Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #141
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Does anyone get their gas through Direct Energy? I don’t have a contract or anything, just floating rate or whatever every month. I want to take ATCO up on this offer but switching both Enmax and Direct Energy feels like a potential headache. But it’s prob like $200-300 savings over the two months for both gas and electricity... worth the headache.
What’s the headache? You just type in your address in a website and it’s done
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #142
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you want to cancel your Enmax service, call Enmax.
I wonder how much you actually save, it says on the flyer that the Energy Credit does not include: Delivery charges, access fee, franchise fee, admin fees, taxes, levies and other charges beyond commodities. I will have to take a closer look at my bill, its all paperless and automated with City of Calgary/Enmax.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 12-06-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 PM   #143
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I wonder how much you actually save, it says on the flyer that the Energy Credit does not include: Delivery charges, access fee, franchise fee, admin fees, taxes, levies and other charges beyond commodities. I will have to take a closer look at my bill, its all paperless and automated with City of Calgary/Enmax.
Well last year I received a credit of 82 from enmax so at least double that for 2 months so 160-200.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #144
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
With a floating rate for electricity and gas, the delivery and regulatory charges will probably be around 2/3rds of the total bill.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 PM   #145
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
What’s the headache? You just type in your address in a website and it’s done
To cancel? With Direct Energy? I don’t know. I moved in August and just transferring from one address to another seemed to really max out the capabilities of their customer service. And I still got a notice that my “SERVICE WOULD BE DISCONNECTED” if I didn’t contact them after moving into the new place. Even though I’d already contacted them weeks prior to request the move. My confidence in their competency is low.

I do put a little more faith in Enmax successfully cancelling my service and not accidentally on purpose continuing to bill me.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 PM   #146
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When you sign up for ATCO, they handle the cancellation for you so you don't need to contact Enmax or DE.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 09:10 AM   #147
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great responses CP members! thanks to all that provided valuable information.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #148
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The frustrating part is I am trying to compare bills on the ucahelps site but it doesn't give floating info...... I don't know if it is worth switching...
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #149
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not much. Last month I used 295 kwh for a total of $11.32 and 6.89GJ for a total of $8.26. Free energy would be $20/month for two months. The other $102.45 on my bill were admin and distribution charges and fees
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #150
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am switching today. Is variable the way to go for both electricity and gas?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #151
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

stayed with enmax and signed up for their stupid contest. 80 dollars savings over 2 months isnt worth switching to atco.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I am switching today. Is variable the way to go for both electricity and gas?
Absolutely, judging from past performance.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #153
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
When you sign up for ATCO, they handle the cancellation for you so you don't need to contact Enmax or DE.
THIs was unfortunately not true for me today when I called.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #154
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just got a flyer in the mail for this deal today. Seems like a good deal at first but once you crunch the numbers, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Based on my last three years consumption history (I have variable rates), I should be able to save at least $110 to $120 bucks with the ATCO deal. But as others have noted, roughly only one-third of my natural gas and electricity bill is for the actual commodity itself. The other two-thirds are all the associated fees. So if ATCO charges higher delivery fees, it will eat into those savings pretty quickly. And you also have to factor in the potential time lost and inconvenience if there are any problems with the switch from Enmax to ATCO.

Also, if I was to apply the savings to 2015 to 2017, it works out to be roughly 4% savings on my overall annual bill, although the 2017 number is estimated as I do not have my November or December bills yet. But for those who do not want to crunch the numbers, a quick and dirty way to calculate your potential savings is to apply a 4% discount to your annual utility spend.

snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #155
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what duration is everyone signing up for with Atco? Is it worth it to go with the 5 year or take the shorter term and roll the dice the rates do not increase. I don't see gas going much lower than it is right now...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #156
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whenever I call in they say a lot of people take fixed rates for electricity but almost nobody takes fixed on gas.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #157
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
Just got a flyer in the mail for this deal today. Seems like a good deal at first but once you crunch the numbers, I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. Based on my last three years consumption history (I have variable rates), I should be able to save at least $110 to $120 bucks with the ATCO deal. But as others have noted, roughly only one-third of my natural gas and electricity bill is for the actual commodity itself. The other two-thirds are all the associated fees. So if ATCO charges higher delivery fees, it will eat into those savings pretty quickly. And you also have to factor in the potential time lost and inconvenience if there are any problems with the switch from Enmax to ATCO.

Also, if I was to apply the savings to 2015 to 2017, it works out to be roughly 4% savings on my overall annual bill, although the 2017 number is estimated as I do not have my November or December bills yet. But for those who do not want to crunch the numbers, a quick and dirty way to calculate your potential savings is to apply a 4% discount to your annual utility spend.

So if your numbers are right, then you would of saved about $400 over the last three years? Sounds good to me.

Does your calculation account for the lower admin fee’s and lower gas and electricity rates?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #158
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
So if your numbers are right, then you would of saved about $400 over the last three years? Sounds good to me.

Does your calculation account for the lower admin fee’s and lower gas and electricity rates?
But isn't the discount just for this coming January/February? It's not for every January/February period for the next three years is it? The flyer I received yesterday says we are getting two months gas and electricity free if we make the switch. So max. savings would be in the $120 range.

Also, if NG and power fees are lower this January/February, then the overall savings will be less. But if we have a terribly cold winter, than overall savings will be more. And what we do not know is ATCO's admin and delivery fees.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #159
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
THIs was unfortunately not true for me today when I called.
Weird.

The person on Live Chat told me they would handle the cancelations.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #160
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Weird.

The person on Live Chat told me they would handle the cancelations.
Yeah same with me. I signed up a couple days ago, haven't heard anything from anyone yet.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote