Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #21
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kid on my son's PeeWee team swung his stick (once) and not nearly as violently at what happened here. Hockey Calgary suspended him for 6 months. This has to be at least a year minumum and I'd be okay with a lifetime ban.

Regardless of how good he is I'm not sure any school would offer him a scholarship now. Or at least I hope that he will never get an offer.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
This makes it look much worse for the offending player. The player getting attacked didn't do a thing in that moment to deserve that.
No kidding. It's tough to tell, but it looks like the kid was shoved into the side of the net by an opposing player and fell to the ice. Then mr. lumberjack trips over him, gets up and starts whacking away.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #23
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This also happened during a spring 3 on 3 shinny game for novice players last year. My son was subbing that day and in the middle of the session some 7-8 year old went to another kid away form the play, cross checked him down to the ice and then a single chop to the helmet. Everyone was horrified what they just saw. Not even a real game. just shinny hockey. The father of the kid who did the chopping was actually on the bench and took his kid right into the dressing room for what I assume to be a massive scolding. Needless to say he was immediately banned from the rest of the games and organizer planned to perma-ban him. No idea if he had to face any discipline from Hockey Calgary.
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:31 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
?????

What more needs to be seen? No matter what happened before the incident you can’t have a kid who flies off the handle like this playing hockey. The only way more video helps is to inform his reform/counselling services, not his punishment. Banning him is a given.
Read what I said. What he did was unacceptable. But thankfully we don’t yet live in a world where keyboard warriors get to mete out justice based on 2 second video clips. Although it’s getting closer all the time. Maybe this is a pattern of behavior and his punishment needs to go well beyond hockey?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

heh... first thing that popped into my head (we are talking texas)... the best way to curb stick violence is by making sure more good guys have sticks!

that video was crazy - the dude definitely has a few issues to work thru
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #26
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I did that once when I was like 10. I can't remember what else was happening, but I got crosschecked in the face (though obviously I was wearing a cage). Not entirely sure why this moment made me blow up the way it did, but I wheeled around and brought the heel of my stick down right between his shoulder blades.

Refs didn't see it, but the benches did.

I can't remember if I played again that game, but my dad was supremely angry at me. Dead silent the whole car ride home, then when we got home he said if I ever did anything like that again, I'd never play organized sports at all.

I've never had anger issues as a child, teen, or adult. I've never had a similar act of spontaneous violence before or since, I have no idea why--in that moment--my ten-year-old brain decided that was the needed action.

Hockey Calgary never punished me, neither did my parents or the team. I have no idea how badly hurt the kid was (I remember him skating off under his own power) or even who he was. Hell, he might be a poster here.

This kid is definitely older than I was, but I think it's pretty wild people are calling for him to never play hockey again and making the instant judgment he needs counselling. Maybe that's warranted? But I dunno... I'd want to know a lot more information about the kid and the situation before any decisions were made.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #27
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
I did that once when I was like 10. I can't remember what else was happening, but I got crosschecked in the face (though obviously I was wearing a cage). Not entirely sure why this moment made me blow up the way it did, but I wheeled around and brought the heel of my stick down right between his shoulder blades.

I can't remember if I played again that game, but my dad was supremely angry at me. Dead silent the whole car ride home, then when we got home he said if I ever did anything like that again, I'd never play organized sports at all.

I've never had anger issues as a child, teen, or adult. I've never had a similar act of spontaneous violence before or since, I have no idea why--in that moment--my ten-year-old brain decided that was the needed action.

Hockey Calgary never punished me, neither did my parents or the team. I have no idea how badly hurt the kid was (I remember him skating off under his own power) or even who he was. Hell, he might be a poster here.

This kid is definitely older than I was, but I think it's pretty wild people are calling for him to never play hockey again and making the instant judgment he needs counselling. Maybe that's warranted? But I dunno... I'd want to know a lot more information about the kid and the situation before any decisions were made.
the video gets you a pretty good idea of the situation, and really even if 5 minutes before he was given a cheap shot or called a racist name, there is no excuse.
for me, I don't care if he had a moment of weakness and he's generally a nice fellow. If I had any say, his high school career would be done.

what more do you need to know abut the kid and his situation? If he had no reason to do what he did, he deserves to be banned from playing.

If he is an abused child, or had mental health issues that caused him to lash out, then he needs help. either way, I think he should be done playing organized hockey. for high school at the very least.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #28
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post

YOU! YOU'RE THE F***** WHO DID THAT TO ME!!!

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #29
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no call for that play in hockey, but those calling for lifetime bans are a bit over the top, IMO.

This was a stupid, idiotic mistake, but we have no idea of the history of this player. Other than this act does he have a clean history or is he a gong show of a player with a long history of issues.

A suspension is deserved for that "play", but I don't know enough about the player or his history to be calling for a lifetime ban.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 AM   #30
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

When my son was about 7 years old two kids got into a stick swinging fight on their own bench. They were axe chopping each other on the top of the head with their sticks. This is rec hockey where the kids do skills for the first half of ice time and then scrimmage for the 2nd half. Coaches are on the ice and not on the bench. I may have been the only person in the building to see it. Nobody around me reacted and the coaches were focusing on the kids on the ice.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #31
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The kid is a goal scorer. This season alone he has 15 G and 4 A in 20 GP. Prior to the incident, he also had 28 PM, which was tied for this team's lead. Prior seasons of his hockey career thus far reflect the same, according to stats. Currently, he sits as his team's leading point getter too by 5 Pts. So he's obviously a catalyst on that team.

Analyzing this through stats alone, he seems like a very talented player, with a penchant for taking penalties. Whether those be egregious or not, I don't know.

My thinking is, he was likely on a course to utilize hockey to benefit him post high school, whether that was college, uni, or whatever. With this incident now officially on his record, and proof, I think he likely will lose his eligibility to play at the level he currently is at, thus ruining his potential to make something of his hockey talent.

I don't think he should lose his right to play hockey entirely though, as a teenage boys mind is still developing significantly at that age. That being said, I believe he deserves punishment for this, and I think losing the chance to make something of his hockey talents is punishment in itself. I would think with a ban from playing for the rest of this year and next, would be a sufficient punishment, in addition to off ice counselling and courses (anger management etc).

If he's as talented as his stats make him seem, he'll find a way back on his own. Otherwise, it's a hard life lesson he'll have to learn. I don't think this incident should define him for the rest of his life though.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't guys, its a pretty serious thing, but to ruin a kids chance at hockey as a career or ban him forever? That's way too serious. Punish the kid for the remainder of the season or a lengthy amount of games and have some sort of way for him to learn to control his anger.

Banning him for life, or refusing to allow him to go on to university hockey, isn't the way to go here.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #33
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I don't guys, its a pretty serious thing, but to ruin a kids chance at hockey as a career or ban him forever? That's way too serious. Punish the kid for the remainder of the season or a lengthy amount of games and have some sort of way for him to learn to control his anger.

Banning him for life, or refusing to allow him to go on to university hockey, isn't the way to go here.

Yeah, I mean in context, there are NHL players who get off with less severe punishment for offences worse than that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #34
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't have the same vile reaction as most posters here. It was uncalled for, but it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. A hit from behind into the boards, a low brdige, hit to the head and a slew foot would all be more dangerous. And all those items are 1-5 game suspensions.

I could see him getting a lengthy suspension - perhaps for remainder of season. But a lifetime ban is over the top imo!
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote