Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #21
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The world is getting stranger and stranger. Illinois is now talking about a departing resident tax. 50% of your gross income from your last year in Illinois, or 1% of your property value, whichever is greater. They are saying you were under taxed while you lived there and they ran deficits so they have to catch you up.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:10 AM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousStranger View Post
Sounds like mayor Jack Crompton has been going over-board with that good BC sticky-icky since it's been legalized...
Was in Whistler for a conference after legalization; it's actually banned from being sold in the city because it's "unwholesome".

Real cast of characters they have on their town council.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Adorable

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:20 AM   #24
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Some Calgarians were concerned about giving events to BC for the 2026 Olympics because of there hostility towards Oil & Gas. Looks like they were right.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #25
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Albertans need to wake up and stop spending money in BC, quit generating PST for these hypocritical BC governments.

There is a huge annual energy conference in Whistler, hopefully it will be moved to a more welcoming location. People fly into it from NY, Toronto, Alberta and elsewhere so it wouldn't make sense (environmentally, of course) to hold it in Whistler.

I wonder how Albertans who own property in Whistler feel about this publication from the Mayor.... What a dummy.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow. That man is out of touch with reality. I'm guessing when this was released Murray Edwards did a spit-take thats going to cost him a keyboard.

Did his press officers okay this? Was it a prank on him?

Maybe we should be billing BC for breathing in their forest fire smoke all summer.

We all have emphysema now, lets get a class action going. Lets not forget to sue for emotional hardship as they ruined our ability to enjoy the outdoors for most of the summer.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #27
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Much like the pipeline debate there are many, many layers of stupidity to Mayor McCheese's letter.

But I really think my favorite part is where he brags about Whistler receiving 30 million visitors annually. Hey genius, how do you think people get to your town to spend $15 on a small poutine. Ban anyone from coming to Whistler if they used a car or a plane and then we can talk about remittance fees you loser.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Much like the pipeline debate there are many, many layers of stupidity to Mayor McCheese's letter.

But I really think my favorite part is where he brags about Whistler receiving 30 million visitors annually. Hey genius, how do you think people get to your town to spend $15 on a small poutine. Ban anyone from coming to Whistler if they used a car or a plane and then we can talk about remittance fees you loser.
Hes clearly Jack-in-the-Box.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-13-2018, 08:48 AM   #29
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

First, this is obviously a stupid idea.

But I do think it is interesting to see how people across Canada cope with the changing climate. So many people are just looking for someone else to blame and the obvious target is oil and gas fat-cats. I think that the demand side of the oil market is more to blame than the supply side. Our lifestyle over the past 50 years brought this upon us and there is no easy way out. I just find it so interesting that so many Canadians blame someone else for their own (our own) behaviour. These people are trying desperately to cling to a status quo which doesn't exist anymore.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:49 AM   #30
codfather
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Here's some fun facts about Mayor Jack Crompton:

* He's been mayor for all of a month now
* Prior to becoming mayor he was the CEO at Ridebooker which is a ground transportation shuttle service
* Before that Ridebooker, he was General Manager at Whistler Resort Cabs.

So there you go, this guy is a complete and total hypocrite. His entire livelyhood up to this point relied on the climate changing fossil fuels he's now demonizing. In his short time as mayor he has already ensured I'll never spend another dollar in Whistler.
codfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codfather For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #31
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
First, this is obviously a stupid idea.

But I do think it is interesting to see how people across Canada cope with the changing climate. So many people are just looking for someone else to blame and the obvious target is oil and gas fat-cats. I think that the demand side of the oil market is more to blame than the supply side. Our lifestyle over the past 50 years brought this upon us and there is no easy way out. I just find it so interesting that so many Canadians blame someone else for their own (our own) behaviour. These people are trying desperately to cling to a status quo which doesn't exist anymore.
Classic human psychology of looking for someone else to blame. People won't crackback on Ford or American Airlines because they can draw a straight line to patronage at those companies. Much better to blame an Oil company that no one ever has direct dealings with as a consumer. Also I can't believe someone invoked climate change to try and grift money from another party. Shocked, shocked I tell you.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure he has the ability to implement a gas tax in Whistler. If he feels so strongly about gas being the problem, wouldn't it make sense to implement a huge gas tax to dissuade people from burning fossil fuels? They could maybe also tax home heating natural gas. Sure, it's a small step in reducing global warming, for a little town like Whistler to have any effect, but you know what they say about environmentalism, start local!

I'm guess he doesn't have the balls to do that, though.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Whistler going to sue China as well? That's where lots of the 'pollution' is being generated...
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Is Whistler going to sue China as well? That's where lots of the 'pollution' is being generated...
Its also whats propping up the Bolsa-facade that is masquerading as the BC economy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #35
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Not if he wants to keep his kidneys.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:25 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

But hey, if BC is comfortable continuing to make Jolly old asses of themselves then by all means continue. The whole place has become a caricature by this point.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codfather View Post
* He's been mayor for all of a month now
Not the first time and from multiple BC municipalities.

From the article:

More than a dozen B.C. municipalities dating back to 2017 have sent similar letters to energy companies, including an open letter from the District of West Vancouver.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #38
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Alberta Party has a platform item to reduce the number of hipster ######s in Alberta. I think we should have BC pay a large portion of that line item.

I could get behind this if Whistler banned all gasoline and diesel vehicles in its town limits and also banned the use of natural gas and wood burning.

If Whistler took those steps it would show they are serious about reducing their own Green House gas emissions then next summer I would entertain the notion. Of course after one winter everyone would die so there would be no one to ask for money

I feel about this the same way I feel about the UBC paper that came out that said the best way to reduce personal GHG emissions was to not have children. I think the best way someone can reduce their own GHG emissions is to stop breathing. I promise, if anyone willing to do that to reduce their GHG emissions I will personally go out of my way to make a facebook post along with some #hashtag. For realz

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ices-1.4204206
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #39
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel deeply sorry for the sane, good people that live in BC. Surrounded by way too many loud idiots.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #40
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Might be time to send them some homeless people again.

Everyone gets a bus ticket!!!
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote