Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2024, 09:13 AM   #7941
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Watched a fantastic Korean horror film The Wailing. It was a riveting watch and at 2.5hrs it never drags or loses your attention. It also has a great mix of comedy and absolutely terrifying moments. Korean cinema is putting out absolute bangers lately, especially in the horror genre.
Thanks for recommending and sharing! Absolutely love foreign films and horror movies! Definitely will be checking this one out.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 10:12 AM   #7942
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I liked Infernal Affairs but haven't seen the sequels. I don't know anyone who has either. Are they worth watching?

I've started collecting Criterion Blu Rays (I have some DVDs already) and they have the trilogy so if the sequels are good I'll pick it up.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:31 AM   #7943
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watched a fantastic Korean horror film The Wailing. It was a riveting watch and at 2.5hrs it never drags or loses your attention. It also has a great mix of comedy and absolutely terrifying moments. Korean cinema is putting out absolute bangers lately, especially in the horror genre.
Oh #### I agree with Nadal Fan on a movie! The Wailing is definitely a good one.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 01:08 PM   #7944
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We watched Morbius on the weekend, was pretty bad and just kind of... dumb, I guess? It wasn't offensively terrible or anything, and we worked our way through a bottle of wine while watching so kind of just made fun of it and chit-chatted our way through and had a good time, but just kind of mediocre and forgettable. We did laugh about how in the last fifteen minutes of the movie he has three people he cares about die in his arms (all in separate places / circumstances).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 01:12 PM   #7945
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 01-22-2024, 03:04 PM   #7946
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay...that was awful.

Not in the good..."so bad its good" way but in the "that was boring as hell" way.

Nobody does a hiariously bad job, not even Gene Simmons. I'm surprised that Selleck agreed to be in this thing.

It was just...not bad enough to be hilarious, had a few moments of hilarity, nobody was so bad as to be funny, it was just...'meh.'
Magnum PI in mithril, though.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 03:37 PM   #7947
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

After hearing the news of Norman Jewison how can I not recommend Moonstruck (my favorite rom com) , or Rollerball a fantastic sports movie about a futurist gladiator sport, or The Hurricane a fantastic movie about a boxer wrongfully sent to jail staring Denzel Washington. RIP to maybe the greatest Canadian director of all time.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 04:00 PM   #7948
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Directed two of my favorite musicals ever: Jesus Christ Superstar and Fiddler on the Roof. Both films look and feel "real", which is hard to do in a musical, especially the fantastical nature of Superstar.

Carl Anderson has one of my favorite performances ever here, playing Judas:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 05:01 PM   #7949
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

No love for In the Heat of the Night?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:48 PM   #7950
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

"They call me MISTER Tibbs!" is one of the all-time greatest lines in a movie.

Jewison definitely made tackling racism and corruption central themes of his movies, at a time when it would have been pretty controversial. That's a pretty powerful legacy.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 07:10 PM   #7951
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Directed two of my favorite musicals ever: Jesus Christ Superstar and Fiddler on the Roof. Both films look and feel "real", which is hard to do in a musical, especially the fantastical nature of Superstar.

Carl Anderson has one of my favorite performances ever here, playing Judas:

Yeah, he absolutely killed it. Easily the definitive Judas. His version of 'Heaven on their Minds' is one of my favorite all time songs from a musical.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 10:20 PM   #7952
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright. I'll say it.

"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" is one of the most under-rated movies of our time.

It is hilarious.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 12:40 AM   #7953
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Alright. I'll say it.

"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" is one of the most under-rated movies of our time.

It is hilarious.
This reminds me, I have to track down the dvd (or bluray) that has the cut from the kids perspective, where Tucker and Dale are the villains. I can't believe the effort that went into having two full cuts available.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:46 AM   #7954
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I watched this great modern movie that was basically the re telling of the Frankenstein tale, where a doctor brings back to life a young women. While the story has been done before this was a great update with a wonderful script, and amazing visuals with lots of shot on scene cinematography. Plus it also manages to have a great message that applies to modern times. Of course I'm talking about Frankenhooker, wonderful 90s film that everyone needs to see at least once.
I might end up doing a doubleheader with this and Barbie. From what I understand, it hits a lot of the same beats.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:40 AM   #7955
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I never saw that movie because...well...it was supposed to be really bad. Was that actually a scene?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 07:19 AM   #7956
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I never saw that movie because...well...it was supposed to be really bad. Was that actually a scene?
No one will ever know.
Old 01-24-2024, 07:33 AM   #7957
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
This reminds me, I have to track down the dvd (or bluray) that has the cut from the kids perspective, where Tucker and Dale are the villains. I can't believe the effort that went into having two full cuts available.

Were there two separate cuts? I thought the other perspective was part of the original movie? Or do you mean there is the entire movie from their POV?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #7958
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
That would be cool! The way they structure the film as the theatrical cut is just brilliant.

There are so many brilliant moments, even the fact that the kids basically had to ham it up in order to be stereotypical slasher-movie victims? That was awesome!

Tucker and Dale are just making their way through this insane sequence of events?

Just...I dont know whose idea this movie was, but its brilliant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:24 PM   #7959
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught a bunch of movies over the holidays:

Chicken Run Rise of the Nugget: Talk about an unnecessary sequel. The original told a concise story that didn't need to be expanded upon over 20 years later and it is tough to feel nostalgic when the original voice cast was replaced. The story is fine I guess with a few good laughs. Can't complain about the beautiful animation either. 5/10

The Creator: Gorgeous effects and world building but such a dull boring story that made no sense at times. Tried to explore some interesting sci fi concepts but barely scratched the surface before moving on. Had trouble rooting for the protagonist who had little charisma or redeeming features. I get it, he is haunted by the past, why do we have to keep getting flashbacks? A big missed opportunity. 5/10

Extraction 2: Feels like my feedback from the first one was heard by the writers as there is no slow build up and we just get balls to the walls fast paced action. Some plot conveniences and action tropes but still a lot of fun. The 2nd best action movie of 2023 after John Wick 4. 9/10

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: Now this is a really unnecessary sequel. Not sure who thought it was a good idea to make movie about a grumpy old Indy but seeing our hero reduced to old man yells at clouds certainly was a choice. Didn't mind Waller-Bridge as a new side kick but even she is let down by the writing with the audience constantly being told how cool she is supposed to be without many scenes actually showing this. At least Crystal Skull had some of that Spielberg magic and pulled the nostalgia strings. Can't think of many redeeming features for dial of destiny. 3/10

No Hard Feelings: Lots of laughs with an engaging story and lead characters but the tone is a bit strange. The story hits a lot of romantic comedy beats but it's not a romantic comedy. Also feels a lot like a teen sex comedy but plays it too safe with the humour. I wonder if the controversial age gap subject matter made them tone down the jokes, and I wanted them to lean more into the moral ambiguity and inappropriateness of the situation. I wish more of the movie was like the beach scene that took a big risk for a hilarious result. 7/10

Operation Fortune Ruse De Guerre: Doesn't disappoint with the typical Ritchie stylish direction and fast pacing but feels hollow. Couldn't help thinking all the spy/action scenes were done better in other movies. Also the humour fell flat and was overly reliant on stereotypes of the posh British guy and crass American girl not getting along. 6/10
Old 01-27-2024, 12:45 PM   #7960
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't matter how many times I've seen Apollo 13, I never get tired of it. The last twenty minutes always grab me.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: