Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:53 PM   #41
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a Backlund extension would really lighten the spirits around here.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 PM   #42
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey, Brouwer is on a goal scoring streak!
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #43
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The team has not found their true level and they are still over .500. I've enjoyed watching Gio's and Smith's intensity and compete level. The Jankowski story is great, the introduction of Kulak into the roster has been pleasing too.

I'm really happy with Bennett sticking to it, never losing his intensity and doggedness and him playing great of late. Jagr and pretty much all the forwards have been playing well of late.

The pieces of a great team are there - there have been flashes. Sometimes it's too easy to get caught up with emotional responses after losses . This is a fun to watch and it will get better.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #44
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

- We have solid young players in Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and Ferland who all look to be having career years
- The play of youngsters Jankowski, Bennett (sans the start) and Kulak has been encouraging
- Vets Backlund and Smith are making a difference as key contributors to the team
- A legend is likely going to finish out his career as a Flame and will likely have an impact on the younger core for years to come
- Dube, Anderssson, Valimaki, Fox, Kylington and Mangiapane all look to be trending towards becoming NHLers. Dark horses in Klimchuk, Poirier, Wotherspoon and Foo could do so as well (I actually think Dube is our most NHL ready forward prospect - kid would be an upgrade on 4-5 players on the current roster - only issue may be strength?)
- We have solid goaltending depth in Smith, Rittich, Gillies and Parsons
- Our d-core has played nowhere near its potential so one would think it should improve
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #45
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they are playing a simpler game and in general as a team things are looking better. Big 3 out of 4 points picked up on the road trip.

I think it is also worth mentioning that since the Detroit game, the PK is 89.65% through 11 games. We allowed more in that one game (4) than we have over the last 11 games (3).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM   #46
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need to go 29-18-6 to reach 96 Points.

That should be easy for this club to do.

To get 100 Points
31-16-6
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM   #47
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first time I ever played NHL ninety-something (cue cheesy 8-bit music), I couldn't score because I hadn't figured out the controls and kept pressing the ‘pass’ button instead of ‘shoot’.

Now that Bennett has figured out the controls, it looks like we have nine legitimate top-nine forwards. It's been a long time since I could say that with any confidence. Kulak has been mighty impressive, too. And holy moly, we finally got ourselves a goalie.

Furthermore, this thread is a godsend after weeks of nonstop negativity. It's a shame I can only thank the OP once.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #48
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isikiz View Post
We ended the Anaheim streak - if that isn't a successful season, I don't know what is.
Forgot about this, thanks for the reminder
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:56 PM   #49
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it can be stated enough how awesome it is to have Johnny back. Last year was a tough year for him, and he wore some of that duck series loss. It is obvious from his play and demeanor this year that he was determined to overcome adversity rather than succumb to it. There are some oiler fans here with the whiny Johnny face avatar... They were right to point that out. As they were right to point out the diving and over complaining to the ref.

But guess what? Those avatars are now relics. I haven't seen Johnny do a single one of those things and I legitimately believe he is in better standing with the refs because of it. And look at that, Jonny hockey jumps over yet another hurtle, dealing with the pressure and extra abuse that super star players on big money contracts receive. Some never do.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 12-09-2017, 12:03 AM   #50
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think Bennett and Janko have really complimented one another. Right now Janko is thinking pass first to get his linemates going but once he starts to unleash his shot he will be hard to stop.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:09 AM   #51
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Janko has some pretty good dekes too. Would like to see him in the next shootout.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #52
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

-We have Jaromir Jagr playing on our team.
(Memba!! how excited we were to watch a season with him in Flames silks)
-Third leading scorer in the league
(Johnny break out season)
-First line center on pace for 35+ goals
(Boring)
-A starting goaltender that has stolen games for us
(how quickly it went from not since Kipper to if you don't steal it pitch fork)

When did this team get such high expectations that that isn't enough?
Where did we get so high and mighty we expected our young team to overnight become veterans and deserve the division title?

This forum has made me really negative about this team this year, while last year they made me believe without Wideman and Elliott everything would be fine.

When did we become entitled? In this close of a league we lose a few games off of bad bounces or a give away and we turn on everything?

CalgaryPuck has turned absolutely negative this season to the point where I would watch these forums daily and during game day threads to where I can't hear all the negative S*** even after a win or a goal.

We used to take pride in being great fans. A proud place to have discussion and there is a lot of knee jerk reactions over a team that should be lucky to make the playoffs.

Sometimes you'd think we were Oilers fans from last years playoff performance and expecting the world at our hands without doing anything to deserve it.

We became an over-achieving team to an under-achieving one in a snap of a finger

Last edited by MrMike; 12-09-2017 at 02:01 AM.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #53
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
When did this team get such high expectations that that isn't enough?
Where did we get so high and mighty we expected our young team to overnight become veterans and deserve the division title?

This forum has made me really negative about this team this year, while last year they made me believe without Wideman and Elliott everything would be fine.

When did we become entitled? In this close of a league we lose a few games off of bad bounces or a give away and we turn on everything?

CalgaryPuck has turned absolutely negative this season to the point where I would watch these forums daily and during game day threads to where I can't hear all the negative S*** even after a win or a goal.

We used to take pride in being great fans. A proud place to have discussion and there is a lot of knee jerk reactions over a team that should be lucky to make the playoffs.

Sometimes you'd think we were Oilers fans from last years playoff performance and expecting the world at our hands without doing anything to deserve it.

We became an over-achieving team to an under-achieving one in a snap of a finger
This is not the thread for long complaints about everything you don't like.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 03:55 AM   #54
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

David Rittich is looking solid as a backup goaltender and my daughter and I watched him from the 6th row get his first NHL start and win!
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #55
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably happiest I've ever been with our roster. I think they've only shown glimpses of just how good they can be.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #56
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Stockton remains second in their division despite 4 prospects making a successful transition to Flames club!

Prospect pool deep especially on defense and goal.
Just need a sniper right shot winger.

We have a backup goalie!

Jagr the teacher! His video teaching Bennett remains my favourite of the year.

Janko/Bennett third line chemistry could make line matching a nightmare for other teams. They will only get better...

Cap management for at least next 2 years under control with core to remain intact. Cap structure sound with appropriate proportion of dollars spread amongst forwards, defense and goalies groupings.

Johhny, Mony under contract for 5 more years in our current contender window.

Suspect we have seen the peak of selling picks for top9F, top4D, 1G players to round out our team for this contender window.

We will soon start to collect picks again as we trade from positional strength in order to retool on the fly to prolong our current contender window. One or two of our top 4D likely to be traded for picks or right shot sniper within 2-3 years as D prospects emerge. Valimaki and at least one of Kylington/Anderson/Fox trending to be top 4 material.

BT is a wizard and the most hard working GM in the game regardless of what some CP posters says. We wont get everything right (Raymond, Brouwer, Elliott) but so many solid moves (Rittich, Hamilton, Stone, Frolik, Smith).

I think the negative shift in tone on CP this year is simply extremely high expectations since we know the ship has a great captain and should be at full steam ahead by now! Its just taking a bit longer for those engines to warm up. As Burkie says. You have walk before you run!
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #57
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I choose to be optimistic about tonight's game.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #58
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I said a couple years ago when it looked like we were set down the middle with Monahan/Backlund/Bennett/Stajan that if Jankowski ever turned into anything at the NHL level we'd be laughing.

Janko has started to show flashes of dominance out there, and I really like how Bennett has played on the wing as a result, especially with Janko. Great chemistry so far.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #59
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

good juju thread
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #60
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread needed a bump. Flames beat the Hawks last night and the doom and gloom crowd continue to flood the board with their pessimism. You would think by the way a lot of the posts on here are worded that we had the Coyotes record instead of still being right in the thick of things. The team has played well lately, the results have not been as good as they should be but if they keep putting in the work they will start winning games. We are going to make the playoffs folks, believe in your team! GFG!
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post: