Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2023, 11:03 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Yotes 4 Flames 3 (OT)

Yotes 4 Flames 3 (OT)

- Flames sloppy and unfocused
- Out shoot the Yotes, but don't generate enough by way of high danger
- Terrible overtime ends expectedly
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 11:04 PM   #2
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are so bad in overtime this year. Unable to maintain any type of possession, and terrible decisions without the puck.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:06 PM   #3
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

You only forgot
+9 in Calgary on Sunday.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:25 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Coyotes and their no name back end highlighted something for me that has been a recurring issue for this franchise.

This team was built from the defense out, adding Weegar only accentuates that. On paper, they have four guys who could be top paring defensemen, and a bottom pair that should be solid.

Yet the team just doesn’t get much mileage out of of them. Our defense doesn’t seem to make up for other flaws and against a fast opponent like the Oilers, they get exposed.

The D aren’t really the problem here but as a group, I also think they’re overrated. Good structure and a committed forward group, and you could get by with less.

It would also be cool to have a scoring threat back there. Rasmus is only one that really comes close.

Yeah I know they miss Kylington, but Flames are routinely playing teams dealing with multiple injuries to their D men.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2023, 11:27 PM   #5
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% agree with that. The team does not use the talent on D enough. They’ve got them playing like pluggers so they’re giving plugger results. Was never able to articulate exactly how they’re doing it.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:28 PM   #6
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everytime we go into a season with a loaded defence they suck it up.

Go into a season with questions and questionable depth and we look all world

Jaybo Regher Phanuef was the start of it.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 11:35 PM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Shot volume??? Too many low calorie shots that make the total misleading
Old 03-15-2023, 01:05 AM   #8
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Kadri has been a flat out disaster lately and perhaps should be put on a shift of popcorn duty

When possession is so key in OT, and so much ice 3 on 3, Mang simply can’t skate in to a turnover like that

No huge comment on the xG thing. It’s demonstrated itself. Same measurements for all teams, tracks fairly closely with shot totals. Reflects possession, for sure, and adjust based on things like shot position, and does not capture where the shot actually goes and what the goalie has to do. Once again, commentators note Markstrom has to do a lot due to breakdowns. That’s all from me on it, I promise
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 06:07 AM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say this has to be one of the worst OT teams I have ever seen. I do recall a season years back where the Flames struggled in OT to the point the head coach (Playfair?) put three defensemen on the ice to start OT but I think from a full season standpoint OT has been an unmitigated disaster this season. If they were even slightly below average in OT they may be in a playoff position today. Playing players like Tanev and Mangiapane (one of the most ice cold forwards in the league) on the ice in a crucial OT game makes you scratch your head.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 06:18 AM   #10
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Playing not to lose is for losers
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:53 AM   #11
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

With the extra space, teams have to put out players that can skate. OT games are usually one when one team outmaneuvers the other, and if you can't keep up, you're burned.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:25 AM   #12
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Coyotes and their no name back end highlighted something for me that has been a recurring issue for this franchise.

This team was built from the defense out, adding Weegar only accentuates that. On paper, they have four guys who could be top paring defensemen, and a bottom pair that should be solid.

Yet the team just doesn’t get much mileage out of of them. Our defense doesn’t seem to make up for other flaws and against a fast opponent like the Oilers, they get exposed.

The D aren’t really the problem here but as a group, I also think they’re overrated. Good structure and a committed forward group, and you could get by with less.

It would also be cool to have a scoring threat back there. Rasmus is only one that really comes close.

Yeah I know they miss Kylington, but Flames are routinely playing teams dealing with multiple injuries to their D men.
The Flames already have that. Weegar put up 0.6 PPG and received Norris consideration in both of the last two seasons. He was fantastic at rushing the puck and jumping up into the play in Florida.

Yet, the Flames have a $6M, two-way, top-pairing defenseman that only averages 20 mins a game, isn't active in the offensive zone, and doesn't receive any time on the PP. Weegar also sees less PK time than he did in Florida.

Sutter's roster deployment has egregiously poor for all of the new players.

It hurts my brain that Sutter has decided to turn one of the best playmakers in the league into a grinder, and a mobile, two-way defenseman into a shutdown, defensive dman
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 08:29 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure Weegar's offensive production in Florida wasn't a product of their run and gun style of play and not offensive skill. He's not looked good this season when used in an offensive role on the point as he can't get shots through to the net. He has this keen skill of hitting defenders with nearly all his shots. He seems to hold off shooting to the last second when all the holes to the net are closed and then he shoots the puck.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 09:06 AM   #14
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not sure Weegar's offensive production in Florida wasn't a product of their run and gun style of play and not offensive skill. He's not looked good this season when used in an offensive role on the point as he can't get shots through to the net. He has this keen skill of hitting defenders with nearly all his shots. He seems to hold off shooting to the last second when all the holes to the net are closed and then he shoots the puck.
Yeah I don't see the offence.

Nor do I really see a coach that's keeping him from doing what he needs to do offensively.

The Flames pinch all the time. Andersson gets involved with the forecheck here and there!

I think it's going from the only team that didn't care about defense and to a team with struggling forwards more than anything else.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 09:24 AM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri is definitely the new shipping boy, maybe taking some pressure off Huberdeau who has looked better lately.

Huberdeau was largely invisible for long stretches of the season. Kadri is worse than that at the moment, he keeps hurting the team.

IIRC Leaf fans ran very hot and cold with him.
Old 03-15-2023, 09:27 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
The Flames already have that. Weegar put up 0.6 PPG and received Norris consideration in both of the last two seasons. He was fantastic at rushing the puck and jumping up into the play in Florida.

Yet, the Flames have a $6M, two-way, top-pairing defenseman that only averages 20 mins a game, isn't active in the offensive zone, and doesn't receive any time on the PP. Weegar also sees less PK time than he did in Florida.

Sutter's roster deployment has egregiously poor for all of the new players.

It hurts my brain that Sutter has decided to turn one of the best playmakers in the league into a grinder, and a mobile, two-way defenseman into a shutdown, defensive dman
Maybe he deserves more PK time. IDK. My guess is that Calgary's PK is better than Florida's ever was.

On the PP Weegar looks useless IMO.

Weegar has been fine but I don't think the coach has shut down his offense.
Old 03-15-2023, 10:31 AM   #17
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

1 team fails to make the playoffs, another fails to tank for a generational player.

Hell yeah
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 01:26 PM   #18
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Toffoli makes a half-hearted attempt at defending the goal scorer on the first goal and gets demoted to the 4th line for the rest of the period. How does no one on the SN team notice this?

Giveaways from two veterans, Khadri and Mangiapane leads to the Coyotes next two goals - you would think that a veteran-laden team coached by Sutter who loves vets, would be better at managing the puck.

Love the kid and he's going to be a beaut but that goal in OT was on Pelletier for double-teaming Kahdri's man. If there was more runway left in the schedule, I'd say he could use a game off as his decision making of late seems to be noticably poor.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote