornerstone franchise defenseman who is still just 22 years old? Bupkis. Basically you're saying that McDavid is worth two franchise players in return. No way.

Then we also have to throw in top prospects and draft picks for the privilege of Connor's incomplete game and Lucic's anchor contract. F that.

The Panthers are having a rough year, mostly because their goaltending has been letting them down, but they're much better set up for success in the near future than the Oilers are. That trade would sewer the franchise for the foreseeable future.

Awful awful awful.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #6899
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

They don't know what a 2 way forward is, they wouldn't cherish Barkov. They would just blast him for not putting up 120 points.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #6900
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shocking no tier 1 fans have thrown a jersey on the ice yet.
Closed Thread