Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #61
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund had the pedigree, he brother was picked top 10 pick the year before.
Markus Granlund also led the World Juniors in points soon after being drafted. He was a good prospect for where he was drafted.

I think they thought Granlund had pretty strong defensive play for his age. So he could be serviceable in a bottom 6 role. I doubt they thought Kucherov was good defensively, as high as his offensive ceiling was.

And at the end of the day, the Flames had an amazing 2011 draft. All 5 picks have played 30+ games. 3 of the players have played 250+ games. Only Wotherspoon is not a full time NHL player.
It was arguably their best draft since 1984 (which was one of the best drafts any team has had ever).

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 01-14-2019 at 03:50 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #62
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I remember Button saying that the reason the Flames passed on Kucherov was because they knew they were going to draft Gaudreau.

Despite this, they had Kucherov high on their rankings. Apparently they almost drafted him anyways.

""The Flames merrily made their second-round shouts — Markus Granlund, 45th; Tyler Wotherspoon, 57th — then groaned when the Tampa Bay Lightning nabbed Kucherov at No. 58.

“I turned to Jay and said, ‘We’ve got to take Johnny with the next pick,’ ” recalls Button. “Jay said, ‘Go ahead. Take him.’ ”"

From the Calgary Herald
I think you have that a little backwards actually. It was that Tampa took Kucherov in the 2nd round and The Flames had them ranked closely, so they decided to take Johnny next, who luckily fell to the 4th, because they didn't have a 3rd that year.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 PM   #63
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kucherov held off the scoresheet tonight. Johnny is 6 points behind in the Art Ross race both players have played 47 games.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #64
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Johnny Gaudreau leads the NHL in goals since Nov 19th. 21 goals in 27 games.

Damn impressive.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #65
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, really really weird, since he doesn't ever seem like he's even trying to score goals.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #66
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Kucherov held off the scoresheet tonight. Johnny is 6 points behind in the Art Ross race both players have played 47 games.

I've heard a few stories that the Flames really wanted to draft Nikita Kucherov in 2011. Would have been nice getting Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov in the same draft. Kucherov ended up going round 2 58th overall. Calgary had the 57th pick and used it on Tyler Wotherspoon instead as they thought they could get Nikita with a later pick. I'm sure others have heard this story as well. I heard it a few times but recently on 960 radio like a month ago or so.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #67
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Brett Hull was a point-per-game rookie with the Flames (after killing it in the AHL). He had fine opportunity with the Flames they just sold him early on in his career to get depth and ultimately the Cup.

Yup Brett Hull was doing great in his rookie season in Calgary. Whats cool about Hull is he made his NHL debut in the Stanley Cup finals between Flames and Montreal
Old 01-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #68
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Johnny Gaudreau leads the NHL in goals since Nov 19th. 21 goals in 27 games.

Damn impressive.
And 2nd in points (2 behind Kucherov). Five goals and 8 pts up on McDavid.

Also, Giordano (28), Lindholm (27), Brodie (23) and Gaudreau (22) are 1-2-3-4 in plus/minus since then.

Also, Backlund 10th, Monahan T-12th and Tkachuk T-14th. Seven of the top 18 players in the league since Nov 19th.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #69
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Also, really really weird, since he doesn't ever seem like he's even trying to score goals.
Except for his new move of randomly taking a clapper from far out on the PP. With a 60-something flex stick. Makes me laugh every time!

Has he ever scored using a slapshot that wasn't a one-timer?
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #70
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was just looking at his stats and I don't know if it's just a coincidence but last year he had the same PPG than his 1st year in Boston College. 1PPG

His 2nd year in Boston College, his PPG was 1.46 and guess what his PPG is at the moment ? 1.48!!

So I look at year 3 in Boston College and if this is his trajectory for next year, we are looking at 164 points!!!!

Ok gotta reduce my caffeine intake. Guy is special and good. That's all that counts.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Always Earned Never Given For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #71
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
I've heard a few stories that the Flames really wanted to draft Nikita Kucherov in 2011. Would have been nice getting Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov in the same draft. Kucherov ended up going round 2 58th overall. Calgary had the 57th pick and used it on Tyler Wotherspoon instead as they thought they could get Nikita with a later pick. I'm sure others have heard this story as well. I heard it a few times but recently on 960 radio like a month ago or so.

It’s kind of funny though, if the Flames drafted Kucherov maybe they would have gotten better faster during the rebuild, and wouldn’t have had the chance to draft Tkachuk.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #72
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman has been pretty adamant that he'd have Gaudreau at the top of his list for the Hart. I wonder how many other voters will see it the same way. You don't need to win the Art Ross to win the Hart Trophy, but I wonder how many voters out East would choose Gaudreau over Kucherov who they can watch all the time. The same question could also apply to the Ted Lindsay Award as well.

Would be nice for the Franchise to finally have a Hart Trophy added to the mantle.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #73
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you could say that given the Canadian media attention and him being a pretty big deal in the US NE, Johnny actually has a better chance at gaining Eastern votes winning it over Kucherov
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:44 PM   #74
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Very true story. Tod Button had both Kucherov and Gaudreau set aside as wild cards. Once Kucherov was selected, Tod wanted Gaudreau with the next pick. These 2 together would've been an absolute terror for the opposition. Gaudreau with the cross seam pass to Kucherov, one timer, in.

Hopefully Button can find another diamond in the rough before the window closes.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #75
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Active players, ranked by career points per game, represented by their draft position.

1st, 1st, 2nd (after one of the guys taken 1st), 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st, 104th.

And Gaudreau is ahead of every single one of these guys so far this year.