Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2022, 04:42 PM   #461
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering Markstrom himself talked about how much he sucks right now after letting in "only 2 goals" speaks volumes of just how much those 2 goals were on him, even in his own eyes.

Even if you want to rid him of yesterday's 2 goals against for whatever weird reason, he has arguably been the worst goalie in the NHL this season.

The Flames have other issues right now, yes, but Markstrom's play is by far the biggest issue, and I would assume is leading directly into their confidence issues with the puck on their stick.

Man sucks right now. We know it. He knows it.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:55 PM   #462
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup . even in his own assessment he has not done well enough

who's going to argue with that? oddly, some here

team only goes as far as its goalie .. he's the most important player . i don't buy into the offense taking a higher rung on the hierarchy of importance for positions .. that's e=ng thinking

i think the defense has been good enough (not great but good enough) to make the goalies job doable too .. although strangely the panthers win was the recent exception to that
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:12 PM   #463
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vladar blames himself in losses too that are mostly not his fault if at all

its part of being a competitor
Markstrom has been at fault this year for sure but last night he isn't very high on my list

Are we really blaming him for making someone take a 2 min penalty? 1. Don't be stupid 2. Kill it off

As for the first goal I'm not sure how you leave a guy (one of the slowest guys, sorry Mony) that much ice 13 seconds a game for basically a breakaway pass. (welcome back gift?) He was actually right to make a play on the puck just the slide was the dumb part.

Bottom line is some guys need to step up and score some goals...hopefully starts tomorrow no matter who the goalie is
Old 12-02-2022, 05:46 PM   #464
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suck at hockey right now is inaccurate he sucks at hockey since May 2022.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #465
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Right up the middle

He thwarted the puck carrier who didn't even get a shot on goal.
I cannot believe you posted this picture with the intent of defending Markstrom's decision.

And no, it really isn't 'right up the middle'. It started in the middle, but by the time Monahan would have had the puck and was preparing to shot, he would have been somewhere inside the circle and shooting from something near a 45 degree angle - easy save for a goalie, just cut off the angle.

I fully agree that Andersson played it terribly, and the play should have, and would have been on Andersson's shoulders, had Markstrom not completely destroyed it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #466
Steve Macfarlane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here's what I think happens next.

https://www.calgaryhockeynow.com/202...ina-form-again
Steve Macfarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Macfarlane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #467
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I cannot believe you posted this picture with the intent of defending Markstrom's decision.

And no, it really isn't 'right up the middle'. It started in the middle, but by the time Monahan would have had the puck and was preparing to shot, he would have been somewhere inside the circle and shooting from something near a 45 degree angle - easy save for a goalie, just cut off the angle.

I fully agree that Andersson played it terribly, and the play should have, and would have been on Andersson's shoulders, had Markstrom not completely destroyed it.
Yeah unfortunately having your goalie on his knees at the blueline is never a good thing. Leaving a wide open net for 5+ seconds with the puck in your zone.

I'd have preferred he take his chances on Monahan who I don't believe would have had the space to make any kind of move.

Not absolving the D of anything in saying that either.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:35 PM   #468
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right up the middle

He thwarted the puck carrier who didn't even get a shot on goal.
How did this happen 10 seconds into a game anyway? They barely gave up a 5 on 5 chance in the next 59:50
Old 12-02-2022, 09:49 PM   #469
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
How did this happen 10 seconds into a game anyway? They barely gave up a 5 on 5 chance in the next 59:50
Go back two seconds and see Kadri make a soft play in the neutral zone to get your answer.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:33 PM   #470
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The D aren't in the right position either...slowest guy on the ice is behind them somehow

Comedy of errors
Old 12-02-2022, 10:47 PM   #471
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
13 seconds into a game and the defense is so wide that they give up a loose puck breakaway down the center of the ice to a guy with two hip surgeries and you're looking to blame it on the goaltender?
Sure. Because chances are if he'd just stayed in his damn net he would have made the save anyway and the defence would have had time to recover.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:55 PM   #472
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

to be fair the goalie did make a bad play too...he won the race to the puck...it was the slide that make zero sense. Worst case cover the puck, delay of game? big deal 2 min penalty.
Old 12-02-2022, 11:34 PM   #473
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Worst case cover the puck, delay of game? big deal 2 min penalty.
And in most cases the ref will give you a warning just like for knocking the net off. Unless it's completely unnecessary and nobody is around you.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #474
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Considering Markstrom himself talked about how much he sucks right now after letting in "only 2 goals" speaks volumes of just how much those 2 goals were on him, even in his own eyes.

Even if you want to rid him of yesterday's 2 goals against for whatever weird reason, he has arguably been the worst goalie in the NHL this season.

The Flames have other issues right now, yes, but Markstrom's play is by far the biggest issue, and I would assume is leading directly into their confidence issues with the puck on their stick.

Man sucks right now. We know it. He knows it.
Well a good dude throwing himself under the bus isn't the gospel.

I'm personally glad he wants to find his fault in all goals against, it's a nice change! But that doesn't mean his opinion is the authority on things.

Maybe one of the most disappointing goalies in hockey with the expectations, but stats don't back up worst.

If you adjust the games played level to get 32 goaltenders (starter list) he's 20th in all situations goals allowed above average.

That's not Markstrom and needs to improve.

The bottom?!

31. Jack Campbell
32. Thatcher Demko
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #475
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

A player skating straight towards a puck that's between the hash marks isn't in the middle?

I've been pretty clear. I don't like the move to come out. But the play was already blown, which was my point.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #476
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Sure. Because chances are if he'd just stayed in his damn net he would have made the save anyway and the defence would have had time to recover.
So the goalie that the hive thinks sucks would have stopped a breakaway 13 seconds into the game off the literal player the game is about when he's had a recent history of letting in early goals?

Really?
Old 12-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #477
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how things might have turned out if Vlader started the 2nd game against the Oilers. Which he should have..
Old 12-03-2022, 12:14 PM   #478
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have to believe that Markstrom’s confidence is at an all time low. He didn’t think he could make a save on a breakaway chance, so he foolishly leaves his net to chase down a puck that clearly wasn’t a 50-50.

If he has to bail out and slide to ensure that there’s no play on the puck, then he’s left himself extremely vulnerable for a possible second opportunity which is exactly what happened. That’s why goalies probably shouldn’t leave their net unless they’re 100% confident that they can make a comfortable play with their stick.

If this is the game that ensures Vladar starts playing more, then I guess it was a well worthy sacrifice because surely Darryl’s trust in Markstrom has to have wavered by now.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #479
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I wonder how things might have turned out if Vlader started the 2nd game against the Oilers. Which he should have..
maybe they don't spiral
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #480
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we need to get Markstrom going, but last 5 games and season sv%

Marsktrom (.889)

Vladar (.913)
.808 (over a month ago)

Need to get some wins here before we fall behind. Vladar should get a 3 or 4 game run here.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote