Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #4741
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Eternal Darkness is still one of my favorite console games ever made. Don't really get inventiveness like that nowadays.

Too bad Silicon Knights followed up ED and MGS: Twin Snakes (which was also a fantastic NGC exclusive title) with hot garbage and ran the company into the dirt.
I feel like Silicon Knights, like Rare before them, benefited a lot from working closely with Nintendo on exclusive games, then tanked when they moved on from that partnership.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #4742
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Does that even matter?

Nintendo has been behind hardware-wise since the N64. They didn't even try with the Gamecube or Wii.

That's not the game they're playing.
It does matter...their systems have a shorter lifespan largely due to lack of 3rd party support.

Wii was a fad and sold like crazy...really though it only sold well for a short period. I don't think the Switch can continue at this pace long enough to match the PS4. This isn't to say it's bad or anything...it's just been a perfect storm due to the Wii U bombing they have a market starving for Nintendo products and multiple ports ready for year one/two on the new console. Zelda and Mario in one year won't be happening again. Zelda was in development for almost a decade.

Great system if you like portability especially...I just don't think it has the legs to pass PS4
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #4743
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 PM   #4744
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heh, can you imagine Microsoft buying EA? Only to close them like all their other studios and the ones they have bought out in the past.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16...ysis-microsoft

The Xbox One has a serious exclusive games problem

As we tumble into the mass-consumer era of this console generation, the Xbox One is far behind the PlayStation 4 in terms of global install base. Microsoft refuses to release hardware sales numbers, but analysts we spoke to estimate the Xbox One at around 35 million, compared to the PlayStation 4 at more than 73 million.

That yawning 2-to-1 disparity is unlikely to get better this year. A look at the two companies’ 2018 exclusives roster makes for grim reading, at least for Xbox fans.

Spencer knows he’s got a problem. He said so himself. “Our ability to go create content has to be one of our strengths,” he told Bloomberg late last year. “We haven’t always invested at the same level. We’ve gone through ups and downs in the investment.”

We spoke to four analysts who all agreed that Microsoft needs to act soon, and that major acquisitions are by far the most likely route.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #4745
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Heh, can you imagine Microsoft buying EA? Only to close them like all their other studios and the ones they have bought out in the past.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/29/16...ysis-microsoft

The Xbox One has a serious exclusive games problem

As we tumble into the mass-consumer era of this console generation, the Xbox One is far behind the PlayStation 4 in terms of global install base. Microsoft refuses to release hardware sales numbers, but analysts we spoke to estimate the Xbox One at around 35 million, compared to the PlayStation 4 at more than 73 million.

That yawning 2-to-1 disparity is unlikely to get better this year. A look at the two companies’ 2018 exclusives roster makes for grim reading, at least for Xbox fans.

Spencer knows he’s got a problem. He said so himself. “Our ability to go create content has to be one of our strengths,” he told Bloomberg late last year. “We haven’t always invested at the same level. We’ve gone through ups and downs in the investment.”

We spoke to four analysts who all agreed that Microsoft needs to act soon, and that major acquisitions are by far the most likely route.
I don't see it - maybe they buy a specific division (Bioware?) but I don't see how they make a financial case for the entirety of EA.

Their board hasn't wanted to invest in making games in the past - let alone spend $40B to buy a company's whose sole purpose is to make games.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #4746
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ubisoft would make more sense if they are going big game hunting because the cost would not be as astronomic. They would have the excusive for AC and Far Cry, Tom Clancy games, etc. It's harder and harder to just buy up developers seeing most of the promising studios have already been bought by larger companies. Sony simply had a much better plan for this generation as they put a better resources into securing exclusives games while Microsoft kind dropped the ball. That said I feel a lot of the damage was done at launch as the PS4 was more powerful and cheaper and the backlash from the outrage of the console possibly not being able to play used games. They kind of hitched their wagon to Kinect which was undercooked and had no appealing applications. That said an Xbox One X with the Elite controller IMO is far superior to the PS4 Pro but the momentum is so big that there's just no chance Microsoft to get back into the race.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #4747
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Ubisoft would make more sense if they are going big game hunting because the cost would not be as astronomic. They would have the excusive for AC and Far Cry, Tom Clancy games, etc. It's harder and harder to just buy up developers seeing most of the promising studios have already been bought by larger companies. Sony simply had a much better plan for this generation as they put a better resources into securing exclusives games while Microsoft kind dropped the ball. That said I feel a lot of the damage was done at launch as the PS4 was more powerful and cheaper and the backlash from the outrage of the console possibly not being able to play used games. They kind of hitched their wagon to Kinect which was undercooked and had no appealing applications. That said an Xbox One X with the Elite controller IMO is far superior to the PS4 Pro but the momentum is so big that there's just no chance Microsoft to get back into the race.
Good points, and overall I see what their doing with the X now (which yeah - is an awesome console) as building a foundation for future success. If they go out and acquire someone (agreed, Ubi makes more sense), I think there'd be an overpowering sense of excitement around the Xbox brand (...at least from me).

They built a hell of a console in the X, now they just have to come out and nail a games lineup - which I think they will.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-30-2018 at 10:43 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #4748
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been beating this drum for a decade, but how long til Nintendo gets bought? Their IPs alone are just waaay too valuable.

And I know Nintendo is on a high note right now, but it seems every few years their market value plummets before rebounding.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #4749
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah don't see it happening unless they crash their next generation.

Switch has sold 14.86M units Lifetime to date...which is 10 months. Already surpassed the Wii U, and is keeping pace with the Wii & PS4 so far.

Super Mario Odyssey sold 9.06M units in two months, and is at a 61% attach rate. Outsold Battlefront 2 - which is crazy considering that game was on XBOX, PS4, & PC. #NobodyWantsSinglePlayerGames

Just a crazy rebound year for Nintendo.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #4750
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

9 million sales in 2 months for Mario Odyssey is insane. Fantastic game, definitely earned, but man Nintendo must be throwing parties.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:44 AM   #4751
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
9 million sales in 2 months for Mario Odyssey is insane. Fantastic game, definitely earned, but man Nintendo must be throwing parties.
Nintendo has a license to print money all they need to do is remake games on the switch and the cash rains in. Its good to set a slower pace to keep the fans wanting more but they could unload a ton of games for switch right now like 3DS Pokémon titles and they couldn't cash the cheques fast enough.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:56 PM   #4752
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Switch is going to steamroll the Vita right away and likely the Xbone in less than 2 years. I was hoping they might have a 1080p revision but the thing isn't slowing down for them to realistically bother for a long time.

Nintendo prints money meme.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM   #4753
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The Switch is going to steamroll the Vita right away and likely the Xbone in less than 2 years. I was hoping they might have a 1080p revision but the thing isn't slowing down for them to realistically bother for a long time.

Nintendo prints money meme.
Just need to photoshop a switch into this picture:
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #4754
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
You can't even buy a Vita in most stores. It was dead before the Switch arrived.

There is very little comparison to Switch vs. either PS4 or Xbox One. They do not compete for the same customer base. There is overlap in that customer base, but they offer much different things. If you want Nintendo's first party games its the only option, and yay Mario, but for everything else both the PS4 and Xbox One are far superior.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2018, 12:27 AM   #4755
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
You can't even buy a Vita in most stores. It was dead before the Switch arrived.

There is very little comparison to Switch vs. either PS4 or Xbox One. They do not compete for the same customer base. There is overlap in that customer base, but they offer much different things. If you want Nintendo's first party games its the only option, and yay Mario, but for everything else both the PS4 and Xbox One are far superior.
This

Likewise, Nintendo exclusives do nothing for me. Im glad its doing well, Nintendo needed it, but the Switch is irrelevant really, as far as my needs go

Last edited by btimbit; 02-02-2018 at 12:34 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #4756
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post

Yeah. A large portion of gamers that own the PS4 or XB1 aren't even considering a switch. Heck I have two young boys and it's not on their radar. As you say there's definitely some overlap but the Nintendo consoles appeal to a more broad base of casual gamers as well as parents that want to buy their kids a console that has fewer M rated titles available.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #4757
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lost complete interest in Nintendo the moment I got a Genesis and never went back. Mario and Zelda will always be part of my childhood but I have no interest in playing their games or similar Nintendo games now. And the games I would be interested in I can already get on my PS4 or Xbox One.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #4758
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The Switch is also pretty much irrelevant to me as I have no interest in Nintendo franchises except for Punch Out.

I was a big DS fan back in the day but it was for interesting 3rd party games. I also don't want to carry around any more devices with me. I'll keep an eye out of any interesting franchises that show up on Switch that would be killer apps for me though but there's nothing on the horizon.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-04-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #4759
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/987171304800423939

https://twitter.com/user/status/984843114450845696

Last edited by chemgear; 04-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 12:18 AM   #4760
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

What? Sony has had amazing exclusives since the PS1 era, and Microsoft has had over 15 years to do the same
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote