Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #461
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Matt Lauer...

https://etcanada.com/news/275712/mat...ent-complaint/
Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #462
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Garrison Keillor Accused Of 'Inappropriate Behavior,' Minnesota Public Radio Says

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...m_content=2057

Garrison Keillor, the creator and former host of A Prairie Home Companion, has been accused of inappropriate behavior with someone who worked with him, according to Minnesota Public Radio, which has announced it is cutting ties with Keillor and his production company.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #463
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just keep ignoring the stats in order to continue with your own narrative, eh?

Seriously, that's a defense now? "Well gee, you know I don't think about the gay much but when I do, I kind of thing they should be eradicated."

And again, as pointed out by several posters now, Canada continues to progress to a point where less and less people believe these things, whereas Russia is heading in the opposite direction, but please, enlighten us with more of your compelling anecdotal evidence and false equivalencies.
Saying that it's not fair or right to paint 146 million people with one brush is now a narrative?

I'm done with you. The last thing I'll say is that your irrational hatred towards Russians is much worse than their lack of acceptance of the LGBT community.

Your roots wouldn't happen to be in one of the Baltic countries would they?
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:10 PM   #464
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
The last thing I'll say is that your irrational hatred towards Russians is much worse than their lack of acceptance of the LGBT community.
This is a fairly insane statement, it seems to me, in light of the fact that Rubecube's "irrational hatred towards Russians" (even if his attitude can be fairly characterized that way) isn't likely to result in anyone's untimely death.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...gays-chechnya/
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #465
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

No no you see, both Rubecube hating on Russia and Russians ostracizing, oppressing, and killing LGBTQ are equally bad.

Truly, both sides are at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #466
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm done with you. The last thing I'll say is that your irrational hatred towards Russians is much worse than their lack of acceptance of the LGBT community.
So you think hating someone because of what they choose to believe, the words they choose to say, and the actions they choose to take, is worse than hating someone because they find different people than you attractive?

Got it.

Fun fact, I found out today that I am worse than lynch mobs and nazis.
Gee, wasn't expecting that.

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 11-29-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM   #467
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
No no you see, both Rubecube hating on Russia and Russians ostracizing, oppressing, and killing LGBTQ are equally bad.

In light of the discussion last week that was going on in the FOI forum on moderation and the issues that arise in these political threads, if anyone was looking for a good example of a sarcastic pile-on style post that adds absolutely nothing at all to what was previously said, well, exhibit A.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #468
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
In light of the discussion last week that was going on in the FOI forum on moderation and the issues that arise in these political threads, if anyone was looking for a good example of a sarcastic pile-on style post that adds absolutely nothing at all to what was previously said, well, exhibit A.
Psycnet's custom user title should be "Exhibit A", just to remind us of this.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #469
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Some of you seem to be enjoying this just a little too much.

"The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks."

Its kind of creepy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #470
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I know he's not Russian and has nothing to do with Russia but this is kind of big news as he's been a staple of a successful morning show for decades. Sounds like this had been under investigation for a while so he must have done something that crossed the line to the point where immediate termination was necessary.
It's almost like this is what we should be discussing here and not the leftist racist attitudes towards Russians.

This is a pretty big name to drop.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #471
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post

I'm glad he's gone. I'm very sad for the person or persons he hurt, that got us to this point that he's gone, but I'm glad he's gone. There have long been accusations about him regarding turd stain bullying behavior and in discussion with friends about him, many of us figured there was a good likelihood he would harass women too, if not outright assault them.

There was a post about Lena Dunham earlier in this thread. Ran across this today, reading a post about Keillor's firing, on FB. She needs to be as gone as Weinstein, Lauer, all of them.

Link

Quote:
Lena Dunham may be the first person to fabricate details of her alleged rape, then proclaim all women’s claims need to be believed, and then publicly accuse a young woman of lying about having been raped.
Finally, the star and creator of “Girls” has been exposed as the empty vessel she is.

“Girls” was never the smart, generational criticism Dunham always claimed; really, it was just a smuttier, younger “Sex and the City.” Nor is there as much daylight between Dunham and her shallow, entitled character Hannah Horvath as she’d have us believe. “I think I might be the voice of a generation,” Hannah tells her parents in the first episode. “Or at least a voice of a generation.”

It was supposed to be a joke, but all too quickly Dunham embraced this notion herself, no doubt emboldened by the real estate afforded her in New York Magazine, the New Yorker and the New York Times. So what if she was a 25-year-old with no real life experience? What she had to say clearly mattered.

Until, that is, Nov. 17, when Dunham and colleague Jenni Konner came to the defense of Murray Miller, a writer on “Girls” accused of rape. A police report had been filed. Yet here came a statement no one asked for, brimming with smug superiority. “While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story,” they wrote in part, “our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year.”

This is just one of the many problems with Dunham: She speaks, usually unbidden, with complete moral and philosophical authority — until she’s called out online, at which point she furiously and pathetically backpedals. She’s a total hypocrite who claims we’re the ones who have issues with her body and slovenly dress, yet she strains to appear sexy and glamorous on the red carpet. She wants desperately to be liked while claiming she doesn’t care if we like her. She’s a narcissist who possesses no intellectual rigor, no belief system, no relationship with the truth.

“I’m an unreliable narrator,” she wrote in her 2014 memoir “Not That Kind of Girl.”

So begins a chapter called “Barry,” named for the student she claimed raped her as a college student at Oberlin. Barry, Dunham wrote, was an unstylish white Republican (of course) who had a mustache, wore cowboy boots and hosted a radio show. A girl he’d once had sex with, Dunham wrote, said Barry left her bedroom spattered “like a crime scene” in blood. Dunham wrote that she had “a few versions” of the story in her mind, but other people — including, curiously, a “Girls” writer named Murray — helped her see she’d been raped.

The only problem with this story? Just one guy in Dunham’s timeframe, on her campus, fit this description. His name was Barry. He’d never raped her. Whether Dunham knew or cared about the damage she’d done — falsely accusing a man the media quickly identified, giving unfair leverage to those who would (ahem) doubt future victims’ stories — became, typically, less important than her experience of the whole media maelstrom. “[I] had hoped beyond hope that the sensitive nature of the event” — meaning her ostensible rape — “would be honored, and that no one would attempt to reopen these wounds or deepen my trauma,” Dunham wrote. Instead, “I have had my character and credibility questioned at every turn.”

How ironic.

In this #metoo moment, Dunham’s social and political tone-deafness only underscores how out of touch she is: A product of wealthy artist parents, a downtown New York upbringing, a homogeneous world of rich white friends insulated from life’s hardships, Dunham was ushered into Hollywood via nepotism in her early 20s. She is everything Middle America resents about coastal elites, rightfully so. She’s not nearly as smart as she thinks. She doesn’t know what feminism means.

This is a woman who said she’d never had an abortion, “but I wish I had.” In her memoir, she wrote about obsessing over her baby sister Grace to an alarming degree. “Basically,” Dunham wrote, “anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying.” She wrote of masturbating in bed next to Grace and that she’d once pulled apart Grace’s legs to find pebbles up her toddler sister’s vagina.

She posed pantsless for well-known sexual predator Terry Richardson. She accused Odell Beckham Jr. of horrible thoughts because he didn’t talk to her at last year’s Met Gala. “It was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards. He was like, ‘That’s a marshmallow. That’s a child. That’s a dog.’ ”

Lastly, and perhaps most damning of all, she gave away her rescue dog when he became, she said, too much. Lena Dunham has had innumerable chances, but time and again only proves her horribleness.

Not just the men, clearly. Lena Dunham, take your leave.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM   #472
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
It's almost like this is what we should be discussing here and not the leftist racist attitudes towards Russians.

This is a pretty big name to drop.
Okay, I'll bite. First, Russian isn't a race. Second, how is pointing out the statistically-verified, commonly held beliefs of a society racist exactly? I've never said "I hate all Russian." I said their culture and society was garbage and I was specifically referring to the dominant culture in 21st century Russia. Exactly none of that pertains to race.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #473
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lena Dunham is messed up. To do what she did to her little sister takes a special kind of psyco.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #474
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I'll bite. First, Russian isn't a race. Second, how is pointing out the statistically-verified, commonly held beliefs of a society racist exactly? I've never said "I hate all Russian." I said their culture and society was garbage and I was specifically referring to the dominant culture in 21st century Russia. Exactly none of that pertains to race.
I'm a 1/4 Russian. Why do you hate me for something I am not in control of. Try replacing Russian with Muslim and see how you sound.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #475
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: No insults please.

Last edited by KootenayFlamesFan; 11-29-2017 at 05:55 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #476
tjinaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Is it though?

Quote:
MOD edited post
he is just asking how broad your brush truly is.

tjinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #477
Hart50
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, aren’t we being pedantic today. How about instead of calling you a racist we’ll call you a bigot?
Hart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #478
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Removed insults.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM   #479
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two observations I've made

1. Netflix made a big show about pushing out Kevin Spacey for his actions and they're currently seeing no issue with running a documentary about a guy who beat the hell out of his girlfriend in Chris Brown. It's a pretty ####ty hypocrisy on their part.

2. Russian society sucks.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #480
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Saying that it's not fair or right to paint 146 million people with one brush is now a narrative?

Your roots wouldn't happen to be in one of the Baltic countries would they?
Does CP have a "post of the year" award?

I want to nominate this one.

But ironically.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: