Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2017, 10:56 AM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how but it needs to happen now for it to make sense...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #22
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Who's the replacement?
I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving is already interviewing candidates, or at least making plans. He's shown himself to be well-aware of the problems of the team was facing and quietly goes about addressing them. i.e. last year's bottom-3 defensemen; the goaltending issues over the summer, etc.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #23
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you give him this game tonight; if the Flames come out and win you keep him on. Keep him on a short leash for the next stretch of games, if we come out with any piss-poor efforts, he gets the ax. I'd say do that over the next ten games and then lengthen the leash a bit if we're looking like a decent team.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #24
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving is already interviewing candidates, or at least making plans. He's shown himself to be well-aware of the problems of the team was facing and quietly goes about addressing them. i.e. last year's bottom-3 defensemen; the goaltending issues over the summer, etc.
This is my thinking as well. I’m not sold on firing gulutzan, but the fact that flames management have been so quiet lately despite the team’s on ice struggles makes me think something is in the works. Whether it’s a trade or a coaching change.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #25
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Gulutzan were removed I suspect we'd see Cameron take over for a spell with Gelinas coming back down to assist until they sorted it all out. Then it would be up to the new coach to bring in his own people or leave well enough alone until the end of the year.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would have to happen now in order for it to make sense.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #27
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

the how is the easy part, the better question is how soon
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Call Donald Trump, and ask him to do it on the Flames behalf

The sad part is that he'd probably do it.

Anyways, we all know that the best way is just dont guy Glen a ticket home from the road trip. When they're all boarding the plane he just wont have a ticket and cant get on.

Make some poor airport attendant deal with it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Just about anyone who would be considered for the job is already under contract and coaching elsewhere or being paid by another team not to be coaching.

I doubt there is a team at any level who would allow there current coach to leave in the middle of a season.

If, and its a big if, Gulutzan were to be terminated, the replacement would have to come from within. At least until seasons end.

I still don't think it happens though. BT is going to give Gulutzan more than a 100 or so games to get things right. BT is patient if nothing else.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #31
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Coaches not working but being paid out (ie: Sutter) can have permission granted for them to speak to interested teams.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:45 AM   #32
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Just about anyone who would be considered for the job is already under contract and coaching elsewhere or being paid by another team not to be coaching.

I doubt there is a team at any level who would allow there current coach to leave in the middle of a season.

If, and its a big if, Gulutzan were to be terminated, the replacement would have to come from within. At least until seasons end.

I still don't think it happens though. BT is going to give Gulutzan more than a 100 or so games to get things right. BT is patient if nothing else.
I don't necessarily like it, but do agree with this.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM   #33
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beat him with a pipe, hinting that it doesn't stop until he willfully resigns. This way he doesn't even need to be fired. That way future applicants will think highly of the Flames' organization, knowing the coach left on his own free will.

Also make sure to do this in front of his wife and children. Since GG will not want them to see him suffer, he will resign likely after the 2nd or 3rd wack of the pipe.

Broadcast this on SN, as they will cut away immediately after so no one sees the aftermath and no one can talk about it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow even with green text that's gross and way over the top.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #35
Gunkle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hire TIPPETT!!!!!

Wish we did 10 years ago!
Gunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkle View Post
Hire TIPPETT!!!!!

Wish we did 10 years ago!
No thanks

The guy who missed the playoffs 5 years in a row, and mailed in his last season and bailed.

No thanks

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 12:15 PM   #37
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I kind of share that thinking but the Hamonic trade throws a wrench into things. Is Treliving willing to take the egg on his face if that first round pick is a lottery pick that could turn into a very high pick? I feel there may be some urgency in a year where they traded a lot of their draft picks to make the playoffs and if by January this team is on the outside looking in and the same defensive issues exist his hand may be forced.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #38
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Why do we think that Darryl has any interest in coming back to coach here at all?

He's won his cups, he's a mega millionaire, what's his motivation to drop everything and run back to an organization that fired him.

I think its a pipe dream, I don't see GG getting fired during the season, especially since they really just replaced a coach not that long ago.

For the most part, when you fire a coach mid season, you're bringing in a interim coach probably from your current staff or from elsewhere in the organization and doing a proper search in the offseason.

Because he said himself he would still like to coach, and would be okay with coaching an up and coming team if the right situation presented itself.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #39
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would be very surprised to learn that Flames management is even thinking about this, let alone taking steps to let GG go. The fact of the matter is that letting your coaching staff go midterm almost always works out poorly - and sends the message that the inmates run the asylum. Nobody here should want this core to known as coach killers.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM   #40
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
I would be very surprised to learn that Flames management is even thinking about this, let alone taking steps to let GG go. The fact of the matter is that letting your coaching staff go midterm almost always works out poorly - and sends the message that the inmates run the asylum. Nobody here should want this core to known as coach killers.
I don't know, but Pittsburgh did it twice, I believe and they won the cup both time?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to midniteowl For This Useful Post: