Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #1301
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

did this just happen with the new firmware or has it been a thing for awhile?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #1302
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was some talk about 3rd party docks causing some problems but I haven't looked at it in detail.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #1303
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah - started happened around a week ago (maybe 2 weeks, can't really remember), but I think it was around the time I did the software update. I'm pretty sure I'm on 5.0.0 now. The only dock I use is the one that came with the Switch, so doubtful it's a 3rd party issue. Just so weird because it runs fine as soon as you hit the power button.

EDIT: Can I roll the system back maybe? See if that fixes the issue and then I know it's related to the firmware update?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #1304
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Given update 5.0 was designed to update security and frustrate hacking efforts, I would place the odds on your being able to roll back the update at around 0%.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 PM   #1305
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried taking the cartridge out and blowing in the bottom of it?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #1306
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Have you tried taking the cartridge out and blowing in the bottom of it?
Everyone knows you have to lick the Switch carts to clean them.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #1307
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, I tried everything suggest in this thread and more (including an initialization of the Switch without deleting saved data, screenshots, etc.) and it still has the same issue. Looks like it'll be a call to Nintendo tonight and I'll have to send it off. I'm thinking I'll be okay for save data as the Switch continues to run fine after every reboot, so they can likely port my data if a whole new Switch is required.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #1308
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hori is making a controller with a dpad. Loses a lot of functionality though. Would still just do the surgery on the custom parts tbh.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999902/20180322029/
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #1309
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Welp - just got the email from Nintendo saying that my save data cannot be preserved in order to fix my switch. Extremely disappointing and I'm not sure I understand why as I could still use my save data when the error message was coming up. I hadn't made it too far in Zelda, so that's not the end of the world, but my wife and I were at 600 moons and counting, and I'm not sure she'll want to recollect all of those again.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:18 AM   #1310
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like they should be able to transfer the data to another Switch, then fix yours, and transfer it all back.

Seems weird.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #1311
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I feel like they should be able to transfer the data to another Switch, then fix yours, and transfer it all back.

Seems weird.
Given Nintendo's track record with online services, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but here I am...that's just brutal!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #1312
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah, I called in to ask why since I figured it would be pretty easy to retain the data, but they didn't have much info other than they couldn't recover it. They told me save data is one of the most important things they try to retain, so the fact that it was lost meant that it really wasn't recoverable. Not sure I fully buy that, but I'm pretty much SOL.

Has definitely soured my feelings on the Switch. Only good news is maybe I'll get to try out Odyssey as a single player since my wife is unlikely to collect everything again. I only ever played two player mode and I imagine its a bit different just one player.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #1313
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
There was some talk about 3rd party docks causing some problems but I haven't looked at it in detail.
So yeah . . . DO NOT USE 3RD PARTY DOCKS OR CHARGERS. GET RID OF THEM. SELL THEM, WHATEVER.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...and_overdraws/

"The +Nintendo​ Switch Dock #USB #TypeC power supply is not USB-PD spec compliant. As a result it does not "play nice" with other #USBC devices. This means you should strongly consider only using the Nintendo Switch Dock adapter only with the Nintendo Switch (and Dock).

Additionally, it also seems the Nintendo Switch Dock does not "play nice" with other USB-PD chargers. This means you're forced to use a Nintendo-brand power supply."
Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #1314
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

That is pretty bad on Nintendo's part. No wonder people are wary of USB-C when companies keep doing crap like this.

So how does that work for portable USB-C chargers? Argh...
Old 04-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #1315
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
So how does that work for portable USB-C chargers? Argh...
It doesn't?

I think the whole problem is that the 3rd party attachments can provide more power than the console can handle and basically fry it.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:59 PM   #1316
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pre-ordered one of those Nyko brand docks, but thankfully orders started shipping to US customers before Canadian ones, and there were some frightening early reviews about Switches being fried, etc. So I cancelled my pre-order, and I am glad that I did.

My wife then went and overspent on an official dock as a Christmas present, but it does give me more peace of mind. But the Nintendo price really is absurd. It sure is nice being able to move it from room to room, especially because the majority of the time we are using it docked.

I did charge mine using a 2.4a 5v wall charger (your typical tablet plug) and a USB-C cord over the summer while travelling, and everything seemed to be fine. My hope is that the lower power of that charging method would mean that it is safer than the high-powered dock charger (which is 15 volts and 3 amps, if memory serves). But I'll admit that I'm not as confident anymore.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #1317
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I did charge mine using a 2.4a 5v wall charger (your typical tablet plug) and a USB-C cord over the summer while travelling, and everything seemed to be fine. My hope is that the lower power of that charging method would mean that it is safer than the high-powered dock charger (which is 15 volts and 3 amps, if memory serves). But I'll admit that I'm not as confident anymore.
It sounds like the issue mainly comes from calling up the wrong amperage and voltage, so at least underserving the switch is better. Since the Switch runs harder when docked, the issue is when it is in docked mode more than running on portable mode and being charged. I'm no expert at this stuff but after reading all those Google+ links in the reddit post I'm inclined to think you were okay while travelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #1318
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
It sounds like the issue mainly comes from calling up the wrong amperage and voltage, so at least underserving the switch is better. Since the Switch runs harder when docked, the issue is when it is in docked mode more than running on portable mode and being charged. I'm no expert at this stuff but after reading all those Google+ links in the reddit post I'm inclined to think you were okay while travelling.
That's the gist that I'm getting from reading some of the stuff as well. The issue seems to be with USB-C PD (power delivery), which is a whole different ballgame compared with the typical pre-USB-C charging methods.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:54 PM   #1319
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You dodged a bullet. Nyko docks are the ones I see called out the most for bricking Switches.

It's really annoying Nintendo did it this way. Wanting to force you into proprietary devices is both dumb and expected - but I wish they wouldn't have used a USB-C connector in that case. Just far too much risk of problems.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #1320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You dodged a bullet. Nyko docks are the ones I see called out the most for bricking Switches.

It's really annoying Nintendo did it this way. Wanting to force you into proprietary devices is both dumb and expected - but I wish they wouldn't have used a USB-C connector in that case. Just far too much risk of problems.
They probably should have followed the protocols. Then again, I also have a hard time blaming them for 3rd party accessories. They can't test them all for third parties and they are certainly not branded as Nintendo.

If anything, I'd say the individual third parties should have done the proper testing on their product.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: