Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #41
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This is truly no different than any other thing you buy. Typically, the more expensive thing will be better than the cheaper thing (up to a point). Get what you can afford.
Yeah, honestly it's no different from hockey dads getting suckered into buying high end sticks for their kids (which they promptly hacksaw so they can impress all their buddies when they break it with their huge clapper). We all have our things that we nerd out about and impose on our kids, but the rule of diminishing returns definitely comes into play.

Luckily Calgary hosts enough bike nerds that the used market in quality kid bikes is pretty lively. IMO it's the best of both worlds. Kids get to learn on something that doesn't fight them, and you can pretty much rent them for free if you're willing to put up with the hassle of Kijiji.

Quick plug for a good friend, hope this is not offside as I've seen him mentioned on the forum before. I rode busted-@$$ hunks of junk as a kid, but if people are actually worried about kids safety and lack expertise, Andy @ bicycle repair hub is an awesome guy that will give any bike a good once over.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #42
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLicker View Post
I think the idea that the CT/Walmart bike is going to maim your kid or something is maybe a bit aggressive, with a little elbow grease and due diligence they can be OK, if inefficient and a bit frustrating to ride. I do agree that the used high end kids bike market in Calgary is awesome.
You're likely right about me being a bit dramatic about lower quality bikes. But I had 2 major bike failures before age 11. Snapped a frame on my way to school in grade 3 ("Free spirit" brand - top tube just behind the head tube weld snapped) and in grade 5 (rear triangle snapped - but I had no business bombing down bowmont park on a CCM commuter bike). I was pretty dinged up both times and just can't trust the lower quality bikes.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #43
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine most (or a lot) of us had huge heavy ####ty bikes as a kid and didn’t care or even notice. What makes you think a kid would now?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends where you grew up? All of the streets in my part growing up in Kelowna were flat. I could ride anywhere on my heavy bike with a single gear.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #45
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
You're likely right about me being a bit dramatic about lower quality bikes. But I had 2 major bike failures before age 11. Snapped a frame on my way to school in grade 3 ("Free spirit" brand - top tube just behind the head tube weld snapped) and in grade 5 (rear triangle snapped - but I had no business bombing down bowmont park on a CCM commuter bike). I was pretty dinged up both times and just can't trust the lower quality bikes.
This entire topic is hilarious. Do you remember what Katie said to you in kindergarten when you wet your pants too? Are you still mad at her?

They are kids. Their lives will not be over if they don't get $500 bikes.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #46
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Fellow parents

I’m looking for recommendations for the best places to buy children’s bikes. Here’s what I’m looking for

1. Knowledgeable staff that can help with sizing and quality
2. Midrange pricing. Not looking for professional cycles here just decent quality that will last a few years

A bit about the family..... kids are turning 8 and 5 this summer. My oldest can just learned to ride 2 wheel at the end of last summer, and needs a bigger bike now. My youngest will be getting his first bike with training wheels. Do you all recommend getting bikes with handle bar breaks at this age? I found that my oldest struggled braking with her first bike, which was a “peddle backwards” breaking bike.

Really just looking for something to ride around the community. Also probably going to get a new one myself so adult recomendations are also welcome.

Thanks for the help!
I've daughters as well (now 10 and 7) and have been through this several times...

Decent bikes for that age group (these are 'girls' bikes but equivalent 'boys' models are available):
GT Laguna 12" or 16" (was available at sportchek - apparently now called the 'Siren')
Trek Mystic 16" or 20" (now called the pre-calibre)
Norco Mermaid (12, 16 or 20")

All of those bikes should be $300 or less but provide good enough quality to last through your oldest, be handed down to your younger and then have some value when you go to sell it after your youngest grows through.

Norco's and Treks are widely available at the bike shops around town.

In fact, i have a well worn Laguna (but still decent) that I'll be looking to dispose of this spring that may fit your youngest.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote