Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #861
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm kind of surprised and disappointed in this day and age that stuff like that still happens in a City of Calgary department.
Agreed that it's disappointing. Unfortunately, I have to disagree that it's surprising.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #862
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm kind of surprised and disappointed in this day and age that stuff like that still happens in a City of Calgary department.
To be pedantic, the Calgary Police Service is not a City of Calgary department. They don't report to the City Manager (who in turn reports to Council). CPS is an entirely separate organization from the City of Calgary.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:22 PM   #863
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm...was a while ago.

Last edited by bossy22; 06-09-2020 at 01:09 PM.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #864
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm. All of my personal anecdotes concerning interactions with the Calgary Police have been overwhelmingly positive.

Except for one, but that was a long time ago.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #865
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hm. All of my personal anecdotes concerning interactions with the Calgary Police have been overwhelmingly positive.

Is that when you were a female recruit? Its like a rich white man in the southern US asking why everyone is so upset, all his interactions with the police have been favourable.

And by not reading ever word in your post, it goes directly over my head....woosh

Last edited by RogerWilco; 06-10-2020 at 09:33 AM.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RogerWilco For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 10:31 AM   #866
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A C of C, department, sure.

A Police Department, not a flipping chance this is surprising. The Union will step in to the rescue of these, poor alpha police officers, perennially victimized and bullied through their grade school years. Les Kaminksi, Union leader at the time.

Culturally (internally), they may be the most backwards Canadian profession there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Most of mine too. We're fortunate, as white men.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:32 AM   #867
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is brutal.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5600715?cmp...iF8jWS4wuIfCs4
Old 06-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #868
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need to setup some sort of "secret shopper" for police, where they go to a call and it's a test. Back when I used to work at a full service gas station we'd have someone from "the company" stop in once a month, and they were super strict. You'd get blasted if you did anything wrong and a report came in. So we made sure every car was serviced properly, as you didn't know who it was. We need this for police.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #869
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good luck finding volunteers for that secret shopper position
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #870
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We need to setup some sort of "secret shopper" for police, where they go to a call and it's a test. Back when I used to work at a full service gas station we'd have someone from "the company" stop in once a month, and they were super strict. You'd get blasted if you did anything wrong and a report came in. So we made sure every car was serviced properly, as you didn't know who it was. We need this for police.
Ha ha I remember this when I pumped gas at a full serve Esso station in my teens. I worked night shifts by myself and there would be crazy times when you had four cars filling and people in the station waiting to pay and buy smokes. We would always be missing packs of cigarettes as people would be alone in the station while I was outside filling cars, doing windows, etc so you had to try and balance things. I would be so busy that it would be one of the few times I would forego asking a customer if they need their oil checked and of course it would be one of those company people who would write me up for it but I was screwed either way as I was either getting #### on for not asking to check oil or that stuff in the station was missing.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #871
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, it was at Esso. Actually I remember if you did well you got a bonus, and everyone at the station also got one. So if you screwed up, you let everyone down.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #872
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-w...rest-1.4976131

Calls 911 over her car being stolen, finds out it was her son using it while on the call. Police still go to her house at 1:30 am. Enter without permission, goes into a sleeping woman's room, tells the kid to get out of his own house, then one officer randomly declares he's going to arrest someone (literally someone, not anyone in particular), then decides to assault the woman. Cherry on top is the woman was unknowingly charged only recently found out she has a court date coming up. And the police chief thinks this is just fine.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #873
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-w...rest-1.4976131

Calls 911 over her car being stolen, finds out it was her son using it while on the call. Police still go to her house at 1:30 am. Enter without permission, goes into a sleeping woman's room, tells the kid to get out of his own house, then one officer randomly declares he's going to arrest someone (literally someone, not anyone in particular), then decides to assault the woman. Cherry on top is the woman was unknowingly charged only recently found out she has a court date coming up. And the police chief thinks this is just fine.
If you're going to summarize something, at least use the most recent article and don't leave a bunch of pretty relevant stuff out of it. And I don't know how you can claim charges are unknown when you get served a summons.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #874
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
If you're going to summarize something, at least use the most recent article and don't leave a bunch of pretty relevant stuff out of it.
Why not post this more recent article, as the one Oling shared, was last updated Tuesday, June 9, 2020
Old 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #875
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was left out? It's a video of the incident with enough for me to make my own judgement on how ridiculous those thugs are. I mean the only new information seems to suggest that the police went there to make sure no one was being assualted.

Calgary police: "I heard someone might be getting assaulted...we came to join in."
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #876
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still waiting for resolution on the case of the 12 year old, hundred pound, autistic kid who had his head caved in a year and a half ago while in handcuffs. That one seems to have disappeared into the void too.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #877
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm still waiting for resolution on the case of the 12 year old, hundred pound, autistic kid who had his head caved in a year and a half ago while in handcuffs. That one seems to have disappeared into the void too.
Can we be hopeful, that the kid and his family got a massive settlement, with added shut-up incentive ?
Old 06-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #878
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Can we be hopeful, that the kid and his family got a massive settlement, with added shut-up incentive ?
No. No!

First of all that is taxpayer hush-money, and second of all, and most importantly, this is the kind of behaviour that has led to America's current predicament.

"Lack of Accountability."

Its not fixing the problem. Its putting duct-tape on the gaping gash on the Titanic and hoping nobody notices. If you do this enough eventually people are going to notice that the ship is still sinking.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #879
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Why not post this more recent article, as the one Oling shared, was last updated Tuesday, June 9, 2020
https://globalnews.ca/news/7051687/c...n-woman-video/

Updated June 10th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
What was left out? It's a video of the incident with enough for me to make my own judgement on how ridiculous those thugs are. I mean the only new information seems to suggest that the police went there to make sure no one was being assualted.

Calgary police: "I heard someone might be getting assaulted...we came to join in."
There is body cam footage of the entire event, not just a potentially edited cell phone video of the event. Apparently there is enough evidence on the body cam for the crown to feel confident in getting a conviction for assault on a police officer and intent to resist arrest, I'm sure her saying that she will stop resisting won't help her there. Her claim that the charges were unknown or a surprise is pretty funny considering how the police can provide the exact date they served her with the summons. You also left out how there were threats made that were audible to the 911 dispatcher, which would probably be more than enough cause for police to enter the home.

I'm sure waiting until now to go to the media has absolutely nothing to do with trying to capitalize on current events and influence her own pending court date.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #880
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is body cam footage of the entire event, not just a potentially edited cell phone video of the event.
"Potentially edited" No one has claimed that. Such a copout (lol).
Quote:
Apparently there is enough evidence on the body cam for the crown to feel confident in getting a conviction for assault on a police officer and intent to resist arrest
Ah yes, the crown working with the police on trumped up charges has never happened before. The good ol' "we're arresting you for resisting arrest" excuse.
Quote:
I'm sure her saying that she will stop resisting won't help her there.
She's being beaten and cops kneeling on her neck (sort of a big deal right now...) of course she's going to say that regardless. She doesn't want to ####ing die.

Quote:
Her claim that the charges were unknown or a surprise is pretty funny considering how the police can provide the exact date they served her with the summons.
They're looking into it to see if coronavirus caused an issue.
Quote:
You also left out how there were threats made that were audible to the 911 dispatcher, which would probably be more than enough cause for police to enter the home.
"Threats" a hyperbole of a dad getting mad his son took out his car without permission. Of course, the police going there is now to make sure the kid is alright...and they storm by the kid, tell him to leave so they can go into some sleeping woman's room. Creepy.

Quote:
I'm sure waiting until now to go to the media has absolutely nothing to do with trying to capitalize on current events and influence her own pending court date.
She didn't even know about a court date lol. But yeah,this seems like a perfect time to bring up police brutality.

I can't imagine the cognitive dissonance required to not watch that video and see this as a huge problem.

This person called 911 to report her vehicle was stolen. 1:30 some thugs broke into her house and assaulted her. And you're making her out to be the bad person? Come on man, pick a better fight than this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post: