Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2016, 04:56 AM   #101
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I'm glad I dove in, have the same worries nik about FPS games these days, but you can find champions who suit your playstyle.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #102
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I have no idea why I keep reading this thread. I don't own this game. I don't play FPS, particularly multiplayer FPS, because I suck at them and don't have time to get good. With the weather being what it is I don't even want to get sucked into a new video game.

But it just looks so damned fun.
Haha, that sounds like me as well. Been watching a TON of Overwatch videos on YouTube. Just no time to play, and I'd probably have to upgrade my system as well.

Played TF2 for a while when it came out, dropped it for a while, and when I came back, got overwhelmed by all the crafting.
I hope the unlocks for Overwatch stay just cosmetic, and not truly affecting the gameplay.

Last edited by Chingyul; 06-09-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #103
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought it last night but only did the training match vs AI. Which of course is laughable.

But I love this Zenyatta character.

Seems pretty overwhelming to learn how to play all 21. Is it better to just learn one from each archetype?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #104
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I pretty much only play D.Va, Mercy (poorly) and McCree/Tracer. Haven't settled on a defensive character that I like yet.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #105
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I bought it last night but only did the training match vs AI. Which of course is laughable.

Seems pretty overwhelming to learn how to play all 21. Is it better to just learn one from each archetype?
Just take your time and try each one - each character has that handy popup which shows their abilities and secondary fire. The best part is no one cares if you're not great because it's really hard to quantify. And if you don't like one - swap it out on your next respawn.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #106
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a good idea to know what all the characters do. That way you know what to expect from them, how to counter, what to avoid and how to exploit.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #107
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

AI training matches (esp on easy) are pretty easy. If you get into the med or hard difficulties, it's harder (obvs)

I picked one of each 3 (tank, healer and dps) to try, so I could have a preferred hero no matter what the group had already picked (or needed).

So I play Reinhardt, Mercy and have found that while I started out on Soldier 76, I like and play better as Pharah. So yeah, pick 2-3 to try, but don't be afraid of trying other ones, too. Since each character really only has a couple of basic moves and the ultimate, they are all pretty easy to pick up, really. If you try one and it's not working well, try another.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #108
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah as time goes on, you'll branch out or see someone do something cool and want to try other characters.

Don't try to learn specific roles, try to learn an Attack Primary and a Defense Primary. For me, I have a descending order of preference:

Attack: Mercy > Pharah > Junkrat > D.Va > Soldier 76 > McCree

Defend: Roadhog > Symmetra > Junkrat > Bastion

On Centre-point Cap maps, I'm usually Pharah or Junkrat since they're fairly versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #109
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
AI training matches (esp on easy) are pretty easy. If you get into the med or hard difficulties, it's harder (obvs)
I realize now how useless this sounds, so let me elaborate on what I actually meant:

I find Vs AI: Easy to be just that. The enemies are super predictable, seem to have horrible aim and lessened damage, and essentially spawn, respawn and train to the point or objective in whatever order they are killed with no teamwork whatsoever. I find this mode handy for learning maps, hidey holes, med packs, snipe points and trying out new heroes as you get an easy opponent and will likely get an Ultimate or two to play with as you learn. An AI: Easy team has never beaten the PC's, that I've seen.

Vs AI: Med is a bit harder. You're going to see a bit more strategy and smarter plays. You will likely be engaged with the enemy and not have time for map exploring. My team will beat a Vs AI: Med team 90% of the time.

Vs AI: Hard is, for me, much like playing against people. They are clever with their abilities, aim, tactics and Ultimates. Like I do against a team of human players, I have a slightly better than 50% win rate (will likely win 50-65% of the time).
Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #110
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Interesting, details on how the game punishes habitual "leavers":

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overw...5234477#post-6
Old 06-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #111
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone have this game on the console? I don't have many...any...online friends so I'll be playing drop in (if that's possible). Is there a bigger community on one console vs the other? Is it like Call of Duty where if I'm not good I'm going through a revolving door of spawns and deaths?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #112
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm playing on PS4. There are plenty of games on at any given time. I think Blizzard is working on cross-platform play between PS4/XB1 so either one should probably be ok in the long term. According to this article, PS4 outsold both PC and XB1. Those numbers are for the UK, but I think over all the PS4 is a more popular console than XB1 these days.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #113
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Does anyone have this game on the console? I don't have many...any...online friends so I'll be playing drop in (if that's possible). Is there a bigger community on one console vs the other? Is it like Call of Duty where if I'm not good I'm going through a revolving door of spawns and deaths?
PS4 has outsold Xbox One basically 2:1, so most multiplatform games are following suit.

And really, you probably will die a lot before you learn the characters and their strengths and weaknesses. But it's a little more encouraging in that, you know where the action is and know what you're going to do to try and take revenge.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #114
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
But it's a little more encouraging in that, you know where the action is and know what you're going to do to try and take revenge.
Hah! I both love and hate the "Kill Cam" for this very reason. There are times I've gone after "the one that got me last time!" to my detriment.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #115
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hah! I both love and hate the "Kill Cam" for this very reason. There are times I've gone after "the one that got me last time!" to my detriment.
Ha, yes, but it is necessary. Think how unstoppable a well-camped Bastion would be if it never showed off where it was.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #116
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ha, yes, but it is necessary. Think how unstoppable a well-camped Bastion would be if it never showed off where it was.
Yep, I like it for that, too. Also showing off Symmetra or Torbjorn's turrets, too (even if they haven't killed me).
Old 06-11-2016, 12:43 AM   #117
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

language
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:07 AM   #118
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friends and I have been playing this game religiously for the last week. Insane amounts of fun.

The biggest draw back for me is the, almost, $80 price tag. It's a lot of money for a game, so if we get to a point where Blizzard is adding maps and hero's(which they should. 21 hero's is fairly small IMO, but maybe I'm just used to LOL where you have 100+ champions to choose from) and charging for it, I may stop playing as religiously.

But until then, this game has firmly planted itself as my #1 played game for the foreseeable future.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #119
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

DLC will be free.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #120
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone have any hero ideas?

I was chatting with my ten year old who plays on Xbox and he wants a guy that splits into three to capture points or move the payload faster. lol

I think they'll add a stealth person - someone who can go invisible for small periods.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote