Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #861
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Also, since when has Commodore become a voice of truth? Lately the guy has been less reliable than eklund as a hockey insider. Not sure I would put a modicum of trust in what hes saying.
Well, theyíre personal friends and Neal was on his couch telling him this. Or he was on Nealís couch, canít remember. Apparently the guy was nursing injuries and needed rest, good or bad decision, no matter it will be improved with a proper, injury free off season. Guy might have been burned out for whatever we know.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #862
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It won't take that much not with also taking a bad contract back.

I do have time for Neal though as I think he has a big bounce back year next year.

A major factor here is Lucic requiring expansion draft protection and being essentially buyout and demotion-proof.

That contract is a much bigger problem than you give it credit for.
mrdonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #863
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
A major factor here is Lucic requiring expansion draft protection and being essentially buyout and demotion-proof.

That contract is a much bigger problem than you give it credit for.
He wants to leave though, so will do such things such as agreeing to waive for the expansion draft for the team who acquires him. He will have to if he wants to get traded. Or does he nix the trade if the team acquiring him won't honour the NMC? Maybe, just depends how bad he wants to move on.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #864
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Well, theyíre personal friends and Neal was on his couch telling him this. Or he was on Nealís couch, canít remember. Apparently the guy was nursing injuries and needed rest, good or bad decision, no matter it will be improved with a proper, injury free off season. Guy might have been burned out for whatever we know.
I heard this not too long ago as well, and on this reason alone, I am willing to give Neal another shot. None of us know really what happened this year except himself and probably Flames management. Hopefully he rebounds much like Hamonic did in his second year. However, no more excuses after that if he can't turn it around.
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #865
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's good to hear Commodores comments about Neal and hopefully it's true. Neal bouncing back to 20+ goal, #### disturbing, physically menacing form will go a long ways to help the Flames maintain 100+ point regular season and getting back into the post season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #866
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Neal quite literally can’t play any worse than he did last year. It’s worth seeing how he can respond.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #867
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I have no doubt he intends to work and hard and could very well bounce back to some degree, but I don't think he likes it in Calgary and I've heard several times on 960 from different personalities that he and the coach didn't get along.

It seems a long shot but I don't expect him back.

Food for thought (Athletic subs only, sorry)

https://theathletic.com/1017634/2019...or-the-flames/

Last edited by Toonage; 06-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #868
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please please...no one bail out the oilers on this lucic contract.
dustygoon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #869
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was just a shooting percentage thing, bounces, pucks not going in, whatever, that would be one thing.

Neal was the worst player without the puck on the whole roster.

That flyby out of the zone in game 4 vs the avs had absolutely nothing to do with his fitness level or injuries. In fact, it was the quickest I'd seen him move in a flames jersey all year.

I don't doubt at all there was friction with the coaching staff, as the guy was bringing basically nothing at all on a nightly basis. He was gifted icetime that should've went to other players which likely caused discord in the room, and he didn't show any hustle at all that you'd expect from a player not scoring.

That's great that he and Commodore are friends, I always look out for my friends and shine the best possible light on them.

Unfortunately, the flames have 65+ games of Neal sucking the wind out of the joint. I'm going to believe what my own eyes tell me instead of what Mike Commodore has to say about one of his friends.

Anyone that wants Bennett to see an increase in icetime should be hoping and praying neal isn't on the roster next year.
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #870
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Says you. Meanwhile reports out of Nashville say they want Neal back. So.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
where are these reports
Quote:
*Tap tap* is this thing on?
https://streamable.com/dcxaz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:18 PM   #871
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't hate the idea of Neal playing for the Flames next season. I say that because I don't see any possibility that he is traded in a situation that is good for the Flames, and because his buyout next off-season is somewhat palatable - something like 1.9M until 2026.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:09 PM   #872
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2019/2020 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
...That's great that he and Commodore are friends, I always look out for my friends and shine the best possible light on them.
Is that right? You make it a habit of lying about your friends in order to cover their flaws? Is this really the implication we are to believe about Mike Commodore?

Quote:
Unfortunately, the flames have 65+ games of Neal sucking the wind out of the joint. I'm going to believe what my own eyes tell me instead of what Mike Commodore has to say about one of his friends...
Thatís great. So, what do your eyes tell you about James Nealís current off season regimen? How about last season?

I am only asking because I, for one, have no idea about such things, nor how they affected Nealís performance with a new team beyond what has now been reported by Commodoreówho is close to Neal, and now your also equally reliable eyeballs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #873
gvitaly
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is that right? You make it a habit of lying about your friends in order to cover their flaws? Is this really the implication we are to believe about Mike Commodore?
You know there is a difference between lying and having a biased opinion. When I discuss someone close to me, I am more likely to concentrate on their strengths and downplay their weaknesses. I could also miss a flaw because in my mind it’s just a part of their personality. Though I think you already knew what Flash meant, just needed a reason to sound outraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That’s great. So, what do your eyes tell you about James Neal’s current off season regimen? How about last season?
Flash was saying that Commodore’s comments are speculative in nature. He didn’t say he had better speculation to share. Therefore, the only way to see how Neal improves over the summer would be to watch him play next season. As for last season, all too often he wasn’t moving his feet. Neal’s play seemed somewhat disinterested especially when it came to defensive zone play, corner battles, finishing checks, and mixing things up after the whistle. It’s the lack of commitment to those details that makes me question his commitment to giving this offseason his all. In fact, he seemed like a player on a retirement contract... or someone that already won the lottery, but still shows up to work without a care in the world about his performance.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #874
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The biggest turn off for me was immediately following the signing I heard a snip of James Neal saying he was excited to play on a line with Johnny and Monny. To then follow that up by clearly being unprepared makes me doubt his character. I hope he proves me wrong because there have been a lot of positive things said about James Neal the person from people in the organization.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #875
Macho0978
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd consider Neal for lucic and 8th overall pick. Even though Neal is more likely to bounce back the likelihood either is worth their contract is very low. 8th overall gives us options to improve the team elsewhere. Lucic vs Neal contract only hurts if you choose to buyout but I don't think a neal buyout is smart for at least 2 years anyways

Lucic actually gives the flames physical play as well. Rather have Neal but cant ignore adding 8th overall pick to this draft
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #876
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

At this point I don't know what happened last off season. It very well could be that Neal was really banged up, and wasn't able to properly train until training camp. Flames were generous enough to offer him 28.75 million for the next 5 years, and he took it.

One thing James Neal does have an established history of is struggling when he first joins a new team. Happened after he was traded from Dallas to Pittsburgh, happened in Nashville, didn't happen in Vegas, but happened again last year. But every time he has rebounded to come back and be much better the following season. So really Vegas is the outlier, and there wasn't a player on that team who didn't seem to be motivated by something to prove his her worth as a NHL player.

Now it might well be that all he has left in the tank is to be a 20 goal and 35 point player which isn't useless but would be overpaid based on his deal. But for that reason I do think you need to see how he does this coming year. If he's the same as last year than it's a serious problem. If he can come back and produce, than hopefully he does so for 3 more seasons. In the case of Lucic...he was okay that first season, but now has two years of steep decline. Eriksson is older and is at 3 years of down production. So to me that is a bit more worrisome. It's likely that all 3 are what they are now...but if I have to bet on one to come back a bit...It's Neal.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #877
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Just tolerate Neal until the get out of jail free cards arrive with the next CBA. Owners can pay for the mistake. Trading him isn’t going to help anything now, maybe you can pay Seattle to take him or something too. No sense for a garbage in garbage out trade right now.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #878
The Cobra
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I'd consider Neal for lucic and 8th overall pick.
And protect him in the expansion draft? No thanks, not happening.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #879
Macho0978
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
And protect him in the expansion draft? No thanks, not happening.
Lol way too many people getting worked up about a draft 2 years from now. It's not like it would cost us gaudreau Monahan tkachuk lindholm Bennett or backlund. I'm sure 2 years from now you could look at a a buyout if you have 7 or more forwards to protect or ask lucic to waive for draft knowing he won't get picked.

Imo adding 8th overall pick in a neal trade is a steal even if lucic comes our way too. 8th overall is exempt from expansion too and great replacement potential for a player we lose in expansion draft too
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #880
FiveSeven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
Neal will bounce back. Commodore (on spitting chiclets) had some interesting comments about him (apparently they hang out), and Neal was broken down after two tough, long seasons. Expected a monster offseason and back to normal next season. Neal was very disappointed with himself and took full responsibility - apparently had no offseason training before training camp.

So donít sell low - yet.
Add in the strange fact that most of the spotlight players that come here seem to struggle mightily their first year. I'm honestly pretending last year didn't happen when it pertains to Neal lol.. Excited to see him join the team!