Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #81
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught up and finished the first season. I thought it was fairly decent, but come on- Brother Day is one hell of a character. I thought Brother Dawn was a pretty intriguing storyline as well.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #82
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Finally caught up and finished the first season. I thought it was fairly decent, but come on- Brother Day is one hell of a character. I thought Brother Dawn was a pretty intriguing storyline as well.
I thought all of the Cleons were pretty good. I'm just glad we got through this season and hopefully the show finds its feet and gets on track.

That was an okay first season, it certainly had some rocky episodes though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:39 AM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-pl...2.html?src=rss

Season 2 this summer. Hopefully they work out some of the really bad stuff from season 1.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:32 AM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, first episode of Season 2 drops today.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-15-2023, 07:16 PM   #85
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Heads up, first episode of Season 2 drops today.
Given the butchery that was Season 1...I'll pass.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:03 PM   #86
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone keep up with this show? I'm not a book reader but I've quite enjoyed much of season 2 especially the last episode.

Still can't say Salvor was cast correctly as I don't feel the actress pulls me into the character at all, but the rest of the cast has been wonderful (I supposed Gaal is a little weak too, but that feels more on the writing than the actress).

I feel its taken a good step from season 1 imo, but maybe it is because I don't have the knowledge of the books. If anyone hasn't read the books I would be ok reccomending Foundation, just might be a bit of a tough go for season 1.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #87
Knut

Exp:

I have read the books 4 times through.

It is way different than the books, but that is somewhat good. There is a lot of people standing around talking in the books. It would be pretty boring.

Season 2 is definitely a step up. It is not a classic by any means but it is enjoyable enough.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 01:35 PM   #88
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the Empire plot was great in season 1, but the Terminus plot was tedious. I think this season is much more consistent... maybe the Empire plot isn't quite as good as Season 1, but everything else much better than it was in Season 1. This season I don't hate it when it cuts away to the cleric plotline or the Mentallic plotline. I think Jared Harris was underused in the second half of the first season, and so even if it's extremely different from the books, having not just pre-recorded holograms of him (if I'm remembering the book correctly) but some continuing conscious existence is a really good change from the books as far as adapting it for television.

Last edited by octothorp; 09-08-2023 at 05:17 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 06:46 PM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Anyone keep up with this show? I'm not a book reader but I've quite enjoyed much of season 2 especially the last episode.

Still can't say Salvor was cast correctly as I don't feel the actress pulls me into the character at all, but the rest of the cast has been wonderful (I supposed Gaal is a little weak too, but that feels more on the writing than the actress).

I feel its taken a good step from season 1 imo, but maybe it is because I don't have the knowledge of the books. If anyone hasn't read the books I would be ok reccomending Foundation, just might be a bit of a tough go for season 1.
I like that its different enough.

People who wanted a beat-for-beat show about the books were obviously going to be disappointed, that was just a thing that was never going to happen.

I will still say though that...its not great. It feels like its straddling the line between being 'Foundation' and its own thing. And its not doing it all that well.

Which can be okay. If they'd just been up-front and honest about taking some of the core concepts and characters and then just changing a bunch of stuff I'd be more willing to be generous, but this isnt that.

But I'd have been okay with that. Gun to my head and someone says they want to make 'Foundation' into a TV show and I'd say "It can't be done."

This is....pretty good? All things considered? Like 6/10?

But I also wonder, and I kind of get the feeling, that this might be a 'Slow-Burn.' I do get the feeling that this is all just a setup for something huge. If it is, cool. If not, that'll be disappointing.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:24 PM   #90
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like that its different enough.

People who wanted a beat-for-beat show about the books were obviously going to be disappointed, that was just a thing that was never going to happen.

I will still say though that...its not great. It feels like its straddling the line between being 'Foundation' and its own thing. And its not doing it all that well.

Which can be okay. If they'd just been up-front and honest about taking some of the core concepts and characters and then just changing a bunch of stuff I'd be more willing to be generous, but this isnt that.

But I'd have been okay with that. Gun to my head and someone says they want to make 'Foundation' into a TV show and I'd say "It can't be done."

This is....pretty good? All things considered? Like 6/10?

But I also wonder, and I kind of get the feeling, that this might be a 'Slow-Burn.' I do get the feeling that this is all just a setup for something huge. If it is, cool. If not, that'll be disappointing.
I can't remember which reddit thread I saw it but somebody mentioned that David Goyer was excited for people to watch the season finale if they enjoyed episode 9. Therefore that might mean some big is going to happen.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 07:29 PM   #91
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
I can't remember which reddit thread I saw it but somebody mentioned that David Goyer was excited for people to watch the season finale if they enjoyed episode 9. Therefore that might mean some big is going to happen.
Oh. I havent read that, but you can kind of feel it coming.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:25 AM   #92
Knut

Exp:

Episode 9 was fantastic.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:42 AM   #93
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Episode 9 was fantastic.
I think the show is really finding its feet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 03:51 PM   #94
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very much enjoyed both seasons, all episodes, great show.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2023, 08:01 AM   #95
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huge fan here. Love the slow burn on the characters. Special effects top notch. Hope we get a season 3 next year.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #96
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Season 1 disappointed me aside from the Cleon storyline. I guess from the reviews I'll give Season 2 a try.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #97
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Huge fan here. Love the slow burn on the characters. Special effects top notch. Hope we get a season 3 next year.
No question, it is a beautiful show. The effects, the music, the sets and scenery.

I gotta say...I really enjoyed Season 2. Season 1...oof...that was pretty rocky, but I think Season 2 found its feet and if this trajectory continues a Season 3 should be amazing.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:47 AM   #98
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

So… is the I, Robot movie canon?
Old 09-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #99
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
So… is the I, Robot movie canon?
Book spoilers:

Spoiler!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #100
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know about the books. Just poking fun since that atrocious I, Robot movie fits in with what they said.