Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #621
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was some chatter about this case a few weeks back where a citizen claimed she was harassed and targeted for being a visible minority.

Official apology was released: https://www.facebook.com/sunday.a.om...98?pnref=story
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #622
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
There was some chatter about this case a few weeks back where a citizen claimed she was harassed and targeted for being a visible minority.

Official apology was released: https://www.facebook.com/sunday.a.om...98?pnref=story
Not unexpected given the way the police were pretty giddy to let everyone know there was video of the incident.

In any case, and maybe it's as I've become more cynical as I aged, I feel like not long ago the police would have been given the benefit of the doubt and most people wouldn't have believed the initial post (unless the post is CalgaryBlood ). But the way CPS has presented itself in recent years (or maybe that's just because there's more video available), has seemed to shift the bias and a lot more people are willing to take these stories at face value.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #623
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

for those of you who didn't click the link, the apology is from the citizen to the constable and not an apology from the police.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #624
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
for those of you who didn't click the link, the apology is from the citizen to the constable and not an apology from the police.
Quote:
Sunday Omony
12 hrs ·
I would like to take this opportunity to share my sincere regrets for how my allegations and actions over the past month may have affected Constable Sheldon Hamm. On February 23 and March 4, I published an account of a traffic stop and accusations against the police officer who stopped me, Constable Hamm. The account I published was posted on my personal social media accounts where I shared my own personal emotional reaction to the incident. My account of the incident was unfair to Constable Hamm as it was a one-sided perception and was not accurate as it was written before I had the benefit of looking at the episode recording on March 13. Having watched the recording, it is clear that Constable Hamm didn't shout or scream at me as I had alleged. In fact, the recording of the event didn't match up at all with how I perceived it and what I wrote about it. I retract every allegation I made about Constable Hamm's conduct, as they are simply not accurate.
Experiences often shape our perception of how we are treated in certain situations especially those unfamiliar to us. I have never been stopped by the Police. When I was stopped and questioned about whether I had a valid Canadian Registered Licence or if I had Marijuana in my possession it struck a cord of unfairness which I reacted in my social media post. However, perceptions are not facts. My own personal emotional reaction to the incident was unfairly posted on my personal social media accounts. To be clear, I withdraw my statements. After having many in-depth conversations about the incident, I am responsible in withdrawing my statements. I regret any inconvenience that may have been caused to Constable Hamm and The Calgary Police Service. For these reasons, it is fair to apologize for my posts and for any possible stress caused to Constable Hamm. I greatly appreciate and respect Constable Hamm's peaceful and fair approach in resolving this matter. I look forward to using this experience as an opportunity to grow my knowledge and understanding of the things that can continue to make Calgary the great city that it is.
see fair to post it no?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #625
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Not unexpected given the way the police were pretty giddy to let everyone know there was video of the incident.

In any case, and maybe it's as I've become more cynical as I aged, I feel like not long ago the police would have been given the benefit of the doubt and most people wouldn't have believed the initial post (unless the post is CalgaryBlood ). But the way CPS has presented itself in recent years (or maybe that's just because there's more video available), has seemed to shift the bias and a lot more people are willing to take these stories at face value.
Everyone makes mistakes, there are good and bad people, and I think the police are largely the same and the increase in video availability is the difference. People get typically quite angry and defensive when they get pulled over and you can understand that the typical officer has to deal with this on a daily basis so you aren't going to get much in the way of compassion or sympathy from them. As that lady says she got quite emotional and combined with anger and defensive behavior it's a bad mix that can bring out the worst in people.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #626
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you mean if what he says is true, he should file a complaint. don't go off on the police and myself when you don't know the story. none of us do.
not saying I refuse to ever find fault in the actions of police, but to be blunt I don't feel the OP is telling the whole truth. (not that he has to, on a hockey message board)

how do you know the OP was telling the complete truth? maybe he was bending the story a bit to make himself the victim. maybe it is the unvarnished truth.

all we know is the OP admits to driving like a jerk and cutting the cop off. anything else is idle speculation. from you and me. I think you're way off the mark in this case of accusing me of blind devotion to the police.
Yes.

I mean, we don't know if he even got a ticket, or if he was even driving or got pulled over or that he even cut anyone off.

My response to your post was assuming that the officer brake-checked the guy complaining.

But then, so did your response which I was critical of.

Your exact words which I quoted:

Quote:
I guess I feel like you deserve the ticket for getting all mad and aggressive and intentionally cutting off a car, and maybe you were tailgating to begin with, leading to him braking on you
You literally assumed it was true that the police officer in the story braked on the car behind him and offered as an apparent explanation that would make this understandable the possibility the officer was being tailgated.

That would make the (possibly fictional) police officer a lawbreaking menace to public safety with apparently the same lack of self-control as the guy who then cut him off (possibly fictionally).

My post stands. Interpreting this (possibly fictional) story as one in which a police officer "braking on" a tailgating motorist is anything but illegal and reprehensible amounts to an astonishing willingness to blindly support police.

If you don't believe the OP just say so. Don't suggest a police officer braking on a tailgater instead of pulling him over safely for tailgating is somehow what the tailgater had coming to him.

You do know that braking on a car following you too close is very dangerous and illegal right? Even if you are carrying a badge?
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 01:03 PM   #627
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think everyone who is questioning the story are saying some variation of "we don't believe your side of the story, Calgaryblood - your posting history have given us a preconceived notion of what happened."
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
V
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #628
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
I think everyone who is questioning the story are saying some variation of "we don't believe your side of the story, Calgaryblood - your posting history have given us a preconceived notion of what happened."
Oh shut up, my posting history has nothing to do with this and I've never been in trouble with the law or showed disrespect to an officer. Me being nice was probably the only reason I wasn't towed.

People only want to believe the story of me being a dick (a story told by me btw) and then dismiss that the officer could have possibly brake checked me.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #629
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Yes.

I mean, we don't know if he even got a ticket, or if he was even driving or got pulled over or that he even cut anyone off.

My response to your post was assuming that the officer brake-checked the guy complaining.

But then, so did your response which I was critical of.

Your exact words which I quoted:

You literally assumed it was true that the police officer in the story braked on the car behind him and offered as an apparent explanation that would make this understandable the possibility the officer was being tailgated.

That would make the (possibly fictional) police officer a lawbreaking menace to public safety with apparently the same lack of self-control as the guy who then cut him off (possibly fictionally).

My post stands. Interpreting this (possibly fictional) story as one in which a police officer "braking on" a tailgating motorist is anything but illegal and reprehensible amounts to an astonishing willingness to blindly support police.

If you don't believe the OP just say so. Don't suggest a police officer braking on a tailgater instead of pulling him over safely for tailgating is somehow what the tailgater had coming to him.

You do know that braking on a car following you too close is very dangerous and illegal right? Even if you are carrying a badge?
you're right. it wasn't my intent.
I will say that your profession seemed to bleed into your responses a bit so I was taken aback by your passion in your replies and defense of the op.

So to be clear, I doubt the story of the op as I think like many people he may have the tendency to shade a story to put himself in the most sympathetic light, especially as he came here just to complain about the cop. So in this case he may just have gotten what was coming to him.

and I still don't understand why he felt the need to cut someone off that he felt was driving poorly. what point does that prove?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #630
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Oh shut up, my posting history has nothing to do with this and I've never been in trouble with the law or showed disrespect to an officer. Me being nice was probably the only reason I wasn't towed.

People only want to believe the story of me being a dick (a story told by me btw) and then dismiss that the officer could have possibly brake checked me.
I wasn't attacking you, I was simply giving my view of why so many were questioning the story. I personally am on the fence as to what happened, not questioning you.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #631
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Your posting history is all we have to base our perception of you on. You do come across as emotional with the tendency to think that your view is the only correct one.

I find it interesting that in your original post there was no mention of a brake check, just that the cop was going 80 in the right lane. For me your posting history along with that fact make it seem like the event didn't happen exactly as you are posting here.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #632
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sunday Onomy is a friend of mine. I'm was suprised to see her remarks, for sure. The apology is sincere. She's a good person.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #633
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Your posting history is all we have to base our perception of you on. You do come across as emotional with the tendency to think that your view is the only correct one.

I find it interesting that in your original post there was no mention of a brake check, just that the cop was going 80 in the right lane. For me your posting history along with that fact make it seem like the event didn't happen exactly as you are posting here.
Might want to read that original post again because I definitely did mention the brake check, it was actually the point of my post.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #634
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post

Post 582, it's in his first sentence that he was brake checked.

With all my dealings of CPS of 33 years in Calgary, I believe him 100%.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #635
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Sunday Onomy is a friend of mine. I'm was suprised to see her remarks, for sure. The apology is sincere. She's a good person.
Except when she's defaming an officer of being racist.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #636
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Might want to read that original post again because I definitely did mention the brake check, it was actually the point of my post.
Sorry I missed that. I have a little less doubt about your story now if that is any consolation.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:41 PM   #637
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Except when she's defaming an officer of being racist.
She has issued a "public" apology.

Do we no longer accept apologies?

Quote:
Old 04-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #638
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I guess it depends on the severity of what you're apologizing for. Some accusations have lasting effects even after being cleared - an apology on facebook that not everyone might see may not satisfy everyone.

My worry is that she apologized because the truth was on camera not because she came clean. What if it wasn't on film? Would these claims against the CPS still be going forward?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #639
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I guess it depends on the severity of what you're apologizing for. Some accusations have lasting effects even after being cleared - an apology on facebook that not everyone might see may not satisfy everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a two way street I suppose. If she was a white woman that made racist remarks towards a minority I'm not so sure that many people would be quick to accept her apology.
TO be clear I have no skin in this game.

Hence my quotation marks.

It would be nice if a news outlet picked it up.

But at least she had the "balls" to apologize and you must have thought it was worth posting Coys

Quote:

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 04-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:45 PM   #640
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

It's a two way street I suppose. If she was a white woman that made racist remarks towards a minority I'm not so sure that many people would be quick to accept her apology.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote