Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Too early to panic about Markstrom

Markstrom hasn't had strong starts but has finished 2-0. Vladar took the loss with 40 minutes and allowing the winning goal last night.

Lots of external talk about what to do. I think he just needs a little time to get rolling and get the confidence back.

https://calgaryhockeynow.com/calgary...darryl-sutter/
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

His confidence has taken a hit. It might not have been a bad idea to play him against the Oilers in hindsight. A good outing there might have taken a huge step in rebuilding that confidence.

Hopefully with the defense core fully healthy in front of him and the continuation of the home stand he gets a chance to work out his issues.

Wouldn’t have been bad to have a small road trip here though. All issues get magnified playing at home.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

obviously, he has allowed one bad goal this season
Old 10-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I wonder about his focus at the start of games. He seems off and it sometimes takes a bad goal for him to get his focus on track.

Last edited by Dion; 10-21-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #5
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh Steve, I thought you knew CP well...

Early panic is exactly what we do around here lol
I'm waiting to see who and when the Brad Treliving must go thread get bumped up this season.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
His confidence has taken a hit. It might not have been a bad idea to play him against the Oilers in hindsight. A good outing there might have taken a huge step in rebuilding that confidence.

Hopefully with the defense core fully healthy in front of him and the continuation of the home stand he gets a chance to work out his issues.

Wouldn’t have been bad to have a small road trip here though. All issues get magnified playing at home.
they got the win . I have no regrets . Markstrom will get his shot against the Oilers but I liked the move . kind of a rug pull of sorts on an opponent that thought they could continue to score at will and just pick up where they left off . vladar had the better camp and impressed the coach so he earned an early start . against markys Achilles heel? makes sense to me if were trying to win early
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:40 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #8
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Google Kiprusoffs October stats and compare them to his final stats/other months, for every season 05-06 and after, and lets see who is still panicking.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #9
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Sutter plays his strugglers until they aren't. He does this holding said player accountable which is fair.

When these guys don't grab control and right their game it's 100% on them as it ought to be.

Markstrom can figure this out but I wonder how much actual rope he gets to figure it out.

It's crappy however having to hang those horns on just 1 player when the whole team was awol
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever someone tells me not to panic…
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #11
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact Marky was brutal to end the playoffs last year will carry over for many fans when he plays like crap this year. I am not worried yet but hoping to see some better play coming up soon.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #12
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alternatively,
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 03:28 PM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
obviously, he has allowed one bad goal this season
Probably true. But you also need your goalie to "rob" the other side sometimes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #14
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From my seat, he isn't tracking the puck as well. That seems like a focus thing. It tends to be early in games when nerves are more natural. He sort of settles in.

He talks a good game about being even keeled but he is a very proud player so I think it's a bit of a mental battle right now. Nothing that can't be worked through.
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 03:52 PM   #15
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever, I keep saying that Markstrom only looks good when the team in front of him plays great. Otherwise, he's just an overpaid average goalie. Markstrom is OK but he's no Kipper. I wish Sutter would play Vladar more.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 03:54 PM   #16
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At this point no panic but it is concerning. He looked awesome in the 2 preseason games I attended but first 3 games he seems to really lack focus early. Also in my view, he gives up a weak/"soft" one a game, he needs to figure that out.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #17
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hopefully that brutal Edmonton series didn't break Marky. Main goal has to be to help him get his confidence back, whatever that looks like. Hopefully Sutter knows.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:24 PM   #18
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
At this point no panic but it is concerning. He looked awesome in the 2 preseason games I attended but first 3 games he seems to really lack focus early. Also in my view, he gives up a weak/"soft" one a game, he needs to figure that out.

As you know, I am uncertain about Markstrom...nothing to do with his performance as a Flame but everything to do with his tenure with the Canucks. The way I see it is that for the most part, the "system" of goaltending in the NHL has to be pretty consistent from team to team. Within reason the coaching is probably similar, training programs similar...etc. The thing that I don't like is that the Canucks saw something (or numerous things) in Markstrom to let him go. Maybe low glove, maybe this., that, the other thing. Fact is they let him go. As I have mentioned before, I like Vladar, he is young, cheap and moves like a cat. He is my starter.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #19
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
As you know, I am uncertain about Markstrom...nothing to do with his performance as a Flame but everything to do with his tenure with the Canucks. The way I see it is that for the most part, the "system" of goaltending in the NHL has to be pretty consistent from team to team. Within reason the coaching is probably similar, training programs similar...etc. The thing that I don't like is that the Canucks saw something (or numerous things) in Markstrom to let him go. Maybe low glove, maybe this., that, the other thing. Fact is they let him go. As I have mentioned before, I like Vladar, he is young, cheap and moves like a cat. He is my starter.
Did the Canucks not make an offer to keep him though and his camp felt it was a lowball offer? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, IDK.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #20
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
Did the Canucks not make an offer to keep him though and his camp felt it was a lowball offer? Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, IDK.

To be honest, I'm not sure on this either, could be. Again...they let him walk, if you look at the Canucks history of needing quality goal tending at the same level as the Flames and the Oilers..just does not feel right that they let him walk. Maybe we stole a Vezina guy...dunno.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yikes For This Useful Post: