Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2023, 08:56 AM   #21
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
r... but for reasons I still don't understand, I just suddenly decided I needed to sell off a bunch of the stuff and focus on different hobbies.

I still don't fully get it. When it comes to complex HiFi stuff, I just suddenly feel this weird ennui and nervousness around it.
I blame the vast majority of mastering engineers in most genres (outside of, essentially, film scores and classical) for the compression of dynamics in the vast majority of recordings. When the music we listen to itself is not "hi-fi", it doesn't matter how good your gear is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I have very little idea what any of that meant... but as long as it makes you happy, sounds good to me.

I have a feeling you've spent a lot of time on www.audiosciencereview.com?
Tbh, no, although I've come across it at times while looking for equipment measurements. Seems to be a decent site.

Most of what I've learned would have been from diyaudio.com and the parts-express tech-talk forums, along with dozens of industry white papers and a few books written by industry pros

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-18-2023 at 08:59 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I blame the vast majority of mastering engineers in most genres (outside of, essentially, film scores and classical) for the compression of dynamics in the vast majority of recordings. When the music we listen to itself is not "hi-fi", it doesn't matter how good your gear is.

Tbh, no, although I've come across it at times while looking for equipment measurements. Seems to be a decent site.

Most of what I've learned would have been from diyaudio.com and the parts-express tech-talk forums, along with dozens of industry white papers and a few books written by industry pros
Yeah I got to the point where it was like "what is the point of buying all this equipment and the records are extremely expensive as well". There was a window where you could still get them for a bargain but the vinyl revival just killed that.

Everything is also mastered to the limits of compression (audio engineering) as well as data compression (streaming services), so there's no hidden magic to be revealed as you invest further into equipment.

This was a hobby I was really into around the mid 2010s but its really collected a bit of dust for me now. I also moved and records are PIA to move! Who knew a bunch of carbon discs would be so heavy!

As I mentioned above, I find myself using my Airpods Pro 2 more than any of my hifi when listening now. It is just connected and the same experience no matter where you are, I can walk around my home doing chores and the experience is the same. With Hi Fi you need to sit in the right place in front of your speakers and get the right soundstage.

I still really love the idea of hard assets and all the physical technology and the heritage and analog experience of listening to something in the same way people consumed this media in decades past but its not cheap and its not convenient.

I was thinking about this today and I think I also drifted away from this hobby because I would go into hi fi shops and record stores and not really have anybody to talk to about this hobby. It's pretty niche because it is expensive and not many people want to go into it. It would be great if there was some kind of vinyl library that you should share with others but records are so fragile and most people don't take care of them.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-18-2023 at 04:02 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2023, 04:41 PM   #23
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah headphones and a good DAC + amp are truly the shortcut in this experience, lol!

I have a fiio k5 pro and a few good headphones around.. they temper the itch for sure. But I still like hearing about these hifi setups. Some really cool ones so far!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:58 PM   #24
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Yeah headphones and a good DAC + amp are truly the shortcut in this experience, lol!

I have a fiio k5 pro and a few good headphones around.. they temper the itch for sure. But I still like hearing about these hifi setups. Some really cool ones so far!
Fiio's are pretty good and the higher powered DACs can deal with high impedance headphones no problem.

The only thing I don't like about the modern mp3 is the battery life is kinda meh. I remember the Cowon players lasting almost a week or two of regular daily listening with ear buds. The Fiio and modern mp3 players only last a couple days of regular listening.

On a side note, I bought my dad a Sony LSPX-S3 glass all directional speaker. It's surprisingly good. It feels like I'm shedding both HiFi and DAC + Headphones long term for music and going with higher quality portable speakers. But I have increased my headphone usage for gaming/movies.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:09 PM   #25
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

The k5 Pro was my second choice after the iFi. It's a little cheaper but the Zen DAC has a few extra features I like.

I rarely listen to records anymore. I have a Plex server with my entire music library that is too handy. Headphones are my #1 way to listen to music. I even wear them to bed.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #26
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oooh...a HiFi Thread!! Woo hoo!

HiFi listening room:
Naim Superuniti
Rega Planar 3 / Moon 110 LP Phono Preamp / Moving Magnet
Fidelity Acoustic Speakers

Other listening:
Bluesound Node 2i ... streams to both Superuniti/Speakers and to....
Bluesound Pulse 2i in the living area for general background music

Sources:
Vinyl - mostly high quality classical and old rock unavailable in other formats
Ripped / Hi Res streams
Quobuz, some Amazon Music
Radio Paradise
TV/movies also stream through the Superuniti to the big speakers

One of the reasons I'm quite happy to watch Flames games on mute, with audio entertainment through the main system while watching. Best of both worlds. No Hrudey or talking heads and ads. :-)
Old 10-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #27
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't realize there were so many Naim fans on CP. I wish I could afford more of their stuff, because they sure make some sweet equipment.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #28
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Didn't realize there were so many Naim fans on CP. I wish I could afford more of their stuff, because they sure make some sweet equipment.
I have been a big Naim fan due to my a Dad having a great setup years ago that he ended up selling when the family ran in to some difficult financial times. We now listen together at my place and both just love the how high quality their products are.

If I can convince myself to drop the money on them...I might just pick up the cd transport and entry level streamer to finish off my system.

Last edited by Since1984; 11-01-2023 at 09:35 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2023, 09:36 AM   #29
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I decided to grab a WiiM Pro Plus to hold me over until I can justify a more expensive purchase.

I should have it today sometime and will provide my thoughts on the highly rated budget streamer.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #30
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I decided to grab a WiiM Pro Plus to hold me over until I can justify a more expensive purchase.

I should have it today sometime and will provide my thoughts on the highly rated budget streamer.
Nice choice. I kind of regret getting the IFI Zen Blue (a bluetooth DAC) over getting a proper wifi streamer. However the Zen Blue jives well with and old LG phone I have that streams via LDAC bluetooth. It's good, but it's still bluetooth. The letdown on the zen blue is it basically doesn't have any inputs.. it's made as a bluetooth dac and that's it.
Old 11-02-2023, 02:22 PM   #31
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice choice. I kind of regret getting the IFI Zen Blue (a bluetooth DAC) over getting a proper wifi streamer. However the Zen Blue jives well with and old LG phone I have that streams via LDAC bluetooth. It's good, but it's still bluetooth. The letdown on the zen blue is it basically doesn't have any inputs.. it's made as a bluetooth dac and that's it.
So far so good with the WiiM Pro Plus. One of the reasons I decided to go with WiiM was two-fold, the platform and how flexible it is and the ability to add a better external DAC at a later date.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 11:26 AM   #32
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I upgraded my turntable to a Rega P3 with a Ortofon 2m Bronze cartridge.

Grabbed it used in pristine operating order with less than 200 hours on the cartridge for $800 all in. I will be upgrading the PSU to the Rega Neo mk2 as well, all for under what it would have cost me too get into a new Planar 3.

I love this new piece to my entry level system.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:09 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm having a lot trouble finding a 1/4" stereo adapter that will work with TRRS 3.5mm (4 segment) headphones like the kind that would come with your cellphone. It would help a lot with using my computer headphones with my amp
Old 02-14-2024, 12:15 PM   #34
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I upgraded my turntable to a Rega P3 with a Ortofon 2m Bronze cartridge.

Grabbed it used in pristine operating order with less than 200 hours on the cartridge for $800 all in. I will be upgrading the PSU to the Rega Neo mk2 as well, all for under what it would have cost me too get into a new Planar 3.

I love this new piece to my entry level system.
Awesome, the 2M Bronze itself is like $675 new!!!

Over boxing week, I came across and upgraded my home office to a 1979 Kenwood KD-550 "The Rock" turntable which is basically a 35 lbs turntable built on your bathroom countertop

This is going into a 1979 JVC A-X4 Super-A class amplifier with graphic equalizer.

I have a variety of cartridges for it, my best is only the 2M Blue but I have a headshell holder for all the ones I switch between. The next upgrade in quality would probably be AT-VM95ML (Audio Technica microline)

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-14-2024 at 12:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 03:56 PM   #35
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm having a lot trouble finding a 1/4" stereo adapter that will work with TRRS 3.5mm (4 segment) headphones like the kind that would come with your cellphone. It would help a lot with using my computer headphones with my amp
You might have more luck doing it this way, with 2 adapters:

https://www.schiit.com/trrs
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:38 AM   #36
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My dad's an audiophile, so half the items I actually got through him when he upgraded his set up, so it's a bit of a mish mash of items. I bought my turntable, CD player, and DAC.

Speakers: ProAc Response 2.5
Pre-amp: Rogue Audio RP1
Amp: Canary 300B
DAC: Moon 380D
CD Player: Moon 260D
Turntable: Oracle Origine with the Ortofon Bronze
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:47 PM   #37
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
My dad's an audiophile, so half the items I actually got through him when he upgraded his set up, so it's a bit of a mish mash of items. I bought my turntable, CD player, and DAC.

you win this thread
Old 02-15-2024, 08:54 PM   #38
Kaine
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Currently in a bedroom so limited space has forced a downsize.

Speakers: Kef R3 Meta
Subwoofers: 2X SVS SB2000 Pro
DAC: Topping D70 Pro Sabre
Amplifier: Buckeye HypexNCx500 2 Channel
Source is a PC running DIRAC Live W/ Bass Control

Setup once the media room is finished:

Same hardware but R3 Meta's will go to HT rear speaker duty and be replaced with Kef Blade One Meta's (already ordered).
Possible amplifier upgrade once Purifi's new 1ET9040BA modules become available if the Hypex modules prove insufficient for the Blades.
Possible addition of a third or fourth subwoofer if room proves to have too much bass localization.

Forgot the Headphone setup:

DAC: Topping D30Pro
Amplifier: Topping A30Pro
Headphones: Many, current favorite: Dan Clarke Expanse

I am quite cheap with everything in my life except audio, I have a problem...

Last edited by Kaine; 02-15-2024 at 09:00 PM.
Kaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kaine For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2024, 08:02 AM   #39
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaine View Post
Currently in a bedroom so limited space has forced a downsize.

Speakers: Kef R3 Meta
Subwoofers: 2X SVS SB2000 Pro
DAC: Topping D70 Pro Sabre
Amplifier: Buckeye HypexNCx500 2 Channel
Source is a PC running DIRAC Live W/ Bass Control

Setup once the media room is finished:

Same hardware but R3 Meta's will go to HT rear speaker duty and be replaced with Kef Blade One Meta's (already ordered).
Possible amplifier upgrade once Purifi's new 1ET9040BA modules become available if the Hypex modules prove insufficient for the Blades.
Possible addition of a third or fourth subwoofer if room proves to have too much bass localization.

Forgot the Headphone setup:

DAC: Topping D30Pro
Amplifier: Topping A30Pro
Headphones: Many, current favorite: Dan Clarke Expanse

I am quite cheap with everything in my life except audio, I have a problem...
Had to google a couple of these.. omg the KEF blades..
Old 02-16-2024, 09:26 AM   #40
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

Same here, though I got Dad's vintage gear when he downsized to smaller house. I didn't get the audiophile gene but it was important to him that I inherit it so it's all currently sitting in my office (no room at my own home).

McIntosh C26 pre amp
McIntosh MC2505 power amp
JBL Olympus C50 SR8 speakers or Sovereign speakers (wide floor cabinets anyway, not sure which exact model)

This system sure played a lot of Neil Diamond in it's day. Not likely I'll ever live in a place where I can use it so probably I'll sell it after my dad is gone.

edit: After a bit of research I think the JBL speaker components are C50 SR8. The enclosures are either original JBL Olympus with replaced grills, or made to very closely resemble Olympus (still very nice with oiled walnut finish). Looks like JBL made enclosure plans available.

Last edited by BloodFetish; 02-16-2024 at 01:02 PM.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote