photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 07-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #2682
ripTDR
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

^^^ looking forward!!

edit...looking like feb 2021 release date, I just might have my first custom PC rig by then

Last edited by ripTDR; 07-12-2020 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding
ripTDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #2683
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Question for those who have played them (given that Valhalla is coming and there are so many): what Assassin’s Creed games are actually good?

I haven’t played them so I have no attachment to certain mechanics or anything (a lot of reviews seem to compare this a lot, which ain’t helpful to me), but I wouldn’t mind trying one out.

If you had to play one current gen Assassin’s Creed today, which would it be?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #2684
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Question for those who have played them (given that Valhalla is coming and there are so many): what Assassin’s Creed games are actually good?

I haven’t played them so I have no attachment to certain mechanics or anything (a lot of reviews seem to compare this a lot, which ain’t helpful to me), but I wouldn’t mind trying one out.

If you had to play one current gen Assassin’s Creed today, which would it be?
Current gen? Black Flag or Unity. Maybe Syndicate as well.

I know Unity is probably not a popular choice but I think it was the best AC game in terms of refining the traditional experience established in 1, the Ezio trilogy, and 3. The crowd sizes in Unity are crazy. That being said, it's got plenty of issues itself, namely the insane levels of collectibles bloat.

Nothing recent tops Black Flag in terms of pure fun. At the time I didn't really consider it much of an AC game but it does share a lot of similar mechanics with the newer entries in the series. Syndicate, Origins etc.

For someone new to the series I would probably guide you to Black Flag and then Syndicate.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 07-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 07:06 PM   #2685
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seconding Black Flag. Other than AssCreed 2, which is reaaally old by now, Black Flag was the only AC game I beat. Lost interest in at least 3 others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 07:25 PM   #2686
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I love the Ezio trilogy, didn't like 3, loved Black Flag, then got tired of the series and never bothered with Unity and Syndicate. I picked up a dual pack of Origins and Odyssey on PS4 last year, didn't care all that much for Origins, but Odyssey hooked me harder than any other AC game to date. Combat and abilities were really fun, voice actress for Kassandra is great, and the world is absolutely gorgeous. It is quite repetitive if you want to 100% complete it, but it never really bothered me that much because running around ancient Greece was so fun

That will be my litmus test for future AC games now, I'll pass on Valhalla since the setting doesn't interest me much. But if they ever decide to set a game in ancient China or feudal Japan then I'll be all-in
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #2687
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup pretty much agree with all that except I liked Origins more, though maybe just because of the setting.

EDIT: Should say Origins more than Hemi-Cuda liked it, I liked Odyssey way more than Origins.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:43 PM   #2688
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't really get into Origins or Odyssey, despite loving the settings, the games just didn't hook me. Got bland and repetitive really quickly. I really don't feel like the RPG elements like weapon and armour scores and leveled enemies fits AC at all

I'll echo what others said, Black Flag probably my favourite

Last edited by btimbit; 07-12-2020 at 09:45 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #2689
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://register.ubisoft.com/ubisoft...d-reward/en-US

Since the announcement stream for Ubisoft was less than satisfactory here is the registration link for Watchdogs 2 that was promised earlier. must have an ubisoft account or make one.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 06:33 AM   #2690
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't get into AC until Black Flag which was a game changer for me and I've played all games since. They are formulaic much like Far Cry games but high quality and lots of things to do and places to explore. I'm very excited for Valhalla.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 AM   #2691
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

All Assassin's Creed games are good, but none of them are great. I've played a bunch (1, 2, 3, Black Flag, Syndicate, Odyssey) and finished none of them.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:46 AM   #2692
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Microsoft Flight Simulator launches August 18th. It’ll be on Game Pass so I’m excited to try it out.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/...-announcement/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #2693
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty odd/interesting aircraft list
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:34 AM   #2694
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just glad they've toned down the modern story on Assassin's Creed. I understand why it's needed since you're in an animus but it got annoying constantly going back and forth.

Having said that I can't say I haven't enjoyed any of the games in the series even with their faults and have finished them all.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #2695
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Glad you guys are still recommending Black Flag! I was on the team that designed it.

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #2696
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dunkey's video summed up Assassin's Creed pretty well I thought

And on Odyssey

OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:36 PM   #2697
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished Odyssey and thought that was the best one thus far. I put almost 90 hours into it and it never felt like a grind to me (although technically it can be). Origins was good, but by the end I was glad it was over. With Odyssey I actually felt sad the adventure was over. I can't speak for the male character, but Kassandra is an absolute bad-ass too.

I also liked Syndicate. Thought it had a great sense of humor throughout the game and neat storyline. A decent change from the usual entries in the series.

I'll echo what Cube said and what I posted earlier; none of the AC games are really truly great. But they are all very good and you can tell a lot of work went into each. It's unrealistic to expect perfection with every release, especially with a series like AC that has so many entries. But each one are quality games that are worth the time you put in. You get your money out of AC games as they are long and filled with content. As a gamer that's all you hope for.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 07-13-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #2698
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
You get your money out of AC games as they are long and filled with content. As a gamer that's all you hope for.
Yep, and if you're into history and know the setting, there's a whole other level of enjoyment to those games..they really do their homework. Ancient Greece is my all-time favourite historical setting, Odyssey was awesome for me in that regard. Even easily-missed side missions have references to old Greek tragedies that could easily go under the radar, it's impressive. There's so many subtle little references like that everywhere in Odyssey.

As for the question of what ACs to play, as mentioned Black Flag seems to be universally liked. But the way he moves on land is feeling a bit dated last time I played it, its basically the same engine from AC3 that came out back in 2012. So just be prepared for that.

Unity also gets love in hindsight now that its fixed, which is ironic given what a monumental disaster their release was. Its the smoothest free-run and climbing mechanics in the series, there's a nice focus on stealth (unlike the past 3 games), it had the best combat in an AC game until Origins, Paris is beautiful, and the massive crowds really make the world feel alive. Plus the civil unrest in the streets feel relevant given what's been happening in the world the past couple months.

Origins would also be a nice segue before you get launched into full RPG mode with Odyssey or Valhalla. It introduces some of those mechanics, but in a scaled back way..its not a true RPG. If you went straight from BF/Unity to Odyssey or Valhalla, the complete overhaul to RPG may feel jarring.

Last edited by Sainters7; 07-13-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Sainters7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #2699
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find AC games are only a grind if you choose to go the route of completionist finishing all the side missions. If you stick to the storyline you can finish the game without it feeling like a chore. As said above I put easily 80-100 hours into Odyssey and while there's a bit of a marathon feel it's such a genuinely fun game that you just want to keep going. Nothing like Last of Us 2 which was a grind because the game just wasn't fun.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-14-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #2700
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I'll also note that while many complain about Odyssey having enemies above your level that you can't insta-assassinate, it felt really satisfying once I leveled up far enough and into the right build where I could perform a one-hit stealth kill on some of the harder enemies. And when you run across a mercenary several levels above you, but manage to take them down through battle it makes you feel like a badass
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: