Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2022, 11:27 AM   #2501
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am a bit conflicted after watching that. Not sure if they helped reconcile anything. It seemed like most of the time they were pumping Cosby’s tires, and then they would superimpose that with the acts he committed against these women. Was the documentary really needed? Do we need to hear about all of the positive contributions by Weinstein / Spacey / Polanski?
You're supposed to be conflicted. Cosby is a legendary advocate of the black community and did a tremendous amount of actual work to advance their station throughout his industry. He also contributed vast wealth to enhancing supports for African Americans through all walks of life.

Bill Cosby is still an icon in that regard. However, he is also a psychopathic rapist that levied trauma for decades.

There's a reason that people still don't believe, or desperately don't want to believe, that people like himself and others (like Michael Jackson, for example) did these heinous things.

To a far lesser degree, you can compare it with how we reconcile the hero that Theo Fleury was on and off the ice and is with his advocacy for abuse victims with the complete right-wing conspiracy lunacy he vomits onto Twitter. It's hard to separate the memories I have from childhood from the damage he is doing daily today.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:25 PM   #2502
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
You're supposed to be conflicted. Cosby is a legendary advocate of the black community and did a tremendous amount of actual work to advance their station throughout his industry. He also contributed vast wealth to enhancing supports for African Americans through all walks of life.

Bill Cosby is still an icon in that regard. However, he is also a psychopathic rapist that levied trauma for decades.

There's a reason that people still don't believe, or desperately don't want to believe, that people like himself and others (like Michael Jackson, for example) did these heinous things.

To a far lesser degree, you can compare it with how we reconcile the hero that Theo Fleury was on and off the ice and is with his advocacy for abuse victims with the complete right-wing conspiracy lunacy he vomits onto Twitter. It's hard to separate the memories I have from childhood from the damage he is doing daily today.
Eh, Cosby's legacy as a black advocate is extremely questionable, he's a conservative who has been extremely dismissive and at times downright hateful towards blacks in poverty.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 01:58 PM   #2503
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Eh, Cosby's legacy as a black advocate is extremely questionable, he's a conservative who has been extremely dismissive and at times downright hateful towards blacks in poverty.
That's true and it certainly doesn't help things. Somehow, he's still venerated by a lot of people as breaking down social and cultural barriers.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #2504
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also can't ignore the long long history of black men and boys in the US being lynched because they were accused of looking/whisteling/raping white women it was pretty much the go to excuse for a lynching and almost always a bull#### excuse, it of course makes it easy for black America to see these accusations in the same light
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:39 AM   #2505
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Oh, well that totally confirms every crazy thing she has come up with. I get it is the current social norm that any accusation is an immediate indicator of guilt, no matter how crazy it sounds or what the evidence may show otherwise. It is the politically correct way to look at it regardless if the person is guilty or not.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #2506
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Oh, well that totally confirms every crazy thing she has come up with. I get it is the current social norm that any accusation is an immediate indicator of guilt, no matter how crazy it sounds or what the evidence may show otherwise. It is the politically correct way to look at it regardless if the person is guilty or not.
Yeah you’re right. The jilted ex girlfriend in these situations normally talks about surviving abuse, goes before congress multiple times to encourage the passing of an act that extends the statute of limitations for survivors of domestic abuse, and forms a non-profit to protect the survivors of sexual abuse years before ever actually naming the abuser they’re trying to get back at because they’re an easy target.

She was obviously really playing the long game. And of course, the four other women that have accused him of sexual harassment or abuse are all liars too. And she obviously did it for her career, even though women who come forward with sexual abuse allegations basically never get a career bump following it (usually the opposite). Can you even name one?

It’s not gross because it’s not politically correct or a comment in keeping with social norms, it was just a generally gross comment with gross undertones to it. It’s worth remembering that just because two people are in a consensual relationship does not mean consent no longer needs to be sought for activities within it, or that consent cannot be rescinded, or that just because someone in an abusive relationship doesn’t stop something in the moment doesn’t make it any less of an abuse. It’s time to wake up.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 09:39 AM   #2507
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah you’re right. The jilted ex girlfriend in these situations normally talks about surviving abuse, goes before congress multiple times to encourage the passing of an act that extends the statute of limitations for survivors of domestic abuse, and forms a non-profit to protect the survivors of sexual abuse years before ever actually naming the abuser they’re trying to get back at because they’re an easy target.

She was obviously really playing the long game. And of course, the four other women that have accused him of sexual harassment or abuse are all liars too. And she obviously did it for her career, even though women who come forward with sexual abuse allegations basically never get a career bump following it (usually the opposite). Can you even name one?

It’s not gross because it’s not politically correct or a comment in keeping with social norms, it was just a generally gross comment with gross undertones to it. It’s worth remembering that just because two people are in a consensual relationship does not mean consent no longer needs to be sought for activities within it, or that consent cannot be rescinded, or that just because someone in an abusive relationship doesn’t stop something in the moment doesn’t make it any less of an abuse. It’s time to wake up.
Yes, it is time to wake up. Allegations does NOT make a person guilty. It is no more wrong for me to speculate from what I have heard and read I am correct any more than for you to pronounce him guilty. Why is the media not keying in on multiple witnesses the defendant has that claim these allegations are not true? How can you say it didn't further her career when she was not even in the spotlight or getting major roles and now all the sudden she is? Or the Sundance film she made that she cashed in from HBO on? Why have the police searched his property, talked to plenty of people, and come up empty? I could be wrong, you could be wrong, let it play out in court.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #2508
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rule of thumb. When one starts any statement with "I'm not victim shaming here", chances are you are victim shaming.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 09:58 AM   #2509
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, it is time to wake up. Allegations does NOT make a person guilty. It is no more wrong for me to speculate from what I have heard and read I am correct any more than for you to pronounce him guilty. Why is the media not keying in on multiple witnesses the defendant has that claim these allegations are not true? How can you say it didn't further her career when she was not even in the spotlight or getting major roles and now all the sudden she is? Or the Sundance film she made that she cashed in from HBO on? Why have the police searched his property, talked to plenty of people, and come up empty? I could be wrong, you could be wrong, let it play out in court.
As far as film roles go, she took a starring role in a huge HBO before all this, and was in Frozen 2 before all this, both of which are bigger than anything she’d done recently and especially since, so where’s the career boost?

And as far as evidence goes, what evidence would you like the police to have found at Manson’s house of him drugging her and raping her in her sleep years prior?

I’m not pronouncing him guilty. You’re the one making the verdict, and it’s gross. You’re blaming the victim and writing her off, and it’s gross.

Again, tell me why this fits your theory. Why would a jilted ex girlfriend go through the process of sharing her story without naming him, go to congress to try to fight for laws that better protect victims of sexual abuse, and start a non-profit to protect other survivors of sexual abuse… all before ever mentioning his name? How does that fit the jilted ex girlfriend spotting an easy mark and looking for a career boost narrative? Please do tell!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 10:42 AM   #2510
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As far as film roles go, she took a starring role in a huge HBO before all this, and was in Frozen 2 before all this, both of which are bigger than anything she’d done recently and especially since, so where’s the career boost?

And as far as evidence goes, what evidence would you like the police to have found at Manson’s house of him drugging her and raping her in her sleep years prior?

I’m not pronouncing him guilty. You’re the one making the verdict, and it’s gross. You’re blaming the victim and writing her off, and it’s gross.

Again, tell me why this fits your theory. Why would a jilted ex girlfriend go through the process of sharing her story without naming him, go to congress to try to fight for laws that better protect victims of sexual abuse, and start a non-profit to protect other survivors of sexual abuse… all before ever mentioning his name? How does that fit the jilted ex girlfriend spotting an easy mark and looking for a career boost narrative? Please do tell!
You don't know who the victim is here so get off your high horse. You know what's gross? Looking to be Captain Morals on a message board. If she had no intentions of making it a non profit thing why did she eventually mention his name? If these things were happening why was she totally in board with him for so long? She says he sexually raped her during a video that multiple people who were on set have stated is simply not true. Neither you nor I have all the facts, you theorize you are right and you believe her story, I have a different theory and you say I am victim blaming. Maybe in actuality you are victim blaming. Again, let it play out in the courts.
Old 03-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #2511
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
You don't know who the victim is here so get off your high horse. You know what's gross? Looking to be Captain Morals on a message board. If she had no intentions of making it a non profit thing why did she eventually mention his name? If these things were happening why was she totally in board with him for so long? She says he sexually raped her during a video that multiple people who were on set have stated is simply not true. Neither you nor I have all the facts, you theorize you are right and you believe her story, I have a different theory and you say I am victim blaming. Maybe in actuality you are victim blaming. Again, let it play out in the courts.
Sorry, what? Captain morals on a message board? Grow up.

Why did she come forward when she did? Who knows, is there a rule when people are allowed to come forward? Before coming forward, she openly expressed fear of reprisal from her abuser and fear from being judged by society (like what you're doing) so that's probably why.

I'm not theorizing I'm right, I'm talking about the numerous allegations against him. You're making up theories about Wood that nobody, not even Manson, has proposed. And claiming things like "multiple people on set said this wasn't true" and "police executed a search warrant and found nothing" without anything to back up those claims. That's why you're victim blaming. Or maybe you just don't understand. But let's go ahead and take a look at the actual facts and Manson's history.

- Craig Marks (an editor at Spin) sues Manson for threatening to kill him and his family. Manson settles the lawsuit.

- Manson is charged with sexual assault and sexual misconduct, pleads guilty to lesser charges, and settles a lawsuit brought by the victim.

- The video shoot in question happens as Wood and Manson start dating. Unlike your version of events, at least one eye witness has confirmed in their belief that actual intercourse occured. (feel free to cite any source at all claiming the opposite). The accusation is that she agreed to the video, but not to actual intercourse on camera. They split not long after.

- Manson threatens to smash Wood's skull in with a sledgehammer
- Manson threatens to murder music journalists who speak out against him

- Wood and Manson get back together and split within months.

- Wood first speaks about being a survivor of sexual abuse to Rolling Stone, chooses not to name or elaborate on the identity of her abuser

- Manson's bandmate, Ramirez, is accused of rape. Manson claims he knew nothing about the allegations, but later allegations will suggest a Manson faciliated a sexual assault with Ramirez.

- Charlyne Yi accuses Manson is sexual harassment and racism during a filming of the show House
- Wood details her experiences of sexual abuse before congress in an effort to further the importance of the Phoenix Act, which extends the statute of limitations for sexual assault survivors up to 10 years
- LAPD decline to press charges after a police report is filed accusing Manson of unspecified sex crimes dating back to 2011, citing the expiration of the statute of limitations as well as an absence of coroborating evidence

- Wood speaks in front of a Senate panel, again detailing her experiences with sexual abuse, again refusing to name her abuser

- Wood names Manson as her abuser, citing numerous examples of grooming and sexual violence
- Sarah McNeilly, Ashley Morgan Smithline, Ashley Walters and a woman named Gabriella join in accusing Manson of sexual abuse
- A stylist accuses Manson of putting a gun to her head, one of multiple stories shared regarding Manson's behaviour and treatment of others
- Otep Shamaya accuses Manson of verbally assaulting and threatening his current wife, along with throwing knives at her (claiming she was privy to conversations between her partner and Lindsey)
- Esme Bianco accuses Manson of sexual abuse, including assault and torture, and files a lawsuit against him. Manson attempts to have this lawsuit dismissed, but the Judge rules it can proceed.
- An investigation into Manson begins, with Bianca Allaine accusing Manson of abuse and sharing her intention to speak with the FBI
- Ashley Walters, mentioned above, files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual abuse
- Another, unamed woman files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual assault, this is dismissed citing a expiration of the statute of limitations, but refiled later and set to go to trial in 2023.
- Smithline, also mentioned above, files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual abuse
- Manson's lawyers discuss the possibility of a blanket settlement on all ongoing lawsuits against Manson.
- Rolling Stone releases an extensive investigation into the allegations against Manson, including statements from accusers as well as witnesses
- Investigators raid Manson's home in November (and, unless you have other sources, state what has been taken including items and harddrives, but make no mention of what evidence has been found)

- Manson sues Wood and Gore for defamation ahead of the premiere of the documentary detailing his abuse

So, yeah. Maybe inform yourself before you start victim blaming and going to bat for someone with multiple lawsuits against him and dozens of women having shared stories citing abuse, violence and harassment. You don't need to take every accusation at it's word, but making up theories about the victims is gross and, quite frankly, dumb. Imagine being a person who went to bat for Weinstein, Cosby, and Epstein. Manson hasn't been proven guilty of everything yet, and he obviously desires a path that ensures none of these lawsuits see a trial, but if you read all that and still think that's the side you want to make up stories to justify taking, it is as described: gross.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #2512
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

William Hurt’s Former Partner Donna Kaz on Surviving Abuse and Speaking Her Truth

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/d...se-1235208312/

Since his death I've read a number of similar accounts of abuse at the hands of Hurt. It seems he was a real piece of ####.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:22 PM   #2513
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, what? Captain morals on a message board? Grow up.

Why did she come forward when she did? Who knows, is there a rule when people are allowed to come forward? Before coming forward, she openly expressed fear of reprisal from her abuser and fear from being judged by society (like what you're doing) so that's probably why.

I'm not theorizing I'm right, I'm talking about the numerous allegations against him. You're making up theories about Wood that nobody, not even Manson, has proposed. And claiming things like "multiple people on set said this wasn't true" and "police executed a search warrant and found nothing" without anything to back up those claims. That's why you're victim blaming. Or maybe you just don't understand. But let's go ahead and take a look at the actual facts and Manson's history.

- Craig Marks (an editor at Spin) sues Manson for threatening to kill him and his family. Manson settles the lawsuit.

- Manson is charged with sexual assault and sexual misconduct, pleads guilty to lesser charges, and settles a lawsuit brought by the victim.

- The video shoot in question happens as Wood and Manson start dating. Unlike your version of events, at least one eye witness has confirmed in their belief that actual intercourse occured. (feel free to cite any source at all claiming the opposite). The accusation is that she agreed to the video, but not to actual intercourse on camera. They split not long after.

- Manson threatens to smash Wood's skull in with a sledgehammer
- Manson threatens to murder music journalists who speak out against him

- Wood and Manson get back together and split within months.

- Wood first speaks about being a survivor of sexual abuse to Rolling Stone, chooses not to name or elaborate on the identity of her abuser

- Manson's bandmate, Ramirez, is accused of rape. Manson claims he knew nothing about the allegations, but later allegations will suggest a Manson faciliated a sexual assault with Ramirez.

- Charlyne Yi accuses Manson is sexual harassment and racism during a filming of the show House
- Wood details her experiences of sexual abuse before congress in an effort to further the importance of the Phoenix Act, which extends the statute of limitations for sexual assault survivors up to 10 years
- LAPD decline to press charges after a police report is filed accusing Manson of unspecified sex crimes dating back to 2011, citing the expiration of the statute of limitations as well as an absence of coroborating evidence

- Wood speaks in front of a Senate panel, again detailing her experiences with sexual abuse, again refusing to name her abuser

- Wood names Manson as her abuser, citing numerous examples of grooming and sexual violence
- Sarah McNeilly, Ashley Morgan Smithline, Ashley Walters and a woman named Gabriella join in accusing Manson of sexual abuse
- A stylist accuses Manson of putting a gun to her head, one of multiple stories shared regarding Manson's behaviour and treatment of others
- Otep Shamaya accuses Manson of verbally assaulting and threatening his current wife, along with throwing knives at her (claiming she was privy to conversations between her partner and Lindsey)
- Esme Bianco accuses Manson of sexual abuse, including assault and torture, and files a lawsuit against him. Manson attempts to have this lawsuit dismissed, but the Judge rules it can proceed.
- An investigation into Manson begins, with Bianca Allaine accusing Manson of abuse and sharing her intention to speak with the FBI
- Ashley Walters, mentioned above, files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual abuse
- Another, unamed woman files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual assault, this is dismissed citing a expiration of the statute of limitations, but refiled later and set to go to trial in 2023.
- Smithline, also mentioned above, files a lawsuit against Manson for sexual abuse
- Manson's lawyers discuss the possibility of a blanket settlement on all ongoing lawsuits against Manson.
- Rolling Stone releases an extensive investigation into the allegations against Manson, including statements from accusers as well as witnesses
- Investigators raid Manson's home in November (and, unless you have other sources, state what has been taken including items and harddrives, but make no mention of what evidence has been found)

- Manson sues Wood and Gore for defamation ahead of the premiere of the documentary detailing his abuse

So, yeah. Maybe inform yourself before you start victim blaming and going to bat for someone with multiple lawsuits against him and dozens of women having shared stories citing abuse, violence and harassment. You don't need to take every accusation at it's word, but making up theories about the victims is gross and, quite frankly, dumb. Imagine being a person who went to bat for Weinstein, Cosby, and Epstein. Manson hasn't been proven guilty of everything yet, and he obviously desires a path that ensures none of these lawsuits see a trial, but if you read all that and still think that's the side you want to make up stories to justify taking, it is as described: gross.
No, you are still staying things as facts that are completely hearsay. By your way of thinking if you had a relationship with a woman and you broke up on bad terms and she decided to make accusations against you that cost you your career and damaged your image, even though you didn't do those things you are gross and we should all condemn you and believe her because she is a woman and the #metoomovement has a been a big media item in recent years. Let's take it further and say you are a famous person, even if you are innocent of what is accused public opinion means your life is ruined. Exactly how is that fair? Did we not just go through this with DeShaun Watson in football? Everybody calling him a pos and horrible, now that he has been cleared where are all the people saying the same things about his accusers? Why when one woman came forward all the sudden a bunch of others come out of the woodwork seeing dollar signs? MM is guilty by his image and sexual preferences. Why is his other ex wives and GFS saying they never experienced these things? You need to take your own advice and actually do some research.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:28 PM   #2514
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Rule of thumb. When one starts any statement with "I'm not victim shaming here", chances are you are victim shaming.
I would expect no less from you. Whether it is contact in hockey or anything else you seem to victim promote everything in here regardless of the topic. What if MM wins his defamation suit? Shall I come back and accuse you of victim shaming? Like I said, it's social herd conformity to not look at both sides but to automatically pronounce guilt on the accused, especially when it comes to famous sex assault accusations. Some of us are not afraid to look at both sides though, form an opinion, have a thought of our own, and speak out about it. If that gets me chewed up have it, don't care.
Old 03-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #2515
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good. I'm glad the expectation people have for me is to not blame the victim.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #2516
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say everything about Manson and his history reeks of rapey scumbag, I might not think I know enough to say yes or no definatively but I know enough that there isnt a farts chance in hell I would defend him and slag of his accusers
Old 03-18-2022, 05:58 PM   #2517
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

A guy can't even defend a serial sexual abuser anymore without getting called out on it. God damn woke cancel culture smh.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2022, 06:06 PM   #2518
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
A guy can't even defend a serial sexual abuser anymore without getting called out on it. God damn woke cancel culture smh.
Libtards ruin everything, rape is what built this country
Old 03-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #2519
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Good. I'm glad the expectation people have for me is to not blame the victim.
Yet if Manson is telling the truth you are doing exactly that.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:11 PM   #2520
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Libtards ruin everything, rape is what built this country
Nice. It isn't ok to question a man's guilt before the facts or a trial but it is ok to use slang that insults the mentally impaired.