Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Rogers Sportsnet Hockey + Flames coverage

Not a typical thread that has been discussed already but a link to an article regarding the coverage, changes and some internal decisions that involved out beloved Flames.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle26693223/

A few items of note that I found interesting

A) Appears that Rogers Sportsnet is happy but under a lot of pressure to make this adventure profitable.

B) Interesting to see the cancellation of the post game show on Saturday nights. I always found the format strange with all the hosts and analysts sitting around showing highlights of the night. With Rogers having multiple channels for highlights I would have suspected that HNIC would be more indepth or at least have a "After Hours" type segment as was the case with CBC.

I found the article interesting and the confirmation that Sportsnet placed the Flames/Ducks series on Sportsnet, as opposed to CBC on purpose infuriating.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #2
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

B) Interesting to see the cancellation of the post game show on Saturday nights. I always found the format strange with all the hosts and analysts sitting around showing highlights of the night. With Rogers having multiple channels for highlights I would have suspected that HNIC would be more indepth or at least have a "After Hours" type segment as was the case with CBC.
Sorry, looked the article a couple times...where does it say that has been pulled? It was very good last year because it allowed Hrudey and Kypreos and Friedman to act a little more casual and relaxed, and some good stories and tidbits came back from that, as opposed to framed in and having their 10-20 seconds to belt out their analysis between periods.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yeah the HNIC post game show is fine. Weeknight Hockey Central on Sportsnet was cancelled.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #4
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Sorry, looked the article a couple times...where does it say that has been pulled? It was very good last year because it allowed Hrudey and Kypreos and Friedman to act a little more casual and relaxed, and some good stories and tidbits came back from that, as opposed to framed in and having their 10-20 seconds to belt out their analysis between periods.

I may have been mistaken but in the article it talks about the cancellation of "Hockey Central" and discusses the post game show. Now I suspect they are referring to the Kypreos, Freidman etc.

Its around the middle of the article when the talk of budget cuts on the production side.

Its not that I didn't watch the post game show, its just the format wasn't great for me. I didn't like the whole sitting on red chairs, showing everybody your yellow mustard colored socks while reading from a Sportsnet labeled note card.

When CBC ran the "After Hours" show it would provide great programing on a teams player, coach or executive. I also liked the fact that it was usually a Western Canadian team too. Far too much Eastern programming for what is essentially 1 or 2 am EST time slot.

Just my $.02
Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just wish shaw would sell me centre ice already! Can't believe they don't have it up yet
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
At this point, the only noticeable effect of the budget restrictions will come after the evening’s NHL games. Sportsnet cancelled the late-night version of its hockey highlights show, Hockey Central. However, Moore said even though Sportsnet saved “a bit of money” with the cancellation, the reason for the move “was simply programming” because the show could not be fit into a consistent time slot because the NHL games do not end at the same time every night.
This is does not sound like a cut to the HNIC after show with Hrudey, Kypreos and Friedman.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 PM   #7
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps I am reading too much into this but if all that was cancelled was the late night highlights show after NHL games does this make sense?

For example if I want to see hockey highlights from the evenings games say around 11pm or 12 am MST. I would need to go to TSN? It would seem odd to cut out highlights of other NHL games at night.

I could perhaps see the "panel" or evening host of a broadcast combining highlights after the show instead of having a separate show, production crew and anchors etc.

To get rid of an after game highlights show because "NHL games don't end at the same time" seems strange. Its not like TSN or CBC wouldn't have had the same issue when they were broadcasting multiple games.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 PM   #8
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bring back the Scott Oake after hours interviews - those were always good!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bring back the 1hr replay versions of the games that CBC used to play upon completion of After Hours. Those were awesome to watch when I got home late after playing hockey. I really miss CBC being the actual holder of the HNIC rights.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #10
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps I am reading too much into this but if all that was cancelled was the late night highlights show after NHL games does this make sense?

For example if I want to see hockey highlights from the evenings games say around 11pm or 12 am MST. I would need to go to TSN? It would seem odd to cut out highlights of other NHL games at night.

I could perhaps see the "panel" or evening host of a broadcast combining highlights after the show instead of having a separate show, production crew and anchors etc.

To get rid of an after game highlights show because "NHL games don't end at the same time" seems strange. Its not like TSN or CBC wouldn't have had the same issue when they were broadcasting multiple games.
Yes you're sorta reading too much into it. After tonights game was Sportsnet Central, opening with hockey highlights of the Flames & Leafs. They did go onto baseball for a bit before showing the other 2 games but that should change once the Jays are out of it next week.

Hockey Central was all hockey.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think playing a replay of the games in the mornings like they used to would increase ratings overall as people would get a second opportunity, it's not like anyone watches 3 hours of sports central or whatever they call it now for 3 hours.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #12
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it just me or did advertisers mostly just recycle the same ads as last year? Scotiabank in particular.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Was it just me or did advertisers mostly just recycle the same ads as last year? Scotiabank in particular.

I thought they were richer than we think but those Scotiabank ads were on par with the crappy Tim's ads:

I can remember most of them because they kept showing it:
  • "Hockey is the 5th season Miss Wise"
  • "Dad, what number did you wear?"
  • "His nickname is glue" (can't find the clip)
  • "You can have my mouth guard bro"
Spoiler!
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:12 PM   #14
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scotiabank ads (hockey or not) are brutal, and have guaranteed I will never bank with them.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #15
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Scotiabank ads (hockey or not) are brutal, and have guaranteed I will never bank with them.
I dunno, those CIBC commercials with the penguins are really freakin pushin it for me.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #16
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just an update for those who are interested, it appears that the HNIC format for the post game show has changed.

On the program today there was a longer and more in-depth interview of various players who had played in Saturday nights games. Sutter from the Canucks, Lupul from the Leafs and Fisher from the Preds all discussed a variety of topics. Overall a good start in my opinion to a more informative post game show from a player perspective.

Bright coloured sock and red chairs remain from the host and panel
Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just an update for those who are interested, it appears that the HNIC format for the post game show has changed.

On the program today there was a longer and more in-depth interview of various players who had played in Saturday nights games. Sutter from the Canucks, Lupul from the Leafs and Fisher from the Preds all discussed a variety of topics. Overall a good start in my opinion to a more informative post game show from a player perspective.

Bright coloured sock and red chairs remain from the host and panel
That interview with Fisher was disgusting. One question from Principe about hockey, and 20 awestruck schoolgirl questions about Carrie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That interview with Fisher was disgusting. One question from Principe about hockey, and 20 awestruck schoolgirl questions about Carrie.

I agree 100% but then again it's the Edmonton Oilers Sportsnet crew so nothing is a shocker to me.

I like the format a little better overall though so hopefully the material improves as the season goes on.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
The line of questioning was brutal, but the intent is to get to know any the personalities irrespective of hockey. Unfortunately, he asked creepy questions: Famous wife and religion aren't necessarily riveting. Hobbies? Friends on the team? Childhood? Many other subjects
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #20
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another crappy article by Shoalts. Whenever he writes something about Sportsnet you need to take it with a grain of salt. Shoalts works for a company that is owned by the same people as TSN and every article tries to make Sportsnet out as losing money or trying to fix their broadcast because the Leafs are doing crappy.

Dave Shoalts is the dumber version of Darren Dreger.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote