Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Sirius XM radio?

Hey so my new van came with a trial and I love it so far. How's everyones experience been so far who kept it a while? Does the novelty wear off or is thre a good value here?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Hey so my new van came with a trial and I love it so far. How's everyones experience been so far who kept it a while? Does the novelty wear off or is thre a good value here?
I've had it since it basically came out. Got the lifetime subscription, which I don't believe they offer anymore. Even if didn't have that, I would get it.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have it in both vehicles. I can't go without it.

The only negative is the signal is super spotty lately in spots where it shouldn't be.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I've had it off and on for years. The sound quality of the music isn't the greatest, although it's better if you listen to it streaming, but that costs extra.

I like having it when something newsworthy is happening so I can listen to a news station.

I've got a pretty good deal right now so I'd say the value is worth it, but the regular price is a little steep.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I've had it off and on for years. The sound quality of the music isn't the greatest, although it's better if you listen to it streaming, but that costs extra.

I like having it when something newsworthy is happening so I can listen to a news station.

I've got a pretty good deal right now so I'd say the value is worth it, but the regular price is a little steep.
Can you negotiate a lower deal and if so, can you offer tips?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just don’t agree to pay until they offer a rate you are willing to pay. I was paying about $35 every 6 months but I have quit now cause I was sick of it and am cutting costs.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just don’t agree to pay until they offer a rate you are willing to pay. I was paying about $35 every 6 months but I have quit now cause I was sick of it and am cutting costs.
That's about what I'm paying. I just called to cancel and negotiated the better price. It's a pain to have to do it every six months or so, but I'm not paying $20 a month for radio.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I like it, but there can be a lot of repitition on the music channels.

You can mark your favorite artists, and get a notice whenever they are on one of the channels.

Stern does great interviews, but I can't stand anything else he does.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah you should never pay close to full price, before runs out call in and tell them you like it but don't use it enough to justify the cost. They'll give you a deal for 3 months or 6 months or whatever, I've found if you tell them you're still not sure they'll up the offer again. Just make sure you remember when that next renewal is because they will auto charge your credit card. Every time you're up for renewal just repeat, call in to cancel they give you a deal, it's ridiculous but it works.

If you actually cancel they will send you a really good deal, I cancelled mine and they still send me promos once a month, the latest was 5 months for $20
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #10
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sirius is the easiest company I’ve ever dealt wth when it comes to negotiating. A quick google search will give some basic tips. Just don’t accept their first offer. If you do let It expire you’ll start getting really good deals. Right now I pay around $5 per month. Their lifetime subscription is still available. I think it’s $500. But it’s only good for one radio, if you have it in your car and you sell the car you’d need to get another subscription. At least that’s how they explained it a few months ago
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me it's worth it alone for the NFL Radio and Howard Stern. Even if you don't care about that there's a lot of variety in the music and as said above there is a little too much repetition in the channels so you have to just set up your favorites so you can switch from one to another. The comedy channels can also be entertaining.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:10 AM   #12
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've almost gotten Sirius several times but at the last minute decide against it because of all the comments I read about the poor sound quality. I have a 2014 Subaru Impreza and it has without a doubt the worst FM sound quality I have ever heard. It's probably on par or worse than my clock radio. Surely it can't be worse than this. Can anyone with a Subaru comment on the sound quality when it is connected through AUX?

Last edited by shane_c; 12-22-2017 at 05:56 AM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a 2014 Impreza, which head unit do you have? Ours is decent, but I made sure to get the older style, not the fancy big screen one. Bluetooth audio leaves something to be desired, but aux and fm seem fine.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
We have a 2014 Impreza, which head unit do you have? Ours is decent, but I made sure to get the older style, not the fancy big screen one. Bluetooth audio leaves something to be desired, but aux and fm seem fine.
Just the base radio. I did the hidden codes to turn loudness on and put it in through mode and that helped a bit but it's still beyond horrible. I find that CD, BT and USB actually sound pretty good.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh. OK, ya I was going to recommend the hidden modes. My FM hasn't been that bad. Aux is definitely better than BT for us though. Plug your phone in with it and test it out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #16
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can hardwire the stand alone SiriusXM units. I had this done in my old Dakota and it vastly improved the sound quality.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had Sirius from its inception until a few years ago. I did enjoy it for the most part, but ended up cancelling when I scored a good data plan on my cell phone. With all of the streaming options available online (Apple Music, Spotify, TuneIn radio, etc.), Sirius just wasn't getting used as much anymore.

Satellite radio is still good when you're driving through the mountains and cell coverage is spotty, however.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've had it since I got my last car about 3 years ago. I'm thinking of cancelling now since I walk to work now and don't drive much anymore. I could try to negotiate the 6 month thing though.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #19
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Love it. When my trial ended and it came time to renew ,I acted unsure about renewing and they gave me a full year at 80 bucks to stay on. Would have paid either way, can’t ever go back to normal radio
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #20
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You can hardwire the stand alone SiriusXM units. I had this done in my old Dakota and it vastly improved the sound quality.
Music is streamed at such a low quality it won’t ever reach MP3 or similar
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote