Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #41
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayduke's dad View Post
I have seen people remortgage their house, lines of credit and credit cards just to pay for the extras.

On a team of 18 kids their aren't 18 Craig Heisinger's as dads. As the article says about the single mom of 3.
"Basically, we just save everything we can and everything goes toward hockey," says Wiltshire, who has three younger children who will soon be strapping on blades. "Our whole life is hockey. It's at the point where if you want to stay in the more elite level teams, you have to do the extra stuff."
Are we still talking about Canada here? Last time I checked you didn't need to be wealthy in any way, shape or form to attend University. Post Secondary education in Canada is not cost prohibitive, even without family support.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #42
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
A sport in the spring that can shake it up and have some transferable skills like hand-eye coordination and always moving with your head up that the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Joe Nieuwendyk and Joe Sakic all played?

Not to mention if the hockey thing doesn't work out, there are many scholarships to be had south of the border as well.

Timely.

Also, anyone using hockey as a reason to "get a scholarship" south of the border is foolish. Most Canadian institutions are top notch and offer tuition levels far far below their U.S. counterparts.

Other than the Big10, I can't think of a conference that would give a hockey scholarship and would provide you with a quality education on par with Canadian schools. I know playing hockey can help with your resume to get into the Ivy league but you're still going to cough up 100k.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 AM   #43
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
The other cost to this is that some parents take the fun out of it. A recent study found that 62% of youths worried about not playing well and about making a mistake and 23% said anxiety could prevent them from playing in the future.
There's a lot missing there, in particular the basis for those answers. Players, even kids, put pressure on themselves to perform all the time. My parents never put an ounce of pressure on me, and yet I was always worried about playing well and making a mistake. I put that pressure on myself because I wanted to perform at a high level. Eventually the pressure and anxiety burned me out of playing football, it just stopped being fun, but it never came from my parents. heck, I was an adult when i made the decision to hang em up.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #44
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Timely.

Also, anyone using hockey as a reason to "get a scholarship" south of the border is foolish. Most Canadian institutions are top notch and offer tuition levels far far below their U.S. counterparts.

Other than the Big10, I can't think of a conference that would give a hockey scholarship and would provide you with a quality education on par with Canadian schools. I know playing hockey can help with your resume to get into the Ivy league but you're still going to cough up 100k.
The Ivy's do a pretty good job of finding cash in their endowments for athletes, and need based scholarships are all over the place. Outside of that and the Big 10 there are a few good East coast schools (BC, BU, Providence etc.) that offer top notch academics as well as hockey.

At the end of the day your point in the first paragraph really nails it though. There are very few scholarships at US schools available to Canadian hockey players, and most of them are going to guys who are the best of the best. The math just doesn't make sense.

Honestly the goal should be left to the child. Give him/her the information and help them make their decisions, but ultimately it needs to be their decision. Do they want to chase that scholarship even if the odds are slim? If so support them as best you can. Do they want to spend their summers golfing? Get them some clubs. There's nothing wrong with decisions in either direction, they just need to be based upon educated choices. And when they're 6 years old just let them do what makes them happy, one of the best players I grew up with didn't play organized hockey until he was 12. Taking a summer of when you're 6 is not going to kill your draft stock.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Timely.
I apologize if such names are considered too dated:

Steven Stamkos, John Tavares (not to be confused with his uncle in this case), Kyle Turris, Logan Couture and Rick Nash are just some of the names of current NHL players who dabbled with lacrosse.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #46
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
There's a lot missing there, in particular the basis for those answers. Players, even kids, put pressure on themselves to perform all the time. My parents never put an ounce of pressure on me, and yet I was always worried about playing well and making a mistake. I put that pressure on myself because I wanted to perform at a high level. Eventually the pressure and anxiety burned me out of playing football, it just stopped being fun, but it never came from my parents. heck, I was an adult when i made the decision to hang em up.

True but when I was a kid I used to walk to the rink myself after school and was lucky if my parents checked in on my practice near the end to give me a ride home. Same thing for games and often we would catch rides with the handful of parents/coaches who were able to make it to the games. The parental involvment was very minimal. Now you have parents way too involved and as a coach I see this first hand. You hear feedback from the kids and the pressure today is comming more and more from the parents who have become increasingly involved and increasinly critical of their kids on ice performance, the refs performance, the coaches performance etc. Everything is micro managed. The real fun is still happening outdoors where kids are playing unstructured hockey and there is no pressure. The pressure of organized hockey can become unhealthy.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #47
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macker View Post
True but when I was a kid I used to walk to the rink myself after school and was lucky if my parents checked in on my practice near the end to give me a ride home. Same thing for games and often we would catch rides with the handful of parents/coaches who were able to make it to the games. The parental involvment was very minimal. Now you have parents way too involved and as a coach I see this first hand. You hear feedback from the kids and the pressure today is comming more and more from the parents who have become increasingly involved and increasinly critical of their kids on ice performance, the refs performance, the coaches performance etc. Everything is micro managed. The real fun is still happening outdoors where kids are playing unstructured hockey and there is no pressure. The pressure of organized hockey can become unhealthy.
I don't know, my Dad was at every single game or practice I had as a kid, coached me in hockey and as a long time former player was pretty respected around the football field and I didn't get any of that. There were also parents who were exactly the types you describe. The point is that it's not about playing on outdoor rinks or the structure, it's about the individuals involved.

I also always had way more fun playing in real games than on outdoor rinks, at least until playing at the outdoor rink involved a couple of cases of Pil in the snowbank.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #48
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember reading an interview/article in the Hockey News a few years back where kids would ask players questions. One group of questions was for Iginla, and one of his questions was from a kid who asked Jarome basically how to become a better hockey player. Jarome's response? Play all sports...Iggy was a good baseball player growing up.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
Kinda funny.

Parents having some kid flown in from out of province to play ringer for a tournement on their kid's team, and still convincing themselves that its THEIR kid who is going to be the one who makes it to the NHL...
i could rationalize my kid playing on an elite team, where everybody pays the same amount - but flying in another kid from out of the region to play on the team - I would not be keen on subsidizing that........
Old 02-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #50
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think people need to keep in mind that all of these stories specifically go after the "sensational" situations and the contreversial fringes of what they are covering. I've got two boys that have been through the spring hockey scene. I've come across no situation where the parents harbour illusions that their kids will go to the NHL. The experiences have been great for the kids to play with other kids that are both skilled and also keen to play more hockey.

At the same time, my boys have played lacrosse, school volleyball, basketball, cross country, track and summer football. They also maintain their top priority which is great marks. We as parents love to watch them play but no moreso than our daughter's figure skating...which by the way is way more time consuming, and expensive than any hockey program.

So take all of these sensational stories with grain of salt. There are crazy stories in every sport. There are crazy parents in every community. But please don't make assumptions that just because something is elite, expensive or time consuming that it is wrong. Regardless of how far my kids go with sports, the life lesson of having a passion, working hard and getting rewarded for your hard work is a lesson that will benefit them no matter what they go into in life.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #51
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Are we still talking about Canada here? Last time I checked you didn't need to be wealthy in any way, shape or form to attend University. Post Secondary education in Canada is not cost prohibitive, even without family support.
$4,000 - $6,000 a year (doubled if you need to go out of town) x 4 years = $16,000 - $48,000 per child. That's a big chunk of money, especially for a single parent. The median income for a lone-parent families in Manitoba is $32,000.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #52
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
$4,000 - $6,000 a year (doubled if you need to go out of town) x 4 years = $16,000 - $48,000 per child. That's a big chunk of money, especially for a single parent. The median income for a lone-parent families in Manitoba is $32,000.
Not really, you're presuming that university students cant work and that you can't get loans to cover the costs in the short term. Again, post secondary education in Canada is not cost prohibitive.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #53
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I hope if I have a son he sucks at hockey until he's 20 and starts playing beer league. 95% of 16 year old boys who are really good at hockey are complete dickbags.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #54
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I hope if I have a son he sucks at hockey until he's 20 and starts playing beer league. 95% of 16 year old boys who are really good at hockey are complete dickbags.
i told myself i didn't want my kid to play hockey either, just basketball, soccer and volleyball (one pair of shoes a year)... then he liked hockey, luckily he hates the practice and would rather just skate around and play with me while I work on my backward crossovers and try to figure out how to use those in a practical situation.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #55
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ don't work on them much, these days they teach kids to skates backwards using c-cuts. Using backwards cross overs increases your risk of tripping over your feet.

However, if you are really determined to learn this skill, start by getting comfortable just doing cross overs side to side. the progress to doing them forwards around one of the faceoff circles. then do it backwards - ensure you are not looking down at your feet as your head is heavy and will pull you down.

if your kid likes hockey, but hates practice - you might want to look into rec hockey calgary as I beleive it is just games no practices.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #56
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for bumping an old thread. I was going to start a new thread on the same topic, did a search and found this one. Some good discussion in here so far.

My son turns seven this week. Currently he is playing initiation in Red Deer. I just registered him for spring hockey. I was curious to see what other parents in different parts of the province, or country, are paying for spring hockey at this age (or any age for that matter). What the experience was like, and what did your kid think of playing spring league?

With tax the fees here in Red Deer cost $729.00 for april and may.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #57
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Sorry for bumping an old thread. I was going to start a new thread on the same topic, did a search and found this one. Some good discussion in here so far.

My son turns seven this week. Currently he is playing initiation in Red Deer. I just registered him for spring hockey. I was curious to see what other parents in different parts of the province, or country, are paying for spring hockey at this age (or any age for that matter). What the experience was like, and what did your kid think of playing spring league?

With tax the fees here in Red Deer cost $729.00 for april and may.

With who?

Forgot to say I am not a fan of Spring Hockey.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 02-27-2014 at 12:07 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #58
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My son's (6) is playing 3 on 3 spring hockey at a cost of $600 for 20 ice times. His regular hockey (timbit) was 600 for the year plus another 300 cash call but that also included spring power skating.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #59
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
that's quite cheap. I've paid in the $1100 range plus tournaments and stuff. Heard junior hitmen are in the $1500+ range same with edge school.

What is "initiation"?

We played a team from red deer last year. It was an 8am game in edmonton. the red deer coach had their 7 year olds up before the game doing "dryland training". i think they were called the rustlers.

ffs

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #60
superfarmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My youngest played two years at the PeeWee level in the Top Guns program. Was a good experience for him the cost is atrocious but if you have a competitive kid with talent and if you can afford, let him do it. We drove 150 miles round trip from out in the country to the city 4 times a week.
superfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote