Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #181
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I will place money on Logan Brown being taken before Nylander if Dubois and Tkachuk are gone at our pick. Calgary will be all over him.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #182
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
At #6, you simply don't pass up a highly skilled game changer in favour of a big for the sake of being big player. In fact, you never do that. The last thing I want right now is for this organization to go back to the Greg Nemisz/Kris Chucko/Eric Nystrom days.
Thing with this is you are no passing up highly skilled in favour of big - you are taking a guy who is big AND Highly skilled.

OHL:

Brown: GP: 59 G: 21 PTS: 74 PPG: 1.25
Nylander: GP: 57 G: 28 PTS: 75 PPG: 1.32

U18:

Brown: GP: 7 G: 3 PTS: 12 PPG: 1.7
Nylander: GP: 7 G: 3 PTS: 11 PPG: 1.57

I am no scout - and haven't watched these guys play a ton but from a pure statistics perspective they are pretty close. It's not like Brown is some under PPG grinder with no skill.

In the end Nylander is probably the better offensive gamebreaker but Brown is no slouch either.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #183
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alexander Nylander could be running the 2nd unit PP in two years. He's making guys fall down using his edges and his brain in these highlights.

No interest in passing on this kid to worship at the altar of 'size'.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #184
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One of Dubois/Tkachuk should be available, why can we not vote for them?
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #185
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brown seemed to figure out his game from January on. Final 24 games, 15 goals, 23 assists, plus a great U18
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #186
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
One of Dubois/Tkachuk should be available, why can we not vote for them?
OP makes it clear. It would be a boring landslide victory for either of them, so it's not worth including them in the poll.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #187
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem is, it doesn't much help you play a physical or heavy game if that beef is all on the 3rd and 4th lines, and the 3rd pairing defence.
I agree with this.

Quote:
You need size and power in the core, and in the lines that get the bulk of the ice time. The '89 Flames had McLellan, Paterson, and Niewendyk on the top two lines. At the time, those were big guys. Throw in Roberts (and the fact Gilmour and Mullen were both highly gritty players), and you had a team that could fight through checks and handle a rough game when its best players were on the ice.

So how can the Flames add size and a heavy game to their top two lines? They can trade or sign guys like Lucic and Okposo. But the price will be high. Very high. Or they can draft and develop them internally. Sure, you can take a few wild swings like the Hunter Smith pick. Low-odds gambles with later picks. Or you can draft for size with your high picks. That means putting a premium on guys like Logan Brown.
In today's NHL the third line is more of a second-2nd line in terms of both power play distribution and 5-on-5 ice time. It's very common for excellent teams to have one of their better offensive players on their 3rd line plus first power play, and one of their more average offensive players on their 1st line yet not on the power play. That's not just a Hartley thing, it's just the way the league is going. Among surviving teams, look at the talent on the third lines of teams like the Sharks, Penguins, Stars, Ducks by the end of this season. Names pop up like Marleau, Seguin, Perry, and Kessel.

Also it feels like you're operating off the base assumption that we're starting from total scratch with respect to size and more importantly a heavy game - that all our top 6 players are smaller.

And let's look at guys already in our system, even ignoring guys Smith and Grant who people are quick to write off:

6'2.5" eventually 210 lb Sean Monahan plays a game similar to Nieuwendyk. He may not play like he's huge, but he still has superior reach and physical maturity to slow the game down, and he's always around the net.

6'0.25" eventually 200 lb Sam Bennett plays arguably the heaviest cycle game on the Flames roster. He's absolutely a beast in the corners and has the skill to come out of corners looking to make a play. His game off the rush is actually his biggest weakness right now, not his offensive zone or defensive zone game.

6'3" eventually 215 lb Mark Jankowski looks like a top 6 type forward to me. He's just getting better and better at playing a heavy game using his skill and reach to make hard drives to the net. You almost see shades of a young LeCavalier or Spezza in his game, not to over-hype him though.

6'0" 200 lb Mikael Backlund has to be our most underrated heavy-playing forward. He'll never short-change you in compete and we've already seen him make pretty much every winger he's ever had into a top 6 forward. Maybe he doesn't have the advanced puck skills to make hard drives from outside to in with the puck, but he's more than willing to crash the net. Anyone who calls him "soft" is still living in 2011.

6'5" 225 lb Joe Colborne may not be a first liner, but the guy just completed a season putting up "2nd liner" production. He played the heaviest game of his career in the second half of this season. And while we're conditioned to think of him as non-physical, he does hit quite a bit. I may not like him all that much but even I'll reluctantly admit he showed signs of an effective player.

6'2" 210lb Micheal Ferland is still trying to find his shot at the NHL level but he can cycle the puck, carry the puck with speed, and has shown excellent vision. He's learning to beat NHL goaltenders and get his shots off quicker, but don't forget this is a guy with a mean wrister who threw up a 47 goal Junior season as a 19 year old, a guy who Flames brass have suggested can be a fifteen to twenty goal guy in this league. Outside of playing heavy on the puck he also plays a physical forechecking game.

6'3", 220 lb Daniel Prybyl is described as being a skilled forward. Once he gets his skating up to about a Sean Monahan level I think we'll see him up. But I don't think they signed him under the impression that he would be a bottom 6 forward.

Do we need more heavy, skilled players, especially for completing that first line? I would say more bullets in the chamber never hurt. But I'm also not convinced you draft for such a very specific need. That also ignores that guys like Shinkaruk and Frolik, while not the biggest guys, can cycle down low pretty effectively.

Systemically, Treliving is building a team that I envision as quick, heavy, and skilled. It's a slow process, you don't get there by passing up raw talent.

And sometimes you have to trade for a veteran to fill the most specific kind of needs, you can't build your entire team through the draft. How did the Bruins pick up Nathan Horton? They traded a less prime draft pick (15th overall) for him. That's how the Kings picked up Lucic last year. Heck the Panthers acquired Jagr trading a 2nd rounder for him. The Capitals traded Brouwer for TJ Oshie. The Ducks traded Bonino for Kesler. The Stars traded some spare parts for Spezza. The Preds traded Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen and Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg.

The best way to make trades is to have great talent to trade, and great talent to replace the position of strength that might have been traded for a position of weakness.

Also you mentioned Gilmour and Mullen, despite being undersized, were both highly gritty players. Well that's kind of what I see in Clayton Keller (actually, if you read some of his draft profiles, like this one or this onelook at who his stylistic comparision is) and Shinkaruk.

Now I'll finish that off with, I am totally cool with the Flames selecting Logan Brown as there seems to be some opinion that his ceiling is very high too and his draft year numbers are actually pretty encouraging. To me picking a high ceiling this high in the draft is first and foremost the priority. A medium ceiling is a waste of a top 6 pick because you're not drafting for next year, you're drafting for 3, 4, 5, 6 seasons down the line and you don't want to end up with a mere role player (a Frolik or such) as the fruits of one of the worst seasons in franchise history.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-02-2016 at 11:03 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #188
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I voted Nylander, but damn, Brown is intriguing. I wonder if converting him to RW would be a total waste.

Last edited by Spinach; 05-02-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #189
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Crossing my fingers for Dubois but after looking into Nylander some more I can live with him. Only two fewer goals than Tkachuk, not as many assists but London scored 100 more goals this year than Sauga did. Not small by any means either, another year of junior and he'd be ready to join the Flames in 2017
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #190
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Thing with this is you are no passing up highly skilled in favour of big - you are taking a guy who is big AND Highly skilled.

OHL:

Brown: GP: 59 G: 21 PTS: 74 PPG: 1.25
Nylander: GP: 57 G: 28 PTS: 75 PPG: 1.32

U18:

Brown: GP: 7 G: 3 PTS: 12 PPG: 1.7
Nylander: GP: 7 G: 3 PTS: 11 PPG: 1.57

I am no scout - and haven't watched these guys play a ton but from a pure statistics perspective they are pretty close. It's not like Brown is some under PPG grinder with no skill.

In the end Nylander is probably the better offensive gamebreaker but Brown is no slouch either.
The counter argument is that Nylander played on a weaker team that scored fewer goals.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #191
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think its pretty simple. If one of the Canucks or Oilers take a D, we take Tkachuk. If they both take forwards, we take Nylander. I think the two ledges are pretty set in stone, and Nylander is the last of that second ledge. This first round isn't strong enough for us to venture out and go off the board, I think its BPA and that is Nylander.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DomeFoam For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #192
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So for those who keep claiming Nylander is undersized, how come you did not say the same thing about Sam Bennett in his draft year?
Sam Bennett is slightly taller and plays a big man's game. He's gritty, determined, dirty at times. Bennett plays a very powerful style and will be bowling people over when he adds a bit more strength. Nylander plays a finesse style.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #193
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You're picking the kid that is going to be the best NHL player in five years, not right now. You're also picking a player you hope will be able to play the type of game your team needs to compete. In the west that means a heavy, grinding, physical game. I don't see Nylander surviving in the west. If the Flames draft him I will be surprised. There may not be guys as talented as Nylander available, but there are guys that are better prospects available, especially based on the Flames needs.
Let me guess, McLeod's going to be the next Nieuwendyk.

I picked Chychrun but the Flames may not think he's the best defenceman available. Sergachyov or Juolevi could easily be thought to be better.

If we go for a forward, Nylander, Jost or Brown could be our pick also. That's six players I'd consider in our wheelhouse and would be happy with.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #194
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
At #6, you simply don't pass up a highly skilled game changer in favour of a big for the sake of being big player. In fact, you never do that. The last thing I want right now is for this organization to go back to the Greg Nemisz/Kris Chucko/Eric Nystrom days.
Of course you wouldn't. But the choice isn't between taking an unskilled big player vs a super skilled average sized player. The choice is between taking a big skilled player vs an average size super skilled player.

There are a lot of very skilled big players at the top of the draft that won't go high just because of size. They're going to go high because of a combination of skill, size, strength and skating. There are complete packages at the top end of this draft. Nylander isn't one of them IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #195
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As long as a bulldog type RW is brought in for the first line, I could live with picking a skill guy. More so if he's a responsible skill guy. I'd be fine with Nylander. But Tkachuk and Dubois are probably ahead of him on Brad's list and I'd wager one is still there for the taking.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #196
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Do we need more heavy, skilled players, especially for completing that first line? I would say more bullets in the chamber never hurt. But I'm also not convinced you draft for such a very specific need. That also ignores that guys like Shinkaruk and Frolik, while not the biggest guys, can cycle down low pretty effectively.
We need more heavy skilled players for both the top two lines. Shinkaruk good at cycling? Ehh, he's a small guy who doesn't excel at the cycling game IMO. Frolik actually has some good size to him. Shinkaruk is definitely undersized and ideally would be surrounded by big, skilled players to make more room for him and do the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Systemically, Treliving is building a team that I envision as quick, heavy, and skilled. It's a slow process, you don't get there by passing up raw talent.
And you definitely don't get there by passing on skilled big players for skilled small players. The top 6 in a year with a good top end is a prime opportunity to get that rare blend of size, strength, skill and skating. I dunno why you would want to settle for a player who only has 2 of those 4 attributes when we could be drafting one who has all 4.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 05-02-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #197
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warren Rychel (owner GM) of the Windsor Spitfires was asked who of his draft eligible players would be most ready to play in the NHL next season. Out of Brown, Sergachyov and Stanley, he picked Sergachyov.

He's also after Keller to play for him next season.

This was on Hockey Central at Noon.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #198
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Of course you wouldn't. But the choice isn't between taking an unskilled big player vs a super skilled average sized player. The choice is between taking a big skilled player vs an average size super skilled player.

There are a lot of very skilled big players at the top of the draft that won't go high just because of size. They're going to go high because of a combination of skill, size, strength and skating. There are complete packages at the top end of this draft. Nylander isn't one of them IMO.
I see in the poll, you think we should take Chychrun. Putting Nylander aside, why do you think we should take him over not just the other forwards, but also as the first defenceman ahead of Juolevi and Sergachyov?
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #199
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would be really bummed if they took a dman so I went with Nylander.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #200
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The size issue isn't about height, it's about playing a harder game.

Monahan, Pribyl, Colborne and Backlund, regardless of their height, are not 'big' players. And it remains to be seen where Jankowski falls.

Bennett and Poirier play bigger (even though they're not). And Shinkaruk has shown more feistiness so far than I would have expected. Obviously we have Ferland, Bouma and Hathaway, though only Ferland has the potential for top 6, and that's far from certain.

There is no question that the Flames need more size and sandpaper in their top 6 / top 9.

The Flames may have the smallest/softest top 9 in the league right now. Nylander isn't what they need.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: