Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #3641
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kuemper to Calgary makes all kinds of sense.
The Wild will need a backup so Ortio to the Wild for Kuemper and we re-sign Ramo for another 1a, 1b tandem?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #3642
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The Wild will need a backup so Ortio to the Wild for Kuemper and we re-sign Ramo for another 1a, 1b tandem?
Probably have to add a pick to Ortio, late 2nd or our 3rd would fair IMO.

I like Ramo, but I'd be really wary of bringing him back after a serious injury and long lay off. I'd be tempted to snag a UFA if we go the tandem route with a younger guy like Kuemper. Chad Johnson maybe? As he'd be cheaper than Reimer. Heck maybe still go after Reimer. He and Kuemper would still probably only combine for $5-6 million total against the cap.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #3643
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
How painful is it that the three key pieces missing from the Flames are

Physical goal scoring right handed shooting Right Winger
Tough as nails stay at home defenseman who can play against top line players
Elite level goaltender
So you think all we're missing are Curtis Joseph, Cory Sarich, and Chuck Kobasew?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-10-2016, 06:48 PM   #3644
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
I've been saying Flames will land Kuemper in the off-season I think it's only a matter of time:

http://thehockeywriters.com/minnesot...-could-happen/
Nice! Hopefully the Flames capitalize on this opportunity
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 PM   #3645
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

just out of curiosity, what do people think it will cost us to trade for Kuemper?

would a mid second round pick get it done?

and not sure if i would trade Ortio: we still need a back up and Kuemper isn't that consistent...
Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #3646
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do we want the goalie that sucked in Minnesota again? I'm confused
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #3647
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure going after Kuemper is the answer? He is not ready to be a starter and i don't think Calgary should be going the 2 1b goalie route again. I don't have a problem if they get him as a backup, but do they really need to spend assets on a back-up? I would presume if they went the Kuemper route that Ortio would be gone.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #3648
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Kuemper to Calgary makes all kinds of sense.
As a backup maybe. If we roll with Kuemper/Ortio next year, I would expect another top 5 pick that will turn into something worse.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #3649
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Why do we want the goalie that sucked in Minnesota again? I'm confused
Sucked? His numbers are actually decent for a young inexperienced goalie. He only has 84 NHL games so far. I don't want him as the starter, but to back up a more experienced tender while he grows into a starting role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I'm not sure going after Kuemper is the answer? He is not ready to be a starter and i don't think Calgary should be going the 2 1b goalie route again. I don't have a problem if they get him as a backup, but do they really need to spend assets on a back-up? I would presume if they went the Kuemper route that Ortio would be gone.
As I mentioned above, I'd still go after Reimer or an experienced starter via trade. Halak for instance.

Halak (via trade) or Reimer (via UFA) for 2 years @ $4.5 (50~ starts?)
The trade for Kuemper and sign him for 2 years @ $1.5 (30~ starts?)

$6 million is decent cap for a goalie tandem. Ramo/Hiller cost us $8.3 million against the cap last season *shudder* and this new tandem would be a pretty big upgrade IMO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #3650
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
As a backup maybe. If we roll with Kuemper/Ortio next year, I would expect another top 5 pick that will turn into something worse.
Yes, as a back up.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #3651
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd rather just sign Reimer, would not want to spend assets on a 26 year old unproven goalie. Tired of having a below average 1a/1b tandem.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #3652
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is Kuemper that much better than Ortio that he's worth the Flames giving up solid assets to acquire to back up the new starting goaltender? I don't think so but if the price is reasonable I have no issues bringing him in as I'm not sold on Ortio. That writer has an inflated worth of Kuemper on the trade market as we aren't talking about Cam Talbot here and he only fetched a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th pick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #3653
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is Kuemper that much better than Ortio that he's worth the Flames giving up solid assets to acquire to back up the new starting goaltender? I don't think so but if the price is reasonable I have no issues bringing him in as I'm not sold on Ortio. That writer has an inflated worth of Kuemper on the trade market as we aren't talking about Cam Talbot here and he only fetched a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th pick.
Exactly. I think the writer used the word "huge" at one point to describe his value even. The moment I read that I just assumed a bias.

Realistically, and what is soon to be considered a flooded market due to expansion, names like Fleury and Varlamov may become available. Kuemper's value will hardly be huge. He's unproven afterall oh and a UFA after next season to boot.

He actually makes great sense as a backup - but who could turn it on as a pending UFA. I think we get him for one of our 2nds.

Pure guess but I think we inquired about him at the deadline while doing the Jones deal - as the Wild would have wanted him for the playoffs. At the time fletcher (loose lips) said there was deals to be made that had to wait for offseason. Funny it's offseason and now he's broadcasting Kuemper.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:37 PM   #3654
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting a better backup is secondary to getting a proven #1 goalie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #3655
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
I'd rather just sign Reimer, would not want to spend assets on a 26 year old unproven goalie. Tired of having a below average 1a/1b tandem.
Kuemper (26 years old), 84 gp over 3 NHL backup seasons. Posts an NHL average of 2.47 GAA and 0.912 Sv%

Reimer (28 years old), 215gp over 6 NHL backup seasons (averaging 35gp per season). Posts an average of 2.79 GAA and 0.914 Sv%

Basically, Reimer just proves he is a good backup, but he's never played remotely close to 60 games in a season.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:21 PM   #3656
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Kuemper (26 years old), 84 gp over 3 NHL backup seasons. Posts an NHL average of 2.47 GAA and 0.912 Sv%

Reimer (28 years old), 215gp over 6 NHL backup seasons (averaging 35gp per season). Posts an average of 2.79 GAA and 0.914 Sv%

Basically, Reimer just proves he is a good backup, but he's never played remotely close to 60 games in a season.
And Kiprusoff didn't even look like a good backup when we acquired him back in the day. Think his GAA was over 3.00. Hard to read too much into numbers especially when a guy like Reimer has played on some Leafs teams who had some pretty mediocre to bad defences in front of him. Reimer has looked pretty good on the Sharks. I personally think he'd be a fine starter but I don't mind if Treliving wants to go in another direction either.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #3657
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post

I'm not advocating signing Reimer but Kemper played for one of the best defensive teams in the league, Reimer played for Toronto. Straight number comparison doesn't do justice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #3658
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default 2015/2016 Trade Speculation and Rumors v2

Would rather have Fleury than Reimer. Pens won't be able to keep both and obviously Murray is ready to be a #1.

Fleury is a vet with lots in the tank still, experienced at all levels, won a cup. He has issues with consistency, especially in the playoffs, but is a legit starter. The Flames need a legit starter, no more tandem 1B/2A BS. No to Ramo, some of you people are crazy!

I'd be happy with Fleury/Kuemper or Fleury/Ortio.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #3659
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While I'm not quite feeling brown yet, if he fulfills potential he could be more useful than anyone outside the top 3. If that's who we get, then I trust the scouts and Treliving to know their stuff. I think he has skating because to me he looked slow but he always seemed to get where he needed to.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #3660
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For some reason I see Fleury costing us too much. Conroy mentioned they were looking for that diamond in the rough again. I just don't see them shelling out the coin for Fleury who will be getting on in age. They were after Murray doesn't make them after Fleiry - and that concussion was a big deal at the end there as well...

I see them making a not-so-obvious creative move tbh. Maybe Reimer/Kuemper? A part of me thinks they could swing something with Colorado for Pickard as well. Enroth as UFA maybe?

They will have a lot of money to shell out to Monohan and Gaudreau, don't see them paying Fleury.

Last edited by Dr. Doom; 05-11-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Closed Thread