Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #3841
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Really the issue is it's impossible to know how close he is because of the injury.

In the 7 games pre-injury the kid had 2 shutouts and a .920 save percentage which is pretty good.

Maybe Gillies doesn't get hurt, puts up a .930 save percentage in the AHL and then everybody is saying his performance in the AHL this season was just as good as what Matt Murray did last season.

Murray looks like the better goalie right now but that's just because he's actually had the opportunity to prove himself. Sadly the injury prevented Gillies from getting that opportunity.

I agree 100% and hopefully Gillies comes in next year and does exactly that. I'm just hoping the Flames aren't counting on that and have a solid plan in place for the goalies. Should be an exciting off season regardless!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #3842
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Really the issue is it's impossible to know how close he is because of the injury.

In the 7 games pre-injury the kid had 2 shutouts and a .920 save percentage which is pretty good.

Maybe Gillies doesn't get hurt, puts up a .930 save percentage in the AHL and then everybody is saying his performance in the AHL this season was just as good as what Matt Murray did last season.

Murray looks like the better goalie right now but that's just because he's actually had the opportunity to prove himself. Sadly the injury prevented Gillies from getting that opportunity.

The wild card is that he didn't really get injured, he had a chronic problem. If that problem is resolved he might come back better than before same as Demko did
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 05-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #3843
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Sorry, went back and edited my post before you quoted. Have a read now.

Fact is we need a goalie for next year. Best case scenario for Gillies is that he becomes what Murray is now 2 years down the line.
Yes, we need a goalie for this year.

But we are not so empty in the system that we should pay such a high price to get one.

There will be goalies available that will be substantially cheaper.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #3844
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kind of weird how we've spent dozens of pages talking about acquiring Matt Murray, when someone like Varlamov is reportedly available and we've barely discussed it.

The guy is a solid option. Better than Andersen and Reimer? I think so. But he'd probably cost more to get as well.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:08 AM   #3845
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
It's kind of weird how we've spent dozens of pages talking about acquiring Matt Murray, when someone like Varlamov is reportedly available and we've barely discussed it.

The guy is a solid option. Better than Andersen and Reimer? I think so. But he'd probably cost more to get as well.
At around $6mil a year, I am not sure he is that much better or cost that much more. Could be in the conversation for sure, though. To me, he would be in a similar situation as Bishop. If there are cap/expansion issues that force a guy out, then the acquisition cost should be lower. I would trust Bishop more, but the risk would be his UFA status coming up.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #3846
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

How great would it be for Gillies to win the starting job out of camp with shutouts in his preseason starts, and cement himself as the starter for the next ten years as he leads the team into the playoffs in 2017.

Ortio can ride shotgun, the Flames pay next to nothing for goaltending and can reinvest those dollars in securing a few key pieces.

Yeah, I think I like the sound of that. If only it were so easy, lol.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #3847
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I will admit that there is part of me who wonders if it's not worth absolutely cheaping out on the goaltending and playing chicken with the expansion draft. I mean what would the Ortio and Ramo tandem realistically cost you next year. No more than 3 million combined. Ramo's only other option realistically is Russia right now. So if you can't get a Pickard or Korpisalo or whomever else is a backup to potential starter for one of the 2nd round picks in the 50's....maybe you stay patient.

That expansion draft is going to force someone to blink, if the urgency isn't there now for Tampa to trade Vasilevski or Bishop. It will eventually show up. If the protected lists are what the rumors are suggesting I don't see expansion teams
Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #3848
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get not wanting to trade 6th overall for a goalie. It's not sexy, especially around draft time. How about if BT could swing a "trade down" type scenario though?

For example, 6th overall to Tampa for Vasilevskiy and 27th overall (playoff pending)? Or 6th overall to Anaheim for Gibson and 24th overall?

Flames get a really good young goalie with a ton of upside, and still have a chance to nab a solid player like Rubtsov or Gauthier if they drop a bit. Or package 35th overall with the 20-something pick to move up into the teens and snag a decent player?
Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #3849
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I will admit that there is part of me who wonders if it's not worth absolutely cheaping out on the goaltending and playing chicken with the expansion draft. I mean what would the Ortio and Ramo tandem realistically cost you next year. No more than 3 million combined. Ramo's only other option realistically is Russia right now. So if you can't get a Pickard or Korpisalo or whomever else is a backup to potential starter for one of the 2nd round picks in the 50's....maybe you stay patient.

That expansion draft is going to force someone to blink, if the urgency isn't there now for Tampa to trade Vasilevski or Bishop. It will eventually show up. If the protected lists are what the rumors are suggesting I don't see expansion teams
Treliving played chicken last year signing Ramo before peddling Hiller and it resulted in the 3-headed goalie monster. I don't think he will take any chances this offseason and I don't think Ramo will be in any conversations for next season.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #3850
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Treliving played chicken last year signing Ramo before peddling Hiller and it resulted in the 3-headed goalie monster. I don't think he will take any chances this offseason and I don't think Ramo will be in any conversations for next season.

Yeah, I don't see Treliving playing that game. If it fails he looks like a terrible GM who has no clue. Many already want to blame him for this past lost season when I personally don't think it's justified. If he goes into next season though without making any major changes/upgrades to the goaltending he could committing career suicide.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #3851
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stupid Dallas, that late first would have been such a nice trading chip.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #3852
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Bobrovsky could likely be had on the cheap, if Korpisalo has emerged like some in here are suggesting. Bob makes 7.4M per, for another 3 years. Maybe we could send Stajan + a late 2nd for him?

Something concerning with him though... Both his sv% and GAA have regressed for 3 consecutive years. Is that a product of the team in front of him, or is it a case of another young Russian who's made his money in the NHL and is thinking of heading back home? The latter is judgemental... But it's hard not to go there.

Has anyone spent much time watching him these last couple years? His contract would be a massive anchor if he regresses a 4th year in a row.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:17 PM   #3853
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

The best Ramo may get IMO is a training camp invite if he isn't signed, so the Flames can do him a solid and let him showcase for other teams
Old 05-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #3854
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Teams with up and coming young goalies that look like they could be start but are behind a well paid starter are:
TB
DET
PIT
CBJ
COL
NYI
ANA
MIN

Might be able to slot STL in there as well but not so highly paid.

Depending on if there is an expansion draft, might be able to get either side from any of these team at a decent price. There are lots of options, some better than others, of course.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #3855
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
The best Ramo may get IMO is a training camp invite if he isn't signed, so the Flames can do him a solid and let him showcase for other teams
The Flames should be using the pre season to evaluate their own goalies. Not for showcasing a goalie for other teams.

The Flames have already done Ramo a solid by giving him two nice contracts that his abilities and resume could not justify.
Closed Thread