Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #1841
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you seen the size of that document??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #1842
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
When the full change over occurs is hard to say, I think it will be sooner then you obviously, but it is a inevitability. When it does happen it'll be the professional drivers who go first with the personal vehicles being the lingering ones on the road.

Say you're a cab company or a long haul trucking company, one of your biggest expenses(salary), your biggest risk(accidents/maintenance) and biggest limitation(shift lengths) can all be eliminated by removing the driver, you're going to be one of the first people to get in line.
Yes but there is no way you remove the drive until autonomous cars have a 100% safety rate without incident for who knows how long. You might never get rid of them to be honest. Look at train engineers or pilots.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:16 PM   #1843
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It's not the size of the doc that matters, it's how you use it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #1844
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I did... only got part way before I just read the conclusions
Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #1845
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Says the guy that stated 'we've accomplished pretty much everything when it comes to science.' This is hilarious!
I could have swore that was Sliver.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #1846
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I could have swore that was Sliver.
it was definitely peter.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 AM   #1847
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oil up for no reason today. After the Russia/Saudi talks fall apart its going to crash back down. But if Russia/Saudi can keep juicing the prices with fake optimism its good for us.

But we're almost in double meat territory.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #1848
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Oil up for no reason today. After the Russia/Saudi talks fall apart its going to crash back down. But if Russia/Saudi can keep juicing the prices with fake optimism its good for us.

But we're almost in double meat territory.
This is pretty funny logic. Oil going up is bearish? Oil going up "for no reason" is very bullish. Even more bullish is when oil shrugs off large inventory builds to keep going up. It's a sign the market is looking past the supply glut and realizing that we could be in an under-supplied market as soon as this year. Obviously it could come back down and/or bounce around the mid-30s all year. But WTI rallying back above $37 is undoubtedly a good sign, even if it doesn't fit your personal narrative that the recent highs are based on "fake" optimism out of OPEC.

Things are looking a lot more constructive in terms of balancing the market. US production is down for the 4th consecutive week, first time since the shale boom. Watch production fall off significantly as non-OPEC activity is at levels we haven't seen since the early 1980s. Price is recognizing this and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we ended 2016 in the 50s on WTI.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #1849
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
This is pretty funny logic. Oil going up is bearish? Oil going up "for no reason" is very bullish. Even more bullish is when oil shrugs off large inventory builds to keep going up. It's a sign the market is looking past the supply glut and realizing that we could be in an under-supplied market as soon as this year. Obviously it could come back down and/or bounce around the mid-30s all year. But WTI rallying back above $37 is undoubtedly a good sign, even if it doesn't fit your personal narrative that the recent highs are based on "fake" optimism out of OPEC.

Things are looking a lot more constructive in terms of balancing the market. US production is down for the 4th consecutive week, first time since the shale boom. Watch production fall off significantly as non-OPEC activity is at levels we haven't seen since the early 1980s. Price is recognizing this and I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we ended 2016 in the 50s on WTI.
Further to your point, I read in an article last week that the rig count in the U.S. is at its lowest point in recorded history. Some speculate that it may be at its lowest point since the Pennsylvania oil boom of the late 1800's.

Pretty stunning when you actually sit back and think about the implications.

The Permian basin has also rolled over; rig counts under 200 in the area, last major U.S. basin not to be in a declining profile....things are setting up for a period of material out performance in the future.

If all you do is read the Bloomberg, BNN, CNN, etc. etc. headlines, you are missing what the numbers are pointing to.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 AM   #1850
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

other rig charts here:
http://www.wtrg.com/rotaryrigs.html
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #1851
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It depends on your belief if Iran can soak up all the US supply reduction and if you see shale supply coming back at 40ish short term on uncompleted wells. I would understand long term futures being quite high creating contango to eat up current supplies. But for April delivery when US storage is 88% full and still producing at 500k per day extra supply shouldn't be going anywhere.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #1852
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

WTI close to $40. Should I spend money on a double meat?
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:30 AM   #1853
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
WTI close to $40. Should I spend money on a double meat?
Yes, AND extra cheese.
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #1854
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Short covering that's all. Fundamentals still suck. Will revisit mid twenties sometime in the near term.
BrownDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #1855
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would someone cover if they believed it would go back to the bottom again?
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #1856
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Why would someone cover if they believed it would go back to the bottom again?
Because those people covering see less downside than short term upside and they are locking in gains. We are probably in a bottoming process. This is not 2008/9 where you will see a V shaped oil recovery, this is a fundamental supply/demand imbalance oil price collapse. Before the all clear is sounded you will likely see a re-test of the lows or a higher low in the low 30's or high 20's. We probably eventually see oil recover to the mid forties by year end if US and other Non-OPEC production shows significant declines.

OPEC has not gone through this pain and the burning their cash reserves to see world rig counts recover - they are attempting to stabilize the price not make it go higher to save these producers.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #1857
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Margin calls can be painful for shorts. Even if the long term thesis is believed in, the ability to see the trade through can be limited by available liquidity.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 03-07-2016 at 01:22 PM.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #1858
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
Because those people covering see less downside than short term upside and they are locking in gains. We are probably in a bottoming process. This is not 2008/9 where you will see a V shaped oil recovery, this is a fundamental supply/demand imbalance oil price collapse. Before the all clear is sounded you will likely see a re-test of the lows or a higher low in the low 30's or high 20's. We probably eventually see oil recover to the mid forties by year end if US and other Non-OPEC production shows significant declines.

OPEC has not gone through this pain and the burning their cash reserves to see world rig counts recover - they are attempting to stabilize the price not make it go higher to save these producers.
I don't really disagree with anything you said here, though I would think most long term shorts have already locked in gains and if your thesis of a short squeeze is correct, it's because they're getting margin called after getting their faces ripped off in the last 2 weeks like ^ just posted. Not because they're locking in gains.

I'd also mention that we have already re-tested the mid-20s lows and bounced hard from there to form a pretty textbook "W" double bottom. Previously every re-test of the lows failed so there is a real distinct change in behaviour here. But you're right we could test mid 20s again to form a triple bottom, I personally think that's pretty unlikely and the lows are in.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #1859
BrownDrake
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I don't really disagree with anything you said here, though I would think most long term shorts have already locked in gains and if your thesis of a short squeeze is correct, it's because they're getting margin called after getting their faces ripped off in the last 2 weeks like ^ just posted. Not because they're locking in gains.

I'd also mention that we have already re-tested the mid-20s lows and bounced hard from there to form a pretty textbook "W" double bottom. Previously every re-test of the lows failed so there is a real distinct change in behaviour here. But you're right we could test mid 20s again to form a triple bottom, I personally think that's pretty unlikely and the lows are in.
My comment was oversimplified for sure. Probably the majority of short covering or margin calls occurred from $29 to $32. Some of those same traders could be long right now in addition to others. Most of these contracts aren't held in either direction for very long. Oil is probably range bound $30 to $40 until fundamentals suggest a break out in either direction, ie. big draws on inventory or production declines or conversely a weakening of demand or slowing global economies. Very big resistance to overtake at $40 range, if it can break $40 its probably going to $45 in hurry. Problem longs have in the near term is there is no change in fundamentals, just less pessimism and the trade probably got too crowded.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #1860
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownDrake View Post
My comment was oversimplified for sure. Probably the majority of short covering or margin calls occurred from $29 to $32. Some of those same traders could be long right now in addition to others. Most of these contracts aren't held in either direction for very long. Oil is probably range bound $30 to $40 until fundamentals suggest a break out in either direction, ie. big draws on inventory or production declines or conversely a weakening of demand or slowing global economies. Very big resistance to overtake at $40 range, if it can break $40 its probably going to $45 in hurry. Problem longs have in the near term is there is no change in fundamentals, just less pessimism and the trade probably got too crowded.

There most certainly is a change in fundamentals. Non-OPEC production isn't just slowing - it's now showing a persistent declining trend and it's just the beginning. You now have major U.S. producers forecasting double digit production declines for the year 2016.