Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #41
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

She didn't receive a command because she couldn't hear it or read his lips to know what he wanted.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #42
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

The part that bugged me was when he controlled her (the hot blonde) over the radio early on, totally doesn't fit with the virus part. It really has bugged me since.

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 12-21-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 AM   #43
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
The part that bugged me was when he controlled her (the hot blonde) over the radio early on, totally doesn't fit with the virus part. It really has bugged me since.
The whole virus idea is completely bonkers scientifically and logically thinking. Superpowers are always better left unexplained.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #44
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did he control her over the radio??
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:52 AM   #45
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
When did he control her over the radio??
when he called in, that's why she rushed out of the building freaking out and was on edge and assaulted that dude (because she was freaking out, not because he told her to). She didn't believe the mind control thing completely until he called in and did it to her.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #46
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must have been mind controlled, because I remember him talking over the radio having no effect. It was a big deal when he controlled an entire hospital later on, and he still had to physically be there.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM   #47
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just watched the part in episode 3 where he called into the radio show and there wasn't any mind controlling. When they're leaving Jessica says to Trish that he could be sending someone over to kill her right now, then the guy touches her arm and she hits him.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #48
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I just watched the part in episode 3 where he called into the radio show and there wasn't any mind controlling. When they're leaving Jessica says to Trish that he could be sending someone over to kill her right now, then the guy touches her arm and she hits him.
I could have sworn he did, but maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention after all
Old 12-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #49
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It was way back in episode 3, so much happens after that I didn't even remember that she'd beat up a guy after that!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #50
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah. She beat the guy up because she was afraid he would send someone after her. No mind control. Now his powers are totally reasonable again.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #51
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished this today. Really enjoyed it a lot, although not quite as much as DD.

The strength of this show IMO is the supporting cast. Some very interesting characters and subplots.

One thing too, I love being able to binge a series like this. A great way to watch certain shows. I don't think I'd have liked it as much if I had to tune in every week.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #52
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finished Jessica Jones this morning: it was right up there with Daredevil in terms of quality, but it seems Carrie Ann Moss' role was completely wasted. I have no idea what the point to Hogarth was; it feels like Moss was brought-in at the 11th hour just to bulk up the cast with some name recognition. Hopefully she returns with the series and is given something to do.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #53
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I finished Jessica Jones this morning: it was right up there with Daredevil in terms of quality, but it seems Carrie Ann Moss' role was completely wasted. I have no idea what the point to Hogarth was; it feels like Moss was brought-in at the 11th hour just to bulk up the cast with some name recognition. Hopefully she returns with the series and is given something to do.
Hogarth's character in the comics was one of those supporting characters that pops up in a bunch of other heroes' stories. I imagine she will pop up in the other individual series and in The Defenders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeryn_Hogarth
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #54
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I saw it more as Carrie Ann Moss being desperate for work than Netflix looking for name recognition. Krysten Ritter, David Tennant and even Rachael Wilson have bigger name recognition than Moss these days.

Also, I don't agree the character of Hogarth was pointless as the show needed a lawyer character and an employer of Jessica. It initially felt like they were setting her up to possibly be the baddie in season 2 so I guess I was a little disappointed in the payoff of the divorce subplot though.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #55
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also didn't see Hogarth as a wasted character at all. IMO she had a rather prominent role in the series. I thought the relationship of Jones and Hogarth was among the most interesting ones. It was complicated and not easily defined, but had obvious and very natural reasons for existing.

Both could do for the other what they couldn't do themselves, and they were both people who frequently needed that kind of help. They weren't exactly friends, but not really enemies either. And there was some clear mutual respect. Essentially a very authentic human relationship that I think was used effectively to show a certain ruthless side of Jessicas personality.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:28 AM   #56
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished this last night. Watched it cause I felt I had to before watching the Defenders. Much better than I thought. I'll echo what others said, Kilgrave was an awesome bad guy. Perfect guy to play the roll and he played it well. He was the best part of the show IMO. I sure didn't like how his mind control worked. The virus things is beyond dumb. When he broke out of his holding chamber and shouted for Jessicas lawyer to stop when she was in her car, no way that would have worked if his abilities are virus based, no where near close enough to "infect" her.

Other than that, loved the way he used his abilities. When they were at Jessicas old house and he got her neighbour to admit she was just talking to make herself feel big, that was great. In a way, too bad he had to be a bad guy. A good guy with those abilities would be an asset as demonstrated in the hostage situation.

After watching Luke Cage, it was nice to see a hero that had vulnerabilities. Enjoyed the show but not disappointed it's over, especially with the defenders up next.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #57
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jessica Jones and Daredevil S1 are twin jewels in the Defenders Netflix canon
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #58
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our whisky drinking super hero is back!
I think I'll rip through season 1 again before taking up season 2.
Pretty excited for this!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #59
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished defenders a month ago. Can’t wait for season 2 of JJ!!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #60
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
Just finished defenders a month ago. Can’t wait for season 2 of JJ!!
My condolences on watching the Defenders. It was horrible IMO, worse than Iron Fist.

I definitely liked JJ but have soured on these a little.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote