Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #3581
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
No guns, no gun violence. Pretty simple equation. Too bad this concept is lost on some people.
How would banning guns completely remove them from the hands of criminals and stop cross-border smuggling?

Are we to believe that on the day a ban is announced, all the people who are currently breaking existing laws by simply being in possession of a gun would just throw their hands up in defeat and drop their guns off at the police station?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #3582
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Too bad, if you can't hit your intended target/prey in 5 shots you shouldn't be shooting a gun, if you feel the need to shoot 100 shots without reloading it means you're a crazy gun freak and you should apply for US citizenship
I'd imagine it's more of a soar spot for competition shooters. Things like 3 gun and the likes. Not so much the hunters.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM   #3583
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
How would banning guns completely remove them from the hands of criminals and stop cross-border smuggling?

Are we to believe that on the day a ban is announced, all the people who are currently breaking existing laws by simply being in possession of a gun would just throw their hands up in defeat and drop their guns off at the police station?
THIS!

100% THIS!

It's why we don't have any criminal laws, you won't completely eliminate murder, or drug overdoses, or theft. Therefore, there's no point regulating it and reducing it's numbers because it won't be completely gone. FFS people, think!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #3584
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No guns, no gun violence. Pretty simple equation. Too bad this concept is lost on some people.
Right. And no cigarettes = no cancer....
Old 10-23-2017, 11:19 AM   #3585
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

How does one make it so there are "no guns"?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #3586
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
How does one make it so there are "no guns"?
Destroy all guns. But it probably will take more than "one".
Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #3587
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
It wouldn't at all. Unless there's a way to enforce that nobody had guns. It could be a major employment program as people would have to go door to door doing surprise gun removal inspections.

It would also be a huge boost to the funeral home segment.

Remember that beyond the whole, I'm a legit gun owner who "Follows the rules" to protect my family and properti from those that don't.

Oh and if the government which is armed with guns and tanks and planes and arty becomes corrupt me and bessie my AR-15 are going to take back the government.

I used to think that if there was a tremendous act of violence that it would change some options, and after this last one it did for about 4 seconds. that people would realized that this constitutional protection of the right to bear arms is a state approved murder/suicide, but there's too much money and too many dumbasses for changes to ever occur.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #3588
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Destroy all guns. But it probably will take more than "one".
in the US alone...there are already over 300,000,000 guns in circulation.

There are dozens and dozens of countries elsewhere that manufacture them.

Not to mention there is a constitution that inherently allows and encourages guns to be in the hands of citizens.

How do you destroy them all when those facts are in existence?

Im not advocating doing nothing, but if there is to be real change it has to be a real solution.

Saying "get rid of the guns" is niether practical nor legal.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #3589
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Saying "Get rid of guns" is fun to say. Wish it would happen, but it won't.

Don't try and read too hard into this lol . . .
Old 10-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #3590
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Right. And no cigarettes = no cancer....
Umm....that might have made sense if you had said "no cigarettes = no cancer caused by cigarette smoke" instead.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #3591
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No cars, no car accidents.

No knives, no stabbings.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #3592
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

No knives, no stabbings.
no morons, no problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #3593
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a multi-generational timeline. Starting somewhere at least gives you a chance to let the numbers diminish.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #3594
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last bit of discussion has reminded me of this sequence from Injustice: Gods Among Us

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
RyZ
Old 10-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #3595
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

No knives, no stabbings.
Whilst this is true cars and knives have a useful purpose beyond giving those with low self esteem a false sense of power and security, guns on the other hand have, for almost the whole population, no useful role beyond making it easier to spot the boring idiot you need to avoid at a party, and frankly they will still wear their Ted Nugent or Trace Atkins T shirt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #3596
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good progress would be made if they simply treated guns like cars:
  • You would need to pass written and practical use tests to own a gun
  • you would need to regularly get your license renewed
  • you would need to be titled and insured (when you sell a car through a dealer or private sale you sign over the title so that person can then license and insure the gun)
  • you would be responsible for who and how your gun is being used and suffer economic and legal consequences if you are not (raised insurance rates, license suspensions etc)
  • you would research gun deaths and implement easy safety solutions that prevent a lot of harm...i.e. fingerprint grips, responsible storage etc
  • you would drive the industry to meet ever more strict public safety standards
Absolutely NONE of that interferes with someone's second amendment rights. Heck, I haven't even said ban this type of gun or this gun mod. You should also do that but the list above would do a lot to help curb things.

"oh but bad guys don't follow the law!". No they don't. But the police sure have a heck of a lot more to go on when you have a proper system in place that can actually be policed.

Then treat them like cigarettes and tax the hell out of gun purchases

Last edited by ernie; 10-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #3597
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Whilst this is true cars and knives have a useful purpose beyond giving those with low self esteem a false sense of power and security, guns on the other hand have, for almost the whole population, no useful role beyond making it easier to spot the boring idiot you need to avoid at a party, and frankly they will still wear their Ted Nugent or Trace Atkins T shirt.
Most gun owners I know are professionals working downtown. You wouldn't even know that they were a gun owner... Most people don't actually share that fact with people because of "elitist" suburban sentiments that are mimicked by your comments. In fact at my club I ran into three different people that I've worked with in the past 10 years and we laughed because none of us knew the other was into shootings sports. Never came up, nobody every talked "guns", let alone at a party.

It seems like you have a very nice image of an American redneck gun owner and project that onto Canadians. Again, US vs. Canadian gun cultures, very different.

Kind of the point I was trying to make in my earlier posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #3598
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Most gun owners I know are professionals working downtown. You wouldn't even know that they were a gun owner... Most people don't actually share that fact with people because of "elitist" suburban sentiments that are mimicked by your comments. In fact at my club I ran into three different people that I've worked with in the past 10 years and we laughed because none of us knew the other was into shootings sports. Never came up, nobody every talked "guns", let alone at a party.

It seems like you have a very nice image of an American redneck gun owner and project that onto Canadians. Again, US vs. Canadian gun cultures, very different.

Kind of the point I was trying to make in my earlier posts.
So do you believe that the non-murderous Canadian gun culture has evolved in spite of, or as a result of, Canada's treatment of guns and gun laws?

To be honest, I don't think anyone here truly believes Canadian gun culture is out of control, this is the US mass shooting thread after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #3599
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So do you believe that the non-murderous Canadian gun culture has evolved in spite of, or as a result of, Canada's treatment of guns and gun laws?

To be honest, I don't think anyone here truly believes Canadian gun culture is out of control, this is the US mass shooting thread after all.
No, not at all. Agreed, it should go back to the U.S. Mass shooting topic, don't mean to hijack the thread.

I was just responding to some comments that were made, I believe, out of lack of understanding of the Canadian gun laws and licensing requirements, and some misconceptions surrounding those. I don't like when people equate their mess to our system. I quite like most of our gun regulations, and on the record, I'd be fine with more regulation if it makes sense and it makes it harder for criminals or people with mental health issues to get guns here.

The U.S. would be much better off if they implemented a P.A.L.-type system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #3600
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Good progress would be made if they simply treated guns like cars:
  • You would need to pass written and practical use tests to own a gun
  • you would need to regularly get your license renewed
  • you would need to be titled and insured (when you sell a car through a dealer or private sale you sign over the title so that person can then license and insure the gun)
  • you would be responsible for who and how your gun is being used and suffer economic and legal consequences if you are not (raised insurance rates, license suspensions etc)
  • you would research gun deaths and implement easy safety solutions that prevent a lot of harm...i.e. fingerprint grips, responsible storage etc
  • you would drive the industry to meet ever more strict public safety standards
Absolutely NONE of that interferes with someone's second amendment rights. Heck, I haven't even said ban this type of gun or this gun mod. You should also do that but the list above would do a lot to help curb things.

"oh but bad guys don't follow the law!". No they don't. But the police sure have a heck of a lot more to go on when you have a proper system in place that can actually be policed.

Then treat them like cigarettes and tax the hell out of gun purchases
  • You would need to pass written and practical use tests to own a gun Already exists in the form of a PAL licence
  • you would need to regularly get your license renewed See Above - Already Exists
  • you would be responsible for who and how your gun is being used and suffer economic and legal consequences if you are not (raised insurance rates, license suspensions etc) This also is already a thing.
    I am subject to tickets/fines/prison depending on the result of my unsafe actions.

I personnally own 3 guns, one for hunting big game, one for hunting small birds, and one for hunting migratory birds. They are tools, pure and simple.

I have two small children who I have taught about gun safety and I trust them to understand that these are dangerous, but useful tools. I keep them double locked (trigger guard, inside of a gun safe). I store ammunition separately and safely.

I don't consider my self a gun nut, or some power hungry savage kiling machine. My opinion, gun laws around safe operation and handling are very important, and I do believe that ownership of assault type rifles needs to stay restricted, but someone that believes that 100% of guns need to be taken away and destroyed is just as extreme as the gun loving, "pry it from my cold dead hands", American.
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread