Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #241
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I suspect that Lucic and Rooney could each play 20 games in the AHL and not get as many points as Phillips. The Flames 4th line is probably the worst 4th line in NHL hockey so not a stretch to think guys on that line would likely have to play at an ECHL level to actually score goals….amazing comments, I am sure the kid could produce in the NHL. One more sleep and fans can enjoy some more exciting Flames NHL hockey.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:22 PM   #242
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe it is that the Coach and the GM are on different train tracks.

If so, that can't be good.
Old 12-03-2022, 02:48 AM   #243
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
not nhl material
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 05:21 AM   #244
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I suspect that Lucic and Rooney could each play 20 games in the AHL and not get as many points as Phillips. The Flames 4th line is probably the worst 4th line in NHL hockey so not a stretch to think guys on that line would likely have to play at an ECHL level to actually score goals….amazing comments, I am sure the kid could produce in the NHL. One more sleep and fans can enjoy some more exciting Flames NHL hockey.
Apples and oranges.

Not what they excel in anyway
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:40 AM   #245
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m at the point where I’m not really invested in the team any more and it’s largely because the Flames have all of 5 players on the roster that they’ve drafted and developed themselves. The rest are trades and FAs.

I know it’s not all their fault - some players don’t want to play in Calgary - but it does make it tougher to care about the team.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:32 AM   #246
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I’m at the point where I’m not really invested in the team any more and it’s largely because the Flames have all of 5 players on the roster that they’ve drafted and developed themselves. The rest are trades and FAs.

I know it’s not all their fault - some players don’t want to play in Calgary - but it does make it tougher to care about the team.
I'm less bothered by the drafted player percentage, but the team is built based on the demand to win now, every year, and it's really starting to show. Overpayments for free agents just to have one more kick... and it's just falling apart at this point because the team's draft capital is traded away.

Darryl's bias toward vets is going to leave this team pretty far out of any scoring race. 2 4th lines is not a good thing.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquatch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #247
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindtravellee View Post
Apples and oranges.

Not what they excel in anyway
if you can give me a heads up as to what Rooney and Lucic are currently excelling at I'll try to keep an eye out for it.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #248
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
if you can give me a heads up as to what Rooney and Lucic are currently excelling at I'll try to keep an eye out for it.
Obviously excelling at being great than 5"8 tall
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:55 AM   #249
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I hope he comes up, I honestly do.

I fear the push in social media and radio in Calgary will make it less likely, not more likely though. Sutter can be pretty stubborn, and I don't think he likes to be told what to do.

You can never cheer for injuries, but a minor one for three games for one of the middle six wingers would be well timed right now.

Because otherwise it comes down to six players ... Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube, Mangiapane, Ruzicka or Coleman.

Who comes out when healthy?

Don't see it.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #250
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

I fear the push in social media and radio in Calgary will make it less likely, not more likely though. Sutter can be pretty stubborn, and I don't think he likes to be told what to do.

You can never cheer for injuries, but a minor one for three games for one of the middle six wingers would be well timed right now.

Because otherwise it comes down to six players ... Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube, Mangiapane, Ruzicka or Coleman.

Don't see it.
Why is Dube unable to play on the 4th line. We have three guys on that line right now that at best maybe one of them deserves to be in the NHL. Just move Dube down to the 4th line. It is not like his 31 point pace is exactly setting the 2nd line on fire. And he has never really produced at a 2nd line level so it is not like moving Mangiapane.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:59 AM   #251
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Why is Dube unable to play on the 4th line. We have three guys on that line right now that at best maybe one of them deserves to be in the NHL. Just move Dube down to the 4th line. It is not like his 31 point pace is exactly setting the 2nd line on fire. And he has never really produced at a 2nd line level so it is not like moving Mangiapane.
Dube who has five points in his last six games is getting demoted?
Old 12-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #252
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dube who has five points in his last six games is getting demoted?
Or demote someone else. Your post presumes that nobody can be punted from the lineup from the 4th line. A 4th line that is probably the worst line in all of hockey, at least by stats like xGF%. But you had 6 guys as being the ones who had to be dropped from the lineup. I am saying punt one of the 4th liners from the lineup. Drop Coleman then, but it is not like Phillips is up and one of those 6 is out unless Sutter has really lose his mind.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #253
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The forwards have moved up and down the lineup all season. I’m sure not convinced that the top nine is written in stone.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #254
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d move Ruzicka down to the 4th line but in the center spot so he can begin to grow that part of his game at the NHL level and run a line. Lewis, Rooney and Lucic can share being the extra forward; I’d run with the following should Phillips be given a cup of coffee

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Dube - Mangiapane - Phillips
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Lucic - Ruzicka - Ritchie
Lewis, Rooney

Re-unite Mangi with the duo he played most with when he put up 35 goals with last year, give Phillips a chance to play with a high end center and Dube who plays a heavy game down low.

I get what Bingo is saying in that the flames brass might be harder pressed to give him a look if they feel they’re being coerced in a way by the media and fans to make a decision on the roster but really to me, the one who holds his destiny and chance in his hands is Phillips himself. He needs to keep his foot on the gas and bash the door down, if he puts up a December that’s similar to his November production I think they’ll be hard pressed not to give him a look.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #255
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The forwards have moved up and down the lineup all season. I’m sure not convinced that the top nine is written in stone.
Stonehands Lucic even got a tour of duty with the top guys.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #256
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Or demote someone else. Your post presumes that nobody can be punted from the lineup from the 4th line. A 4th line that is probably the worst line in all of hockey, at least by stats like xGF%. But you had 6 guys as being the ones who had to be dropped from the lineup. I am saying punt one of the 4th liners from the lineup. Drop Coleman then, but it is not like Phillips is up and one of those 6 is out unless Sutter has really lose his mind.
No my post suggests the six wingers at the top of the roster are unlikely to be moved down.

Huge difference.

Not saying any of the fourth line guys is a must to stay in the lineup at all.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #257
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
That's not what I'm saying.

Moving around players in the top nine isn't the same as healthy scratching one or sending them to the fourth line.

Coleman and Dube have both been punished that way, but whose the guy that gets punished now?

Ruzicka was pretty spotty but very good against Montreal.
Dube and Mangiapane have gotten back on track somewhat of late.
Huberdeau and Toffoli aren't heading to the fourth line.

Just saying it's not that easy to see a spot for him right now.

Don't think what I'm saying is all that controversial.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:25 AM   #258
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying.

Moving around players in the top nine isn't the same as healthy scratching one or sending them to the fourth line.

Coleman and Dube have both been punished that way, but whose the guy that gets punished now?

Ruzicka was pretty spotty but very good against Montreal.
Dube and Mangiapane have gotten back on track somewhat of late.
Huberdeau and Toffoli aren't heading to the fourth line.

Just saying it's not that easy to see a spot for him right now.

Don't think what I'm saying is all that controversial.
They could scratch or waive Coleman right now. He is arguably more useless than anyone on line 4, except maybe Lewis. Lucic can hit (if he decides to try) and Ritchie is putting in a few. Coleman however hasn’t really been doing anything. Not hitting, not skating / working, just generally nothing. He has a very large salary too so if he gets picked up on waivers it’s honestly a win. There is zero doubt Phillips is a better option than Coleman. So he is the guy I would target. Maybe Rooney could be waived too.

Then if you must you put Phillips where Dube is and slide Dube to fill Coleman’s spot.

Also wasn’t Sutter the one who came in and said this is merit based? No one is entitled to play in the NHL?

Wow- sure doesn’t look like it.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 12-03-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #259
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Don't see it.
My take is that the only way Phillips gets a chance is injury or the rancher gets canned. Irony is that Phillips is more or less the same size as JG and Sutter gushed all over that "undersized player" all of last season.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #260
Backstop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question is how much benefit do we see from having a 4th line of strong like bull, smart like truck guys in todays faster game vs a 4th line of young energy guys from the farm. 4th line gets hemmed in more often than not lately it seems, would Pelletier Ruzika Phillips be a better or worse option?
Backstop is offline   Reply With Quote